Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My email to them:

"Hi can you please stop releasing games on the Wii, everything you have released uses the same engine which is actually not very good. You are ripping off customers.

Yours annoyed, Hadrian".

My reply:

"Hi Hadrian,

I am very sorry you feel ripped off, we have sold hundreds of thousands of our games, with no problems. Everyone likes different things so it would be impossible to please everyone with the same game content, but we would really like to know what you do and didn’t like to hopefully change our games in the future to what you would like.

Firstly you didn’t say which titles you had bought and thought were ‘mostly all the same’ we have published 24 different titles and they vary greatly in content. Please let me know which titles you have purchased. Some of the graphics we do deliberately re-use in different games, especially when they are in the same range of titles, although we only do this when we think it is appropriate for that game. We could create new graphics for every game, but we decided that we wanted to publish the games at the lowest possible price to the public, so we save you money by not having to redo graphics when they are not needed. For example a characters Health is shown as a heart – there is no need to change this to something else in another game as a heart works fine for many characters, but when needed such as for our racing games we designed metal looking bars instead. We pick the graphics that work best, and this saves time and money, which means we can sell the games for a lower price, and everyone benefits. I would be interested to know if you would like to pay more for the same game but with different graphics? Is this important to you? Many games from other publishers have a similar look – this consistency makes it easy to understand the icons and what they do, Mario games have hearts, mushrooms, coins, that they have used in many previous titles, they have also used them in other titles in the same range such as Yoshi, Wario and princess peach titles.

We aim to make fun games at an affordable price – please let me know what you like and don’t like.

Stewart"

Now I know that there are many games that use the same engine (like Valves games) but at least they use a good engine. Any thoughts? What don't YOU like about their games?

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Pretty ballsy move. I've corresponded with companies before, but I don't think I've ever written in telling them off.
grog.gif

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you think I'll get a reply if I say something like "I've not actually bought any of your games, but I feel like I have wasted a blank disc. I do like the idea of a Ninjabread Man but not in a game that is horribly broken and an insult to the people who have purchased it."?

It does sound like they may respond to customers problems so maybe if more people complain than they may up their quality..or not.

People are far too polite to complain and rather bitch on a forum, that won't get us anywhere we really do need to complain to those who are in charge. A company like EA do actually get people complaining and so someone in their company has said that they are attempting to make their games better.

DDI are one of those publishers who target the casual gamer and the parents who know nothing about games and will buy stuff based on the cover rather then do a llittle research on the games they may buy for litle Timmy.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Hadrian said:
Do you think I'll get a reply if I say something like "I've not actually bought any of your games, but I feel like I have wasted a blank disc. I do like the idea of a Ninjabread Man but not in a game that is horribly broken and an insult to the people who have purchased it."?
If you want them to respond to your complaints, then it would be best if you didn't tell them that you pirate there work. Companies tend to take a "who are you to complain when you didn't pay for it?" stance. You have a better chance of them actually listening and improving their games if you pose as someone who has purchased one or more of their titles.

Tigerstar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hm. At least they didn't fob you off with a form reply, so that's something in their favour at least.

Trouble is, as long as they continue to make money they're going to carry on churning out cookie-cutter games. It doesn't matter how many complaints they get, even well-reasoned ones, if the cash is flowing they've got no incentive to quit or even change their modus operandi. They aren't the first crap software house in history, and they certainly won't be the last, which I think speaks more about the general public's (lack of) awareness about game quality than anything else. I can well imagine the bulk of people who actually buy their games are not discerning types who read reviews and eagerly watch the development of various games before making a purchase, but parents who get them to keep little Johnny quiet (or who get badgered by little Johnny because they like the look of the cover art).

tjas

The Gbatemp HRManager
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
say you have bought ninja bread man and that you think it is broken, several game mechanics do not work. But keep it polite, you did not buy it in the first place and he handled very professional (which unfortunately can't be said about their games..)

