Status
Not open for further replies.

eric_4_life

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First, let me just say that I came up with this by following the principle of the Wii wad injection. I know it's not the same on the DS, but coders have been able to port several games on to the DS like Doom + Doom mods and even Starcarft. The idea would be to build a sort of emulator coded for 1 N64 or GBA game, sort of like the Wii does with the virtual console. The end result would be a port. I know that for this to work, a lot of hacking would be required and this project is beyond me, so that is why I am proposing this idea to you guys.

Just give me your feedback

Arno

Trophies
Website
www.nerdtablecomics.com
XP
Country
United States
eric_4_life said:
First, let me just say that I came up with this by following the principle of the Wii wad injection. I know it's not the same on the DS, but coders have been able to port several games on to the DS like Doom + Doom mods and even Starcarft. The idea would be to build a sort of emulator coded for 1 N64 or GBA game, sort of like the Wii does with the virtual console. The end result would be a port. I know that for this to work, a lot of hacking would be required and this project is beyond me, so that is why I am proposing this idea to you guys.

Just give me your feedback

Can't be done.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Run along now, don't reply on the topic and let it die out once more.

Emulating N64 on DS can't be done (it just isn't powerfull or compatible enough), use the search function.

CorruptedAngel

Trophies
XP
Country
The problem the ds has:

ARM-9 CPU running at 67Mhz and an ARM-7 unit running at 33Mhz. 4Mb of main RAM, with additional chunks of cache and shared RAM for the processors and 656Kb of video RAM.

this is not enough to emulate a console that has about the same kind of specs. emulation requires loads more resources than running a game natively. the ds can handle a port because it has similer specs. but in a port the game it rewritten for the ds. the ds simply has not got enough ram and processing power for emulation of the n64 and never will have

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
you might as well try to emulate a PS3 on a gameboy.

N64 CPU = 93.75mhz + 62.5 MHz (sound processor)
N64 RAM = 4mb
N64 screen = 320x240 to 640x480 (with RAM expansion)

NDS CPU = 66mhz + 33mhz
NDS RAM = 4mb
NDS screen = 256x192 (x2)

No amount of hacking is going to get an N64 game running on an NDS. The ONLY way is to code the entire game again, with reduced features and quality.

ZenZero

GBATEMP's regular arse.
Trophies
XP
Country
i think his theroy is a good one...

because the DS CAN emulate the N64 - just at a very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very slow rate. I have always believed that it is possible - we just dont know how.

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
eric_4_life said:
First, let me just say that I came up with this by following the principle of the Wii wad injection.
DS != Wii
I know it's not the same on the DS, but coders have been able to port several games on to the DS like Doom + Doom mods and even Starcarft.
Not Starcraft
The idea would be to build a sort of emulator coded for 1 N64 or GBA game, sort of like the Wii does with the virtual console.
no matter how crazy the idea is, a "sort of emulator" will NEVER work.
The end result would be a port.
Naw it won't. the end result would be FAIL.
I know that for this to work, a lot of hacking would be required and this project is beyond me,
just hacking won't get you anywhere. Unless you recode the full game, No.

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
psycoblaster said:
eric_4_life said:
First, let me just say that I came up with this by following the principle of the Wii wad injection.
DS != Wii
I know it's not the same on the DS, but coders have been able to port several games on to the DS like Doom + Doom mods and even Starcarft.
Not Starcraft
The idea would be to build a sort of emulator coded for 1 N64 or GBA game, sort of like the Wii does with the virtual console.
no matter how crazy the idea is, a "sort of emulator" will NEVER work.
The end result would be a port.
Naw it won't. the end result would be FAIL.
I know that for this to work, a lot of hacking would be required and this project is beyond me,
just hacking won't get you anywhere. Unless you recode the full game, No.
I love how you used the ! after DS little coder
biggrin.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N64 emulation on DS is impossible. To play GBA games, use slot2.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission