Hacking If I never plan to go online, is there any not to install NSPs over XCI?

moonface77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the chance I decide I want to go online, I would restore my original nand backup and never use SXOS or any other custom firmware. So while I am on custom firmware and do not go online, is there any risk to install NSPs? Restoring the original nand backup will erase any trace of custom installations correct?

Edit: Topic title should read "if I never plan to go online, is there any reason not to install nsps over xci". I don't know how to edit topic title.

Last edited by moonface77,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.NSP and .XCI files don't make any difference when it comes to online; one you install and the other you mount. .NSP files have slightly faster loading times and are always smaller than .XCI files while .XCI files have the advantage of being mounted from an HDD with SX OS. And when it comes to brick code, it can be planted in either .NSP or .XCI. Both contain the same contents anyway which are just a bunch of .NCA files. The only reason brick code has been implemented into .NSP files is because its the more common file type used by all CFWs.

Reactions: Dougiejones

SgtP3pp3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
In the chance I decide I want to go online, I would restore my original nand backup and never use SXOS or any other custom firmware. So while I am on custom firmware and do not go online, is there any risk to install NSPs? Restoring the original nand backup will erase any trace of custom installations correct?

Edit: Topic title should read "if I never plan to go online, is there any reason not to install nsps over xci". I don't know how to edit topic title.
I find NSPs annoying in that I need to have twice its size free in my sd card in order to install it. For indie games in the <1Gb to a few Gb range its no hassle. But with titles that measure out 15Gb, it means you need 30Gb free. Or 48Gb for 24Gb files like RE Revelations 2...
The other reason I favor XCIs is because they are easier to swap in and out of the sd card.
I use mainly XCIs, and use NSPs only for the indies that didnt have physical releases. Which is why im a bit displeased with SX OS's implementation of the XCI installer... It's far too easy to accidentally end up installing the XCIs when installing NSPs.

ReikaRin

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I find NSPs annoying in that I need to have twice its size free in my sd card in order to install it. For indie games in the <1Gb to a few Gb range its no hassle. But with titles that measure out 15Gb, it means you need 30Gb free. Or 48Gb for 24Gb files like RE Revelations 2...
The other reason I favor XCIs is because they are easier to swap in and out of the sd card.
I use mainly XCIs, and use NSPs only for the indies that didnt have physical releases. Which is why im a bit displeased with SX OS's implementation of the XCI installer... It's far too easy to accidentally end up installing the XCIs when installing NSPs.

you can use network install/usb install from your pc using tinfoil/goldleaf or hdd if you are using sx os

Reactions: Ty_

SgtP3pp3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
you can use network install/usb install from your pc using tinfoil/goldleaf or hdd if you are using sx os
You're right, that would definitely solve the double space problem. Specially the hdd option, but as for the network option, I just really dont like the idea of taking my emunand out of airplane mode :P
I dont trust 'Stealth mode'

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)