Hacking Suggestion [IMPORTANT] Possible Nintendo server changes to block web applets from working

• Thread starter Deleted-442439
  • Start date
  • Views 59,044
  • Replies 183
  • Likes 21

Jungle_Jon

Trophies
XP
Country
Well does it work? He said he got it from gbatemp.

Personally couldn't get it to work as it checked if the console had an active wifi connection.

So therefore never got to the screen to cancel update, as I didn't want to connect.

EDIT: this is apparently intended, but it didnt work for me. super nag stays.

Last edited by Jungle_Jon,

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Lets do a little advocacy here.

Flip your bit back at Nintendo - become a modding guide for someone who has difficulties getting there.

If Nintendo just made sure, that you cant use the Switch in the way you used it in the past - with really nothing you could do about it - make sure, that at least ONE other person will get a modchip installed in their Switch, because of you.

Return the favor. :)

Help your friends with their questions, provide them with guidelines for easy product acquisition. Help them with soldering, do what you can. It doesn't take much, it helps everyone out, and it makes sure, Nintendo doesn't remotely change code and functionality on our systems in the future, without users being informed.

FYI this is a new thing they are pulling, and you where there, when they started. :)

If everyone affected by their current approach gets a modchip, and convinces at least ONE friend to get one as well - their tactic backfires.

Tell a friend, be friendly - and flip your bit back at Nintendo.

Dear Mr. Kimishima - we hope this message will reach you. :)

220px-Tatsumi-Kimishima.jpg

Declaration: We see Nintendos action of finding a way into our systems and changing their functionality remotely, without our knowledge or consent, as an aggressive act and a qualitatively new breach of a preexisting red line, trying to keep your customers in a walled garden ecosystem. Your acts were unprovoked, your actions are unjustified and the legality of your approach is questionable.

The Switch is an unsubsidized hardware platform and we have the expectation to own what we bought, after we have paid for the device in full. If you want to retroactively change core functionality (remove access to a web browser - for everyone that doesn't want to update to your latest firmware) - and do so in a covert approach designed not to grab media attention - expect us to look at you with different eyes, than those of a five year old Labo customer.

Sincerely,

A voice from the scene

OOOhh fuck Yessss ! the peoples ban hammer !

Resaec

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
OOOhh fuck Yessss ! the peoples ban hammer !
Why get a modchip? This won't do anything except putting money in the wallets of ppl pushing paid piracy.
Thats it. And you are giving them a helping hand by posting this.

There is no reason to install a modchip as you still get into RCM with 5.0.3
If you use the internet against any and all advice, you are at fault yourself.
As it stands there will be a RCM tool to reset the value in NAND

Help your friends with their questions, provide them with guidelines for easy product acquisition.
pff

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Well does it work? He said he got it from gbatemp.
Here is the deal. :)

For "normal" firmware nags, it was sufficient to boot into Recovery, and then exit it - for the neg to be gone.
For "super nag" this was confirmed not to work.

What the reddit user did "in addition" to that - is to have the current firmware already downloaded by the Switch, so the Switch could start installing it in recovery - and then canceled out of the install process. The "canceling out of an install process" in recovery menu (!) was something people talked about doing before - so this is also a thing. :)

Whats unknown is, if actually starting the firmware update in recovery - and canceling out of it removes the "super nag".

Thats still currently unknown (or "pulled into doubt by the reddit user"). Because of millenialTM, no one knows if the reddit user had the super nag or the "normal" nag to begin with. And now he has "confirmed" - that actually starting the update procedure would not be needed anyhow - which is definitely wrong, ... millenialTM at work, as usual. :)

Still starting and cancelling out of an update from recovery "might" (unknown chances, only one report) be able to reset the super nag. Or not.

I don't take responsibility for any of you trying - I'm just trying to give an explanation of whats currently happening. ;)

edit: Maybe take a wait and see approach on this one. :) Methods to reset the bit will come out from the scene - so theres no hurry. ;)

Last edited by notimp,

HulkWogan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Any chance Nintendo can push a firmware update that bricks the switch like Nvidia did with the Shield Tablet? That excerpt from the small print posted was pretty vague and probably for good reason. Is there any legal reason why Nintendo couldn't do this to blacklisted consoles? (For those who weren't aware, it was possible to remove the firmware of death on the Shield).

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Any chance Nintendo can push a firmware update that bricks the switch like Nvidia did with the Shield Tablet? That excerpt from the small print posted was pretty vague and probably for good reason. Is there any legal reason why Nintendo couldn't do this to blacklisted consoles? (For those who weren't aware, it was possible to remove the firmware of death on the Shield).
Anything is possible, they being the vendor , but excluding the OP topic for a moment, I dont think Nintendo would take that step as it would be a step to far and all these highly skilled Devs would expose that fact, very dark and dangerous waters for Nintendo to actually do it , just my opinion.