Osaka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I like how you got a real answer, and I respect them for that. this is a good chance for all of us to give the real constructive criticism.
ohmy.gif

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Osaka said:
I like how you got a real answer, and I respect them for that. this is a good chance for all of us to give the real constructive criticism.
ohmy.gif
[email protected] that's the email address. It was a lot better than what DSI said and at least he took the time to respond.

Osaka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hadrian said:
Osaka said:
ohmy.gif
[email protected] that's the email address. It was a lot better than what DSI said and at least he took the time to respond.
DSI was the one you had me email saying " Do you plan on making a game thats been in development for over a month?"? right?

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. I did email THQ a while back but no reply, I'm thinking of sending something to Phoenix Games but I've only played Lion & the King on the PSX years ago.

Osaka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hadrian said:
Yeah. I did email THQ a while back but no reply, I'm thinking of sending something to Phoenix Games but I've only played Lion & the King on the PSX years ago.
no no no, leave them alone XD if they change their ways we will miss out on alot of comedy

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
ask him if theyd consider moving exclusively to wiiware

I'd imagine they'd love to pass even more savings onto us by cutting out a lot of publishing/distribution costs.
Plus they look like their games would fit

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.TakaM said:
ask him if theyd consider moving exclusively to wiiware

I'd imagine they'd love to pass even more savings onto us by cutting out a lot of publishing/distribution costs.
Plus they look like their games would fit
Good question, I will.

Will reply at the weekend if there's more feedback here.

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
As shit as the games some people make are, it's important to remember there are people behind them.
and I have to say, it's quite respectable for them to answer you, at least they seem to believe in their products.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Really nice of them to reply your email and answer your question.

Well.. there's nothing wrong with reusing the same engine or some things on another.. Valve, iD, LucasArts, Nintendo.. everyone does that.. but their games are good! If the game is good, no one cares about that..

The same HUD their using just show that they don't have money to pay a decent designer.. and they don't get time to think of a more appropriate HUD for each game
tongue.gif

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hadrian said:
"Hi Hadrian,

I am very sorry you feel ripped off, we have sold hundreds of thousands of our games, with no problems. Everyone likes different things so it would be impossible to please everyone with the same game content, but we would really like to know what you do and didn’t like to hopefully change our games in the future to what you would like.

Firstly you didn’t say which titles you had bought and thought were ‘mostly all the same’ we have published 24 different titles and they vary greatly in content. Please let me know which titles you have purchased. Some of the graphics we do deliberately re-use in different games, especially when they are in the same range of titles, although we only do this when we think it is appropriate for that game. We could create new graphics for every game, but we decided that we wanted to publish the games at the lowest possible price to the public, so we save you money by not having to redo graphics when they are not needed. For example a characters Health is shown as a heart – there is no need to change this to something else in another game as a heart works fine for many characters, but when needed such as for our racing games we designed metal looking bars instead. We pick the graphics that work best, and this saves time and money, which means we can sell the games for a lower price, and everyone benefits. I would be interested to know if you would like to pay more for the same game but with different graphics? Is this important to you? Many games from other publishers have a similar look – this consistency makes it easy to understand the icons and what they do, Mario games have hearts, mushrooms, coins, that they have used in many previous titles, they have also used them in other titles in the same range such as Yoshi, Wario and princess peach titles.

We aim to make fun games at an affordable price – please let me know what you like and don’t like.

Stewart"
Now is it just me, or can anyone else almost see this Stewart guy writing ths through clenched teeth with a face the colour of beetroot and thoughts of mass murder on his mind ?
I bet there was much profanity edited out before this final email was sent lol

Reactions: smallissue

PBC

What!? I can change this??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here is some fun circular reasoning!!!

Their games suck and we don't want to buy them because they don't have good programmers/time/development, they don't have good people/time/development because they aren't paid well, they aren't paid well because we pirate their games, we pirate their games because they suck and we don't want to buy them

Which came first the shovelware or the pirate?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...