i'm learning japanese, sharing what i'm learning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetsuya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Questions:
1- very unsolved problem till now is the "desu" or "des" ?
You should write it as desu because in japanese its です でーde  すーsu
you write and read it as gakusei. Its just that you will tend to hear it as gaksei.

"Sorewa Shitsurei Shimashta"

This sentence is translated in to "excuse me for that"

PeaCe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
thnx man, its so nice to see your help here.
i'm feeling so down these days, i'll post new lessons.

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
its test84
lecture.gif
! borrowing my friends account, since my account has problems, i'm keeping here up with his account.
-----------------------------
So, after that proverb lesson, here we are at ...

Lesson 015 Gakusei deska.
(Are you a student?)

Legend:

(you know the legend is Solid snake! BTW!)

A.Mr.Tehrani
B.Kento (Mr.Satou's son)

A.Kento-san wa Gaksai deska.
(Mr.Kento, Are you a student?)

B.Iie, mou gaksai ja arimasen.
(I'm not a student anymore.)

shikaijin des.
(I'm a fulltime employee now.)

A.A, Soudeska.
(Oh, I'm sorry.)

Sorewa shitsurei shimashita.
(Excuse me.)
---------------------
Notes:
1- In Japanese conversations we dont usually use "YOU" to address the person
we are talking to, instead we use their names, in our case, Kento-san.

2-Negative form of "desu" is "Ja Arimasen"

3- the reason behind last sentences excuse is that mr.tehrani thought it was
unpolite for him to miscall mr.kento a student when he is more mature.

---------------------
Questions:
1- very unsolved problem till now is the "desu" or "des" ?
if they write "desu" and read it "des" should we write des or desu?
its strange since in all these lessons, they write desu and read it des,

there are other examples such as writing Gakusei and reading it Gaksei.
please clear us!

2-whats difference between "mashta", "des","shimas" and when we should we use
which one.

3-please someone translate the last sentence "Sorewa Shitsurei Shimashta"
since i cant map ot to given translated sentence.

4- "sore" means that, so why in last sentence mr.tehrani refered to himself
with sore? why not watashi? atleasn "kore" (which means this)?
Sorry that I haven't been keeping up with the entire thread. My time is limited so I just decided to respond to the last lesson if that's ok, as I'm gonna be visiting my girlfriend in Korea soon (I met her in Japan, and we speak Japanese with eachother, to clear up any confusion
tongue.gif
)

Correct spelling of misspelled words:

gakusei
shakai-jin (you don't need the -, but it's for clarity)

Wrong translation:

a, sou desu ka = "oh, is that so?" it's implying that you didn't know

Notes:

2. you are correct, but there's also a second alternative: ja nai desu (example: gakusei ja nai desu)

Questions:

1. It's written as desu, and pronounced as des. That's just the way it is. Reason is that it's easier to pronounce. Note that it's the same way with masu, which is pronounced as mas (example: ikimasu).

Sounds like "ku" and "shi" in the middle of a word often become "k" and "sh". This is also for easier pronunciation.
gakusei is pronounced as "gak-sei"
shimashita is pronounced as "shimash-ta"

2. This question is a little more complex. Basically in Japanese there's 3 (technically 4) types of words that are treated differently. To keep it simple I'll explain two. Verbs and nouns. To make those kinds of words politely, there's two different systems.

Verbs: (I) go = ikimasu (comes from iku + masu) (note: yuku / yukimasu = a dialect)
Nouns: (I am) a student = gakusei desu (comes from gakusei + desu)

As you can see, nouns are easy, but with verbs the original word changes. In the case of adding masu, the original non-politely written word "iku" changes to "iki" when adding "masu". Also, there's two types of verbs that are treated a little differently, but that would be going into too much detail at this point I think.

To make verbs and nouns past tense you have to change "masu" to "mashita" and "desu" to "deshita"
Verbs: (I) went = ikimashita (comes from iku + mashita)
Nouns: (I) was a student = gakusei deshita (comes from gakusei + deshita)

And finally, your question about "shimasu". This comes from suru + masu. The word means "to do". Following the rules, this should become "surimasu" BUT, that's wrong. A few (maybe 6) very common words like this one are exceptions. In this case it becomes "shimasu".

3 and 4. I think the same guy that said "a, sou desu ka" is now excusing himself for "that" mistake. Since the sentence still strikes me as weird, can you perhaps check if it shouldn't be "soredewa shitsurei shimashita" (which is a way to end a conversation)?

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
i started learning Hiragana, this is a very good page at wikipedia to help us remember the alphabet:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Japanese/Hiragana/Lesson_1
-----

for the lessons, since i forgot the first lessons, i stopped learning the new ones, but maybe i start it again tonight.

Minasan Konnichiwa, Test84 desu!
Ogenki desuka?
lecture.gif

as mentioned above, I used that URL for learning Hiragana and its very good.
Highly recommended.

the next step is learning Katakana and learning some words IN HIRAGANA!

I'm gonna use the approach I used for learning English with Japanese and thats gaming.
Gonna find a simple Japanese game, maybe a Final Fantasy or a simple one and try to progress that way.

