Hacking If a game I'm trying to play has problems

asaguda

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What, exactly, could possibly fix the problems, and in what order should I go about trying the fixes?
I only know a few steps, such as formatting your SD/HC card properly..

In case it makes a difference, I'm play on a DSi XL with 1.4.1 and an Acekard 2i with AKAIO 1.8.7.

asaguda

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hakoda said:
Well what games?

There could be patches or you could try enabling AAP.

There's only one I can think of that freezes (Because I've been trying to play it recently), which would be Final Fantasy Tactics A2. I've done pretty much everything I know might fix it but it always freezes in the same spot(s). The clean, untrimmed rom I have matches the USA CRC32 on Advanscene. The thing is, this game isn't new and shouldn't have any issues from what I understand (Which also makes the issue that more confusing.)

There's also a few games, both new and unfixed (I haven't bothered trying to fix new games until AKAIO has an update in which they are fixed, unless I find out they can be played by changing a setting) and older ones that should work fine that slow down, but none I can pull off the top of my head, since those games generally went too slow to be enjoyable and thus they didn't stick very well.

asaguda

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
s4mid4re said:
slowing down is usually caused by a slow micro SD card.

freezing is usually caused when using patched ROMs or bad dumps; try to get clean ROMs.

I've been looking at new MicroSD cards, but.. Not being a photographer or anything I really have no idea where to look. One thing I'm looking at is a Transcend 16gb Class 6/10 stick.. Is Transcend a good brand?
As for the freezing, the ROMs aren't patched and I've tried multiple dumps. Is trimming considered to be 'non-clean'?

molh394

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
asaguda said:
As for the freezing, the ROMs aren't patched and I've tried multiple dumps. Is trimming considered to be 'non-clean'?
Yep: http://gbatemp.net/t296072-can-trimmed-rom...t&p=3695129

QUOTE(asaguda @ Jun 7 2011, 07:16 AM) What, exactly, could possibly fix the problems, and in what order should I go about trying the fixes?
Here are the standard steps, in an order recommended by Rydian: http://gbatemp.net/t277771-how-to-get-new-games-to-run

Masked Ranger

Trophies
XP
Country
Everytime a new AKAIO is released, I reformat my SD card with the Panasonic Formatter. About every few months, I back up my card, delete everything off it and then paste everything back to help cut down on fragmented files.

Rise

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The anti AP thing you can turn on in the akaio menu, can also cause frezzing/slowdowns with some games.
Twewy will freeze during the intro movie with it on. During the intro movie to Zelda:PH, it will stutter/slowdown with it turned on.

omgarsc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
asaguda said:
What, exactly, could possibly fix the problems, and in what order should I go about trying the fixes?

In case it makes a difference, I'm play on a DSi XL with 1.4.1 and an Acekard 2i with AKAIO 1.8.7.

I've been experiencing this exact same problem. The only difference is that I'm on a DSi and not a DSi XL.
I've been trying to play Final Fantasy Tactics A2 also but It keeps freezing on occasion. Usually the bottom screen will just go completely black and the music will still be playing in the background.

Another game I've been trying to play is Animal Crossing: Wild World. It performs really slowly in the menu screen and exiting buildings is also really slow. AC:WW is rather old and I surely didn't expect any bugs.

I tried reformatting my microSD also with the Panasonic Formatter but the problems still remain.

omgarsc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Try another MicroSD. Yours may be failing.

I was able to grab a 128MB microSD card out of my sister's phone. Set it up for my acekard and put in AC:WW. It's working fantastically now!

Anyone who's experiencing slow-downs or random freezes should definitely try a different SD.
I already ordered a Class 6 Transcend from Amazon for a little less than 10 dollars.

By the way, the card I was using was an 8GB Sandisk that came with my Droid Incredible.

NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Now with extra redundancy!
Trophies
XP
Country
omgarsc said:
Rydian said:
Try another MicroSD. Yours may be failing.

I was able to grab a 128MB microSD card out of my sister's phone. Set it up for my acekard and put in AC:WW. It's working fantastically now!

Anyone who's experiencing slow-downs or random freezes should definitely try a different SD.
I already ordered a Class 6 Transcend from Amazon for a little less than 10 dollars.

By the way, the card I was using was an 8GB Sandisk that came with my Droid Incredible.
Wow that's one TINY card. Normally SDs that come with phones and stuff are slow so the companies make money. Hopefully your new SD comes soon as that is a pretty small card. Also remember to format the new SD before putting all your stuff on it, as it is a pain formatting and waiting for stuff to back up...

asaguda

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just an update, in case anyone ever goes through this again..
One of the games I was trying to play was Final Fantasy Tactics A2, but it would freeze at the same spot over and over (The first time you get to choose your quest/mission- Doing any of the two, it would freeze at any screen change after returning to the map, so I couldn't visit the store or the save menu, etc), where the bottom screen would go black and music would keep playing.
However, using a non-trimmed version of the same original dump works fine, for some reason.

So it's working now, and other games (Chrono Trigger DS and others) that had issues have also been fixed after switching from a trimmed to a non-trimmed ROM.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated