Loud affordable headphones?

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a pair that I got that sound decent but aren't that loud so I'm hoping to find some with BT connectivity and some bells and whistles doubt I can find ANC I'm looking to spend around $50 won't hold my breath but brand doesn't really matter to me. I prefer over the ear also.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Most places nowadays have limits on loudness as it is actually quite easy to go above unsafe limits, and various countries in turn have placed limits on things (originally mostly France but that spread to Europe and nobody wants to make Europe only models, and also then risk a lawsuit in a few years in the US when someone tries something on then). Most then go find old school stuff that was around before the various limitations were put in.

Depending upon how soldering iron happy you are there might be options for both adding bluetooth (simple battery powered things exist and over the ear cans tend to have a lot of space in the back) and possibly increasing loudness*.

*normally loudness limitations are provided by a resistor -- if you have a minimum resistance at all times then it is never going to go above a certain loudness. Replace this with a lower rated resistor and you have more to go to the sound rather than being burned off as heat from the resistor. Some also note things like the sound levels being set by a reference resistor inside your device (the regs also tended to apply here) and thus can be changed by changing that
https://gbatemp.net/threads/hardwar...volume-of-your-3ds-some-models-so-far.400221/ for a popular example of such things.
You will tend to want low impedance headphones or indeed low impedance components thereof to go with it -- no point in having a superconductor leading up to the coil if the coil was never going to pass enough power to get loud anyway. This can be selected for a bit but you are going to have to go looking.

I will also note most don't necessarily want loudness as much as the ability to drown out outside sounds. In that case might be worth looking into some of the active noise cancellation setups, though budget tends to be an issue there as most such things (especially good ones) tend to be pricier owing to being more than a speaker coil and a bit of wire like open backed or passive noise cancellation options (bit of foam and a good seal around the ear).
I am not a great fan of noise cancellation -- makes me want to fall over, sometimes even more than in ear ones do, so if you can try such a thing then do so.

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Deleted member 397813

Global Dingus
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Koss KSC75

They're cheap as fuck, look cheap as fuck, feel cheap as fuck, but sound amazing!
holy shit i just googled it and jesus they look terrible lmao

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Fake Canadian detected
im not your average canadian, im from like the rudest fucking town in bc lmao

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
holy shit i just googled it and jesus they look terrible lmao
They do look awful, and they feel cheap as fuck. In fact, I had one break within the first month, but Amazon gave me a replacement.

But, they sound really really good. I own them and a bunch of other headphones. They easily sound the best. They're loud as hell too!

Reactions: AncientBoi

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
You want headphones with low impedance, if they're wired. The phone has to output enough to sustain the headphones, which is why they tend to be quiet--the phone needs an AMP to push them further.

Anker hasn't let me down, so I'd say to check what they've got.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You want headphones with low impedance, if they're wired. The phone has to output enough to sustain the headphones, which is why they tend to be quiet--the phone needs an AMP to push them further.

Anker hasn't let me down, so I'd say to check what they've got.
Something like the sound core life neo 2? Looks fancy for $50

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a pair that I got that sound decent but aren't that loud so I'm hoping to find some with BT connectivity and some bells and whistles doubt I can find ANC I'm looking to spend around $50 won't hold my breath but brand doesn't really matter to me. I prefer over the ear also.
I had the aukey ep-n5 for $30 usdm had anc and decent battery life, good sound/bass, they were just really uncomfortable at least for my ears. Ending up returning them when I got the galaxy buds+ on a price mistake for $40.

The question is do you really need anc?
Unless you live/work in noisy areas, it's not really worth it imo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Sicklyboy, not that bad ig +1