I think the Hiragana will finish in next 2 days, I'm almost done with lessons 1 till end of 6.

there are two games that are meant for learning Kanji, one is an RPG and another is kinda same but for Kana too:
http://www.kicl.info/
http://lrnj.com/

one of them is free and another is demo. Beside these there is Kanji_Sonomama_Rakubiki_Jiten which seems to be very good but its just for Kanji, I'm gonna learn some reading first.

If you have any opinion over games for starting (GBA, DS ,NES ,GB games are preffered, no SNES since its emulator is in 0.5) to learn Kana better or any experience of thoses online games, would appreciate posting it here.

Jarvik7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, this whole thing is riddled with errors. Please stop trying to teach people Japanese until you get a better grasp on it, you are only going to hurt people's progress. There are already plenty of sites for learning basic Japanese on the internet.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
1)what errors?
2)no one is forced to come here! so you can always go to other sites
3)no one said i'm an expert at Japanese, if you read the topic's name, it says "sharing what i'm learning", it means that i am currently learning and a student is no prone to mistakes (i still dont see any mistakes here, but to make you less .... here)

Jarvik7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1) many many many spelling errors in the Japanese, as well as some incorrect translations
2) I never said I was using these, however others might try learning from your posts, which can't be a good thing
3) You are formatting these as lessons, thus trying to teach people, despite the topic title

I can appreciate the sentiment, but I can't see how these "lessons" will teach anyone. It's just error filled sentences with translations and no explanations.

The misspelling of extremely basic words like doumo or gakusei suggests that you are just typing in what you are hearing in a podcast or something. Wouldn't it be better just to share links to the podcast and have a discussion about that? I just can't see what the use of this is.

Sorry about insulting your Japanese ability, but I think you're just getting way ahead of yourself.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
1) many many many spelling errors in the Japanese, as well as some incorrect translations
2) I never said I was using these, however others might try learning from your posts, which can't be a good thing
3) You are formatting these as lessons, thus trying to teach people, despite the topic title

I can appreciate the sentiment, but I can't see how these "lessons" will teach anyone. It's just error filled sentences with translations and no explanations.

The misspelling of extremely basic words like doumo or gakusei suggests that you are just typing in what you are hearing in a podcast or something. Wouldn't it be better just to share links to the podcast and have a discussion about that? I just can't see what the use of this is.

Sorry about insulting your Japanese ability, but I think you're just getting way ahead of yourself.

1)my main source is NHK's official lessons and even if there is still errors, people will notice it and i'll correct it, as you can see if you browse previous pages there are several corrections.

2) there are plenty of hits for this topic and it means people are using it and if they think these are not helpful they'll stop using.

3)these lessons are meant to be an introduction to Japanese speaking, as said in first post of topic, not teaching grammer, kanji, etc.
you take these too seriously, this is not JLPT1.

its obvious that you havent read even the first topic since if you've read just the first topic you would see that i stated the source of lessons.
i even emailed them and told them that i'm using their lessons here.

if you have anything else about this topic, pm me, dont post your helpful comments here, you are not allowed to post here your opinions. (see the topic name)

PingPongPang

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
がんばって テストさん

Don't let that one spoiled egg in a dozen or more ruin what you are trying to do. Helping others learn another language, that's a plus.

何年間を勉強しましたかった?

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
thnx man for cheering up but my current concern is not that egg,
1)i've heard lots of bad things around Japan and i'm currently realizing/re-evaluating the situation here.

you can follow the conversations at my other topic which is in my sig (questions about living in Japan).

I'm thinking if all these really does mean that much to me or not.
i dont want to discuss that matter here since this topic is for Learning Japanese, but wanted to tell that i didnt just forget about this topic and all.

i'm thinking and waiting for some peace to come (which i know will not).

2)have lots of lots of lots of stress and shit at home and cant concentrate and i cant even remember last lessons, hope after one week that next semester starts, it will get better since i'll be away from home atleast some days.

one funny thing!
i was watching TOkyo DRinft again (and again, and again ...) just to get into the FEEL of JAPAN and in some point, a old woman says Ohayogozaimasu! to the protagonist and i was like WOW ! I GOT THAT WORD ! HEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeya!
and when the teacher was talkin to protagonist and it meant to be so hard, i could tell when she is asking stuff and not ! (better than nothin'!).

pray for me.

edit: we have 2,405 visitors till now! hooooooooray!
we are currently second in the first page of General Off-Topic chat
wink.gif
(that free usenet account beat us! but they will go down after some day
wink.gif
)

edit: lesson #15 will come 2nite.

Osaka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
its DOMO. the O will always make the "oh" sound. it doesnt change. a good thing to remember with japanese is that its always read how it looks and the sounds usually dont change (things like TA do sound differant depending on if they are in the beginning or the in the middle, but the rule always stays the same.)

A: is like "ah"
I: is like "ee"
U: is like... I dont know of an example XD
E: is like saying the letter "A"
O: is like saying "oh"

Oh well, im sure no one cares ToT; im kinda late anyways...

Jarvik7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
大阪:誰かがもうそれを言った
彼は「どうも」ぐらいしらないのに日本語を教えてる!信じられない!

Oh, and test is watching Tokyo Drift to get a feel of Japan? ahahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News