Gaming If I only knew then what I know now, computing edition.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying, as ever, to have descriptive topic titles. Anyway have you ever learned of a new computing program that was available a few years ago, a skill that was available that would have made a task so much easier or simply a mindset (can be a programming paradigm or even general things like using camel case). This need not be something incredibly complex, though if you have since gained high level skills in an area it certainly plays, as I often find the better examples are of the simple things.
This is not "if I had a time machine", more "if only I had known the names of things to look up".

I fear I am old enough to have appeared at just the wrong time for a lot of things -- the internet was not widespread (bbs aside, none of which I was really involved in, I was double digits before I used the internet), computing was not yet taught in schools (we were taught MS office for cretins but there was nothing for me to take and even 7 years after I left it was still a half GCSE with the other half being Russian) and my parents did not know computing at the time (punch cards at school and not a lot else until I really tried to get into computing).

Electronics also counts as part of this if you want it to, preferably more in the music/art/input device world but there is a lot of leeway here.

Still

Latex/Lyx.
My word processing, that which I do not write directly in the browser, is done in three things these days
Very basic
MS Office, Libreoffice (mainly) and I think I still have AbiWord in places.

More graphical but not something I want to do in a graphics editor.
Scribus, Adobe Indesign (some clients prefer it)

Full professional document
Lyx.

Oh how I wish someone had pushed me towards latex/lyx before I did find it. It is slightly odd but frankly if you have a week to write a thesis or similarly important document and you have never used it before (and have access to http://xkcd.com/627/ ) then do it. Make sure your PDF exports are working and then go in cold and make sure you properly designate the parts/sections/subsections/... for your table of contents.

Programming. If I knew something like C or Python earlier then a lot more could have happened.

Regular expressions. http://markantoniou.blogspot.co.uk/2008/06/notepad-how-to-use-regular-expressions.html
Wish I had bothered to learn about them sooner than I did. If you have ever wanted a search you could say in words in about 7 seconds but basic find and replace, maybe with a wildcard, will not do then you probably want regular expressions.

Layers and layer masks in graphics editing. It is perfectly doable without them but it would have been nice to be pushed towards it all earlier.

Reactions: Margen67

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    no, I'm asking which one of them you are using
  • crafthp434 @ crafthp434:
    aroma
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    in that case, there is no such thing as homebrew launcher for aroma
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    you have to launch your homebrews directly from the wii u menu
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    there is a plugin that display them on the wii u menu, pretty sure it is enabled by default
    so like it doesnt exist
    yeah
    ?
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    it doesn't exist, at least not for aroma
    ohhhhh
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    on tiramisu you can access it by opening mii maker
    okay
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I don't have a wii u anymore to test it myself, but if homebrews are not visible on the wii u menu I think you can press L + R + minus to open the plugin menu, there should be an option called "homebrews on wii u menu" or something similar
    nope
    it is L+dpad down+ select
    but homebrew is appearing in the home menu btw
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    yes, now I remember it
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    then it is working, I also don't like that they did this but it is the only option you have if you are using aroma
    i just didint know the homebrew launcher didint exist in aroma
    thanks btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im downloading fallout 3 goty edition
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm downloading more ram for my hamster pc
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    New hamster PC, with anal operation and BT connectivity!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, How do I make enemies respawn on gdevelop after
    the player dies?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Carrying a PC or phone is so old school!
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Carrying a PC or phone is so old school!