• Thread starter Deleted-442439
  • Start date
  • Views 109,232
  • Replies 279
  • Likes 21
D

Deleted-442439

OP
I'm not sure how to respond without being rude... I'm fairly certain I know the difference between a dead battery and a sleeping switch...

Not trying to be rude, just asking since the Switch will enter a sort of sleep mode with a red battery in the top right if you try "unlock it", and not power completely down.

When a Atmosphere dev says this is impossible, we sort of need to rule out everything.

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Huh, well this is puzzling, I can't think of anything else.... @rajkosto you got any input on this?
When it's "dead", it is more of a trickle charge and will take much longer. Almost every electronic does this. It can't access any hardware with such a low power level so it just slowly does it's thing. Cell phones do it too.

Last edited by EclipseSin,

link42586

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even switches that have been bricked by 3rd party docks can enter RCM mode because it's way before the battery stuff is even initialized. So charging in RCM is impossible?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is their some kind of difference in Rei's autoRCM payload?

D

Deleted-442439

OP
Even switches that have been bricked by 3rd party docks can enter RCM mode because it's way before the battery stuff is even initialized. So charging in RCM is impossible?

It should be, the console should not have any internal logic to enable that in RCM, but people above say they somehow have been able to charge,while others have said they needed to unplug/replug the battery or even charge it in another Switch to get back into RCM, so there seems to be no clear answer here.

GBA rocks

Trophies
XP
Country
Well even if it is true, one just need to always have a second battery or a second (unmodded) switch handy, right?

I see joycon-less dock-less tablet only switches on ebay that would fit the role of an emergency charging cradle for a dead battery...down the line they could be more common and less pricey..

D

Deleted-442439

OP
Well even if it is true, one just need to always have a second battery or a second (unmodded) switch handy, right?

I see joycon-less dock-less tablet only switches on ebay that would fit the role of an emergency charging cradle for a dead battery...down the line they could be more common and less pricey..

Yep, but I think the prices will rise once Mariko is out :/

Reactions: SaffronXL

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know the electrical or hardware schematics of the Switch, nor do I know what specifically happens electrically during charging

But what if we had a bunch of people armed with multimeters open their switches and check the batteries to see if any current is going into/through/whatever them during RCM while connected to a charger?

surely you devs and other people have switches and multimeters to do this right

D

Deleted-442439

OP
https://twitter.com/ktemkin/status/989782397431332864 That part I was talking about is on this thread. That's how I knew that.

From that thread Kate herself says that there should be no battery code:

upload_2018-5-25_5-20-50.png

D

Deleted-442439

OP
I'm sorry but I must ask, if it's that required, then how the hell does someone boot up a switch from a completely dead battery. If it's that dependent, shouldn't store some power first and then turn on?

It works because you have a charger plugged in and thus power, when a charger is plugged in the Switch will boot without pressing power, so that should be no problem as the "charging code" is loaded immediately.

When we are talking RCM the PC can't supply enough power to reliably keep the Switch alive if the battery is truly dead, so getting to a chargeable state can be impossible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: With other peoples couches