thomaspajamas

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ive gone through 2 pairs of ipod earbuds, and while they are nice and portable, in all other aspects they suck. I thought about just ordering another couple pairs of them from the apple store since theyre cheap, but when I went online it turns out that theyre not cheap at all!

So, im not about to spend $29 for a pair of crappy apple earbuds and I need some advice for some new headphones.

Portability would be a nice but im also looking for headphones to use on my computer, too, so everything is an option.

Im gonna be riding a train to and from work everyday over the summer, so I guess I would be more inclined to get somthing that covers my whole ear. I will mostly be using these for ipod/ds and some audio editing on my computer.

Im hoping to spend more or less around $50. Any ideas? Thanks

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a pair of Senheiser CX-300 earphones bought based on many other positive reviews claiming their the best budget earphones around and I can say they are a fantastic buy.

I only paid £15 for mine ($30) from Amazon.co.uk a couple of months back, but the price does seem to have been inflated in the US as the Amazon.com are charging $80 for them.

Fortunately for you folks in the US there are the Creative Labs EP-630 earphones, which are almost identical to the Senheiser CX-300 but available for around $30 from third party amazon.com sellers and dell.com.

Quick note: I would avoid buying off ebay because there are a lot of fake CX-300 and E-630s on the market, and if buying form a third party Amazon seller check out their reveiews.

smile.gif

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ive gone through 2 pairs of ipod earbuds, and while they are nice and portable, in all other aspects they suck. I thought about just ordering another couple pairs of them from the apple store since theyre cheap, but when I went online it turns out that theyre not cheap at all!

So, im not about to spend $29 for a pair of crappy apple earbuds and I need some advice for some new headphones.

Portability would be a nice but im also looking for headphones to use on my computer, too, so everything is an option.

Im gonna be riding a train to and from work everyday over the summer, so I guess I would be more inclined to get somthing that covers my whole ear. I will mostly be using these for ipod/ds and some audio editing on my computer.

Im hoping to spend more or less around $50. Any ideas? Thanks

Well dont know about portables but I got some Zalman Theatre6 surround sound headphones for my PC. Them hoes is awesome. My desk wasn't big enough for a full 5.1 speaker setup so I got them instead. Best $50 I've ever spent
cool.gif

ceraphis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recommend whole-heartedly that you buy the logitech bluetooth wireless headphones.

They actually have REALLY good sound for wireless headphones by using some sort of new a2dp bluetooth technology, they work with anything that supports bluetooth like a bluetooth laptop or ps3.

They cost around $100, but they are well worth it. best headphones I've ever bought, hands down. They look cool too. My girlfriend and I each have a pair, they work much farther than the advertised 33 feet.

You REALLY don't know how awesome it is to finally lose that headphone wire until you try it out. I went in to the purchase very skeptical, bought a pair from best buy knowing I could finagle my way into a refund if I really wanted one, and they were awesome enough that my girlfriend bought a pair for herself almost immediately. She was even ridiculously more skeptical than I was, and was immediately impressed by how great they look and work. She uses them in her ipod and laptop all the time, and when the 8 hours of battery life runs out, she plugs them in to charge and steals mine while hers charge.

I actually started listening to music MORE just due to these being THAT good. Probably the coolest thing about how they look is that you can stuff them under a skullcap and go do heavy work like shoveling snow or mowing the lawn while your ipod safely rests in the garage.

My gf says that she thinks the best thing is that other headphones might be cheaper but they break easily and these are really tough and fit nice and snug on your neck when you don't use them, which is pretty dang safe.

I don't know what else to say about them except that they are really really awesome. You really won't regret getting them. I might sound like I sell the things or work for logitech, but I don't....they are just THAT GOOD.
smile.gif

Anyway whatever you choose, good luck!
smile.gif

thomaspajamas

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice guys

I recommend whole-heartedly that you buy the logitech bluetooth wireless headphones.

They actually have REALLY good sound for wireless headphones by using some sort of new a2dp bluetooth technology, they work with anything that supports bluetooth like a bluetooth laptop or ps3.

They cost around $100, but they are well worth it. best headphones I've ever bought, hands down. They look cool too. My girlfriend and I each have a pair, they work much farther than the advertised 33 feet.

You REALLY don't know how awesome it is to finally lose that headphone wire until you try it out. I went in to the purchase very skeptical, bought a pair from best buy knowing I could finagle my way into a refund if I really wanted one, and they were awesome enough that my girlfriend bought a pair for herself almost immediately. She was even ridiculously more skeptical than I was, and was immediately impressed by how great they look and work. She uses them in her ipod and laptop all the time, and when the 8 hours of battery life runs out, she plugs them in to charge and steals mine while hers charge.

I actually started listening to music MORE just due to these being THAT good. Probably the coolest thing about how they look is that you can stuff them under a skullcap and go do heavy work like shoveling snow or mowing the lawn while your ipod safely rests in the garage.

My gf says that she thinks the best thing is that other headphones might be cheaper but they break easily and these are really tough and fit nice and snug on your neck when you don't use them, which is pretty dang safe.

I don't know what else to say about them except that they are really really awesome. You really won't regret getting them. I might sound like I sell the things or work for logitech, but I don't....they are just THAT GOOD.
smile.gif

Anyway whatever you choose, good luck!
smile.gif

I have one question about these things though, can you use them while theyre charging? Or do they have to sit on like a charging dock or something?

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Personally I'm a fan on Sennheiser's gear. I've got a set of PX-100s which I use as my portable headphones. If you'd prefer a closed backed headphones (I'm a bit of an audiophile so I like my open backs) the PX-200 is the same model but with a closed back design.

I only use them as portable headphones though as I have a much more expensive set I use at home (HD-570s, not sure if they are on the market anymore).

robi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Personally I'm a fan on Sennheiser's gear. I've got a set of PX-100s which I use as my portable headphones. If you'd prefer a closed backed headphones (I'm a bit of an audiophile so I like my open backs) the PX-200 is the same model but with a closed back design.

I only use them as portable headphones though as I have a much more expensive set I use at home (HD-570s, not sure if they are on the market anymore).

I agree with Lukeage here, I have the Sennheiser PX-100 headphones myself, awesome quality. Mine even came in a nice sturdy plastic case.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PX-100-Co...s/dp/B000089GN3

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I use some really old Sennheiser earphones (Like must be 10 yrs old)

EDIT: whats the difference between headphones and earphones.

I'm talking about the big ones witch cover the whole ear, and u guys are talking about small ones inside the ear.

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm running Shure ER6i. Probably the best damn earphones you could buy for under £100. But shure have updated their range since back-in-the-day. Word is, E500s are the killers nowadays.

And if you have the wallet, Etymotics.

And I know what i'm talking about, I used to live @ head-fi.org before moving homes to gbatemp
biggrin.gif

If you're in the market for cheap portable headphones, then PX100 and PX200 by sennheiser

bobrules

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I found a way to noise cancel with ipod ear buds. Just push the bud in to your ear harder with your hand or tape it on your ear. It works really good.

vanlol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I like my koss ksc-75 pair, good sound and inconspicious, better than my old sennheiser earbuds

edit: the ksc-75 and the portapro use the same driver (the speaker bit thingy) just as a side note
smile.gif

noamkot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Koss portapro is a rather cheap portable classic option with awesome sound which is considered by many to be superior to the PX-100.
Read some reviews and go try them out.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a pair of Senheiser CX-300 earphones bought based on many other positive reviews claiming their the best budget earphones around and I can say they are a fantastic buy.

I only paid £15 for mine ($30) from Amazon.co.uk a couple of months back, but the price does seem to have been inflated in the US as the Amazon.com are charging $80 for them.

Second the recommendation for the Senn CX-300's. Terrific quality for the price. I got mine for about $40 off Amazon, so watch for sales.

One warning though, if you use them with the DS, you'll be disappointed. The DS sound output is a little too tinny for good phones. DSO and Moonshell sound is adequate though.

Icarus

fire walk with me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Second the recommendation for the Senn CX-300's. Terrific quality for the price. I got mine for about $40 off Amazon, so watch for sales.

One warning though, if you use them with the DS, you'll be disappointed. The DS sound output is a little too tinny for good phones. DSO and Moonshell sound is adequate though.

Third the recommendation for Sennheisser CX-300. They're the best affordable IEM headphones with great quality !! I use them with my Zen Vision:M and they're simply amazing. Great noise canceling but they might be a little unconfortable at first. But you'll get used to them. In fact, now I just can't use any normal headphones after using this.

Bowser128

King Koopa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Third the recommendation for Sennheisser CX-300. They're the best affordable IEM headphones with great quality !! I use them with my Zen Vision:M and they're simply amazing. Great noise canceling but they might be a little unconfortable at first. But you'll get used to them. In fact, now I just can't use any normal headphones after using this.

Consider it fourthed. The CX300s are the best price/performance compromise out there. Although I have to say, I didn't experience the initial discomfort Filozof referenced, I just had to change the earbud cover for my left ear canal (which is surprisingly smaller than my right
ph34r.gif
) but that wasn't a problem because they come supplied with three different sizes.

ceraphis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never had a pair of really good sound-quality headphones so I can't comment on any of them.

The bluetooth headphones I mentioned earlier charge by both the dongle from ipod etc. and the phones themselves plugging into a wall socket through the use of a charger.
It takes maybe an hour or less to charge them, you can't use them while charging although you CAN use the phones, if unplugged, while the dongle charges. They last a VERY long time because they use very little power as is a big feature of bluetooth in general. You may have seen wireless big headphones that have some sort of dock, that is not at all like this. I had a pair of those big ones a while ago and they sucked: sound terrible, dock ugly, huge as crap.

These are very sleek, minimal, behind-the-head stereo headphones that are simply put: awesome. Look them up they are called freepulse bluetooth headphones by logitech. I highly recommend them. However, if you are looking for super-de-duper quality such as the bose or whatever, that is not these. However those high-quality audio ones would cost like 100 to 200 on their own, and I'm sure they're good. I would take these phones over high quality any day, anywhere. They really are THAT good. They aren't bad quality by any means, in fact they are the best quality I've ever had in headphones, but of course they don't compare to a 200$ pair from sennhauser or bose, they are wireless and simply can't handle noise-canceling, uber-quality like others might. Instead, they are like uber-quality stereo headphones.

Don't know what else to say, there is almost 0% wrong with them. Only thing I can think of is if you wear them for their full 8 hour charge, they might start to hurt your ear a tad bit where you'd need to adjust them, but #1: I wear glasses so that could be the reason, or #2: no headphones are perfect when worn for 8 hours at a time.

thomaspajamas

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

I agree with Lukeage here, I have the Sennheiser PX-100 headphones myself, awesome quality. Mine even came in a nice sturdy plastic case.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PX-100-Co...s/dp/B000089GN3

Ok, one question about the PX-100s, how comfortable are they when wearing them for an extended period of time? Im gonna be riding a train for like 2 hours a day, so I need to know if my ears are going to be hurting by the end of the day

thanks!

skullstatue

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Koss Sparkplugs are the nicest earphones I have ever had. You couldn't hear a jet plane with these things on, although that's what I hate about them.
Excellent bass, mildly good treble and only $15 on Newegg. I wouldn't suggest them for people who like to hear what the person next to you is saying.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol