I Thought 4.2 Was Supposed to Kill HBC?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Shugo Takahashi, Dec 3, 2009.

Dec 3, 2009
  1. Shugo Takahashi
    OP

Newcomer Shugo Takahashi Advanced Member

United States
    Well, I was kind of getting tired of homebrew since I never use it to pirate anymore and there just aren't enough homebrew apps that interest me. I was using loaders to load retail game discs in order to bypass updates, which to me was seeming kind of pointless since basically I was bypassing homebrew to use the Wii as intended. On top of that, over time I've installed a lot of shit like cIOS's, pirated WiiWare/VC games, channels, etc. and I just wanted to clean up the system and maybe Bannerbomb-install only HBC or something on the off chance I want it again later.

So, I decided to do an official update to 4.2. I thought New Super Mario Bros. Wii had 4.2 on it, so I did that. It just updated to 4.1, which left my Homebrew Channel and an old Backup Channel I still have (but don't use) untouched. After that, I did an online update to 4.2...but everything is still there. Homebrew Channel and Backup Channel are still there and they still work. I thought they were supposed to get cleaned out from 4.2. I don't know if I still have any cIOS's installed, but isn't 4.2 supposed to install over those as well?

In short, is this supposed to happen? Did I screw something up? Everything appears to be working just perfectly, both homebrew and retail. Settings screen says 4.2U.

2. Thomas83Lin

Member Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

United States
    4.2 update doesn't do much if you had already updated your hbc, which a 4.2 update wont delete other than that it might stub some of your cios's but its not going to touch any of your others channels

3. Shugo Takahashi
    OP

Newcomer Shugo Takahashi Advanced Member

United States
    Ah, yes I did update my HBC recently. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I haven't been around in a while, so can someone tell me how to clear out unused homebrew channels (not THE homebrew channel [​IMG]) and/or cIOS's? I really don't need any of them anymore and just want to make sure the system's not full of junk.

4. The Pink Gato

Member The Pink Gato GBAtemp Regular

United States
    4.2 blocked HBC by blacklisting the title 'HAXX' and Team Twiizers changed the title to 'JODI' so it could run on 4.2.

~modmystuff~