Hacking Suggestion [IMPORTANT] Possible Nintendo server changes to block web applets from working

• Thread starter Deleted-442439
  • Start date
  • Views 58,647
  • Replies 183
  • Likes 21
D

Deleted-442439

OP
There have been several reports of users not being able to use the web applets without updating regardless of FW, DNS settings and several other factors, making it impossible to use the HBL and SwitchbruDNS.

This has now been investigated by devs over at the Reswitched discord and we know the following:

NeedsUpdateVulnerability is a function in the ns:vm service in the NS module.

It seems that in systems with the issue it is set to 1, while "normal" systems have the value 0.

When any of the web applets open they will check that value, if it is set to 1 a update will be needed, this update prompt can't be cleared by going into recovery mode making it impossible to launch the browser, and seems to be a issue on all FW.

We do not yet know how this value was changed, but as the DNS servers don't block all servers it is suspected that Nintendo have made a undocumented server to change this value. (this is speculation) regardless it would be smart to now completely disable internet (airplane mode) until the cause is found. (If you still plan to block updates).

What we do know: This issue is standard on all new Switches shipping on FW 4.1.0+ (see image 2)

Is it patcheble?

Yes, but right now Fusee does not have sdMMC support, so the only way now is to patch it through running Linux on the Switch and then applying a patch from there. Obviously that is not a easy solution, but until more is understood we have to wait.

upload_2018-4-30_0-22-41.png
upload_2018-4-30_0-23-5.png

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will current non-affected users get affected by this? Or are we safe?

I mean, as long as we don't update

Also I'm posting this from my switch, which is actually my internet lifeline (long story)

Should I disconnect for a while?

Last edited by Taffy,

Leonidas87

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada

Also I'm posting this from my switch, which is actually my internet lifeline (long story)

I was not effected today and then as of about an hour ago I'm having this issue with no solution as of yet. Hoping we get something not as difficult as setting up Linux because I have not gotten Linux running.

The3rdknuckles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it’s a good thing I haven’t tried to run any HB in a while on my 3.0.0 switch. So no update for me to clear. I hope devs are able to help out those who aren’t as lucky or we get the soft mod CFW soon as everyone can enjoy HB again.

D

Deleted-442439

OP

You should disconnect, we don't know how this works, but it seems more and more users are having the issue, if you don't you will be forced to use a hardmod.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well it’s a good thing I haven’t tried to run any HB in a while on my 3.0.0 switch. So no update for me to clear. I hope devs are able to help out those who aren’t as lucky or we get the soft mod CFW soon as everyone can enjoy HB again.

The problem is softmod CFW will be impossible without being able to use the browser, so everyone must turn of all wifi until we know more, even if u are on lower fw.

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The problem is softmod CFW will be impossible without being able to use the browser, so everyone must turn of all wifi until we know more, even if u are on lower fw.
So as things stand, is every OFW version on the same boat now?

And is the HBL unusable on all OFWs at this stage?

D

Deleted-442439

OP

Yes. If the value has been changed it will be, if not HBL will still work, but could be patched any second you are using the DNS... so stay offline.

Resaec

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Yes. If the value has been changed it will be, if not HBL will still work, but could be patched any second you are using the DNS... so stay offline.
That is, if you use a DNS that blacklists... Using a whitelist DNS would solve this problem

D

Deleted-442439

OP
That is, if you use a DNS that blacklists... Using a whitelist DNS would solve this problem

In theory, but as I said we don't know what is triggering it, and there are no whitelist DNS's live right now, so offline is the only option.

Resaec

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In theory, but as I said we don't know what is triggering it, and there are no whitelist DNS's live right now, so offline is the only option.
You are right... It might use an IP instead of a hostname and circumvent the DNS completely, too.
Offline is the best choice, second is an offline network for the switch only hosting HBL.

Reactions: Maximilious

Deleted member 191657

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If all of this is true, I would advise everyone to use PegaSwitch with an Access Point with no internet access.

For example if you own a Wi-Fi USB dongle you could forward it to a VMWare VM and create an access point from there and unlink the VM from your main connection

Last edited by Deleted member 191657,
Reactions: BL4Z3D247

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BakerMan, his partner is Luke