Suggestion [IMPORTANT] Possible Nintendo server changes to block web applets from working

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by jjbredesen, Apr 29, 2018.

1. jjbredesen
    OP

jjbredesen WarezNX Owner

GBAtemp Patron
    jjbredesen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 16, 2018
    Norway
    Hyrule
    There have been several reports of users not being able to use the web applets without updating regardless of FW, DNS settings and several other factors, making it impossible to use the HBL and SwitchbruDNS.

This has now been investigated by devs over at the Reswitched discord and we know the following:

NeedsUpdateVulnerability is a function in the ns:vm service in the NS module.

It seems that in systems with the issue it is set to 1, while "normal" systems have the value 0.

When any of the web applets open they will check that value, if it is set to 1 a update will be needed, this update prompt can't be cleared by going into recovery mode making it impossible to launch the browser, and seems to be a issue on all FW.

We do not yet know how this value was changed, but as the DNS servers don't block all servers it is suspected that Nintendo have made a undocumented server to change this value. (this is speculation) regardless it would be smart to now completely disable internet (airplane mode) until the cause is found. (If you still plan to block updates).

What we do know: This issue is standard on all new Switches shipping on FW 4.1.0+ (see image 2)

Is it patcheble?

Yes, but right now Fusee does not have sdMMC support, so the only way now is to patch it through running Linux on the Switch and then applying a patch from there. Obviously that is not a easy solution, but until more is understood we have to wait.

upload_2018-4-30_0-22-41.png upload_2018-4-30_0-23-5.png

Eix, CaptainSodaPop, AboodXD and 18 others like this.
  2. Taffy

Taffy If specified, this will replace the title that...

Mar 3, 2017
    United States
    Student
    Will current non-affected users get affected by this? Or are we safe?

I mean, as long as we don't update

Also I'm posting this from my switch, which is actually my internet lifeline (long story)

Should I disconnect for a while?

Last edited by Taffy, Apr 29, 2018
  3. Stercate79

Stercate79 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 25, 2016
    United States
    hey, i'm one of the victims! :D

4. Resaec

Resaec GBAtemp Fan

Dec 19, 2017
    Germany
    No, update right now /s

Taffy likes this.
  5. Leonidas87

Leonidas87 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 15, 2014
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario
    I was not effected today and then as of about an hour ago I'm having this issue with no solution as of yet. Hoping we get something not as difficult as setting up Linux because I have not gotten Linux running.

6. The3rdknuckles

The3rdknuckles GBAtemp Fan

Dec 30, 2015
    United States
    Well it’s a good thing I haven’t tried to run any HB in a while on my 3.0.0 switch. So no update for me to clear. I hope devs are able to help out those who aren’t as lucky or we get the soft mod CFW soon as everyone can enjoy HB again.

7. jjbredesen
    OP

jjbredesen WarezNX Owner

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Feb 16, 2018
    Norway
    Hyrule
    You should disconnect, we don't know how this works, but it seems more and more users are having the issue, if you don't you will be forced to use a hardmod.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

The problem is softmod CFW will be impossible without being able to use the browser, so everyone must turn of all wifi until we know more, even if u are on lower fw.

uyjulian, Taffy and Leonidas87 like this.
  8. Darklinkreturns

Darklinkreturns GBAtemp Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    United States
    Same! We should start a club. Or a band.

nachuz, Dr.doom and Stercate79 like this.
  9. Leonidas87

Jul 15, 2014
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario
    What a lonely depressing bunch we will be in that band

10. Rune

Rune GBAtemp Fan

Feb 15, 2017
    So as things stand, is every OFW version on the same boat now?

And is the HBL unusable on all OFWs at this stage?

11. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    Give up Nintendo, there's nothing you can do to stop hax. Forcing everyone to use a jig is hardly a win.

pandavova, zenamez and peteruk like this.
  12. jjbredesen
    OP

jjbredesen WarezNX Owner

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Feb 16, 2018
    Norway
    Hyrule
    Yes. If the value has been changed it will be, if not HBL will still work, but could be patched any second you are using the DNS... so stay offline.

13. Rune

Rune GBAtemp Fan

Feb 15, 2017
    I have to admit. As a owner of a 3.0 Switch, my jimmies are slightly rustled.

14. Resaec

Resaec GBAtemp Fan

Dec 19, 2017
    Germany
    That is, if you use a DNS that blacklists... Using a whitelist DNS would solve this problem

15. jjbredesen
    OP

jjbredesen WarezNX Owner

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Feb 16, 2018
    Norway
    Hyrule
    In theory, but as I said we don't know what is triggering it, and there are no whitelist DNS's live right now, so offline is the only option.

16. aykay55

aykay55 Professional Idiot

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    Where the buffalo roam.
    I’m on 5.0.2, it works perfectly for me. Mind you I’ve set my secondary DNS to 1.0.0.1 so yeah.

17. Resaec

Resaec GBAtemp Fan

Dec 19, 2017
    Germany
    You are right... It might use an IP instead of a hostname and circumvent the DNS completely, too.
    Offline is the best choice, second is an offline network for the switch only hosting HBL.

Maximilious likes this.
  18. Leonidas87

Jul 15, 2014
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario
    You are updated so there would be no reason for you to be receiving an update message. Blocking you from using the dns

19. LucaFraga

LucaFraga Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2009
    Italy
    If all of this is true, I would advise everyone to use PegaSwitch with an Access Point with no internet access.

For example if you own a Wi-Fi USB dongle you could forward it to a VMWare VM and create an access point from there and unlink the VM from your main connection

Last edited by LucaFraga, Apr 30, 2018
    BL4Z3D247 likes this.
  20. bobdamnit

bobdamnit Think some kind of psychedelic experience!

Jul 15, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    Hey, me too!

I updated. But I was on 5.0.1 anyway, so...:(

Last edited by bobdamnit, Apr 30, 2018