Hacking Suggestion [IMPORTANT] Possible Nintendo server changes to block web applets from working

• Thread starter Deleted-442439
  • Start date
  • Views 58,869
  • Replies 183
  • Likes 21
D

Deleted-442439

OP
a little worried by this comment...

yellows8‏ @ylws8 May 1
(What network-request(s) actually trigger it is unknown)

Translation: We fixed the DNS but we don't really know how Nintendo did this in the first place.

No judgement on my part.... these guys abilities are incredible. It's just a touch worrying is all.

Not anyone in the Reswitched team knows either, not even ScriesM but I know several people are working on it, will post a update when we know more.

Reactions: mmajunkie77

heraymo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering i just got another switch and it was on 4.1.0 should i just go ahead and update it to recent firmware?

mmajunkie77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering i just got another switch and it was on 4.1.0 should i just go ahead and update it to recent firmware?
Just stay where you are. 4.1 will eventually see a softmod. Anything above will require the hardmod. If you don't mind doing the hardmod, and want to use eshop and other features, then yeah, go ahead and update.

Reactions: heraymo

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There have been several reports of users not being able to use the web applets without updating regardless of FW, DNS settings and several other factors, making it impossible to use the HBL and SwitchbruDNS.

This has now been investigated by devs over at the Reswitched discord and we know the following:

NeedsUpdateVulnerability is a function in the ns:vm service in the NS module.

It seems that in systems with the issue it is set to 1, while "normal" systems have the value 0.

When any of the web applets open they will check that value, if it is set to 1 a update will be needed, this update prompt can't be cleared by going into recovery mode making it impossible to launch the browser, and seems to be a issue on all FW.

We do not yet know how this value was changed, but as the DNS servers don't block all servers it is suspected that Nintendo have made a undocumented server to change this value. (this is speculation) regardless it would be smart to now completely disable internet (airplane mode) until the cause is found. (If you still plan to block updates).

What we do know: This issue is standard on all new Switches shipping on FW 4.1.0+ (see image 2)

Is it patcheble?

Yes, but right now Fusee does not have sdMMC support, so the only way now is to patch it through running Linux on the Switch and then applying a patch from there. Obviously that is not a easy solution, but until more is understood we have to wait.

View attachment 121777View attachment 121778
Wait, so this doesn't affect, for example, day one buyers? Or anyone that doesn't have that new revision of consoles?

D

Deleted-442439

OP
Wait, so this doesn't affect, for example, day one buyers? Or anyone that doesn't have that new revision of consoles?

It affects all consoles on non current FW, does not matter what console revision you have or the purchase date.

ShroomKing

Somebody
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh? No one has the new revision yet.
A lot of people do have 'the' revision

to answer your question, this only affects consoles that came with 3.0.1+ or updated past 3.0.1

ShroomKing

Somebody
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
then... it's a second/third production run, huh? not a revision. (I'm not so sure myself)

It's w/e, i only referred to it as revision because the person i responded to did.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
then... it's a second/third production run, huh? not a revision. (I'm not so sure myself)

It's w/e, i only referred to it as revision because the person i responded to did.
To stop that here ... At least this forum (aka gbatemp) refers to a Switch revision as the new hardware revision with the Mariko Tegra CPU which has the bootrom bug fixed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1