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So why is this a big problem? If it's patchable in the future, that means all users who are affected will have to use a Hardmod/Jig at least ONCE, then patch the console/run CFW and they'll be able to patch the OFW so they can use the applets again. It doesn't change anything and Ninty is just wasting manpower at this point.
Perhaps it's more about the Mariko Switch? I meant if webapplet more often than not, contains plenty of vulnerabilities to exploit. In case Mariko patch all the hardware vulnerability and we have no solution for this super nag in long term, it would hinder Switch homebrew community in long run. Sure there are plenty of original model of Switch around, but what if Mariko is actually better and more desirable model. What if Mariko has external HDD support. What if in longer run, Mariko would have exclusive titles? Since Switch is portable console what if people misplaced their Switch at time the older model gets discontinued? People may end up buying old model Switch without warranty against hardware defect if they want CFW, and pay more to scalpers, when Mariko is cheaper in comparison... The point is looking at long term, we want to solve any problem for the homebrew scene Nintendo would try to throw out.

Addconsult

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Havent used my switch in months, booted it up a day before this thread and i got the "Super nag". I am on firmware 4.0.1

I will try Flacid_Monkeys reddit solution right now! If i can get rid of it i will setup a VM linux AP and connect my switch to it and log all outgoing and incoming network. To try to find how they put this flag on the switch. Anyone know if there is any documentation on the Switch Nintendo network i can read? Has someone extensivly done this reasearch of what servers nintendo uses to push updates and so on?

New to the switch hacking scene. But i am an old school hacker.

But my guess is nintendo has probably logged which consoles it has put this flag by the serial number and wont try to put the flag back! But let the investigation begin!

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Havent used my switch in months, booted it up a day before this thread and i got the "Super nag". I am on firmware 4.0.1

I will try Flacid_Monkeys reddit solution right now! If i can get rid of it i will setup a VM linux AP and connect my switch to it and log all outgoing and incoming network. To try to find how they put this flag on the switch. Anyone know if there is any documentation on the Switch Nintendo network i can read? Has someone extensivly done this reasearch of what servers nintendo uses to push updates and so on?

New to the switch hacking scene. But i am an old school hacker.

But my guess is nintendo has probably logged which consoles it has put this flag by the serial number and wont try to put the flag back! But let the investigation begin!

Wireshark and pcaps would be the long way round tho. SciresM i would bet will diff the fuck out of this one.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know how to sniff a network with wireshark and other tools. Wondering if anyone has documented anything i can read up on ?

Try this thread. There's extra domains on the second page. I disabled remote login to my home router but I'll post any other domains not in those lists if there are others once I get home.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/did-nintendo-add-more-update-servers.482853/

Edit - This post is MUCH better and the one I think I used originally - https://gbatemp.net/threads/dns-to-block-the-updates-of-the-switch.465952/#post-7208328

Last edited by Maximilious,

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Try this thread. There's extra domains on the second page. I disabled remote login to my home router but I'll post any other domains not in those lists if there are others once I get home.

Edit - This post is MUCH better and the one I think I used originally - https://gbatemp.net/threads/dns-to-block-the-updates-of-the-switch.465952/#post-7208328
Willing to bet its not a domain and rather an IP at play here to Circumvent DNS tricks.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Willing to bet its not a domain and rather an IP at play here to Circumvent DNS tricks.

Possible, but doubtful. DNS provides much better reliability for global services like Nintendo is offering. They can't rely on 20+ million Switch units worldwide to connect to a single IP address. It's likely multiple IP's hosted worldwide.

Reactions: tecfreak

Addconsult

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Domains

Switchbrew has a ton of information documented. Domains is the only thing regarding networks I see though.

Thanks i will read about this and experiment and write what i find. I start today but probably finished tomorrow!

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Possible, but doubtful. DNS provides much better reliability for global services like Nintendo is offering. They can't rely on 20+ million Switch units worldwide to connect to a single IP address. It's likely multiple IP's hosted worldwide.
would it help if i added range, or subnets or ....... naa that would also be to easy to circumvent on homebrew side too.
This does smell a bit underhanded on "How" it has been done . nothing would surprise me tho.

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Thanks i will read about this and experiment and write what i find. I start today but probably finished tomorrow!

yesh my thought was leaning mroe toward the fact that the switchbru dns servers are atuned to block DNS names not ip , so from nintendos perspective - profit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gt2ToRSjQA