Hacking I just bought a Gateway. Can't get refund because it doesn't work with the New 3DS.

PeepersCreepers

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I contacted *siteremoved* before buying my Gateway and was told it would work on a new 3DS.

I got it, and it does not. Both of my friends bought a Sky3DS and are playing Smash Bros right now. I can't, since the Gateway is a paperweight for the New 3DS, and *siteremoved* lied about it working for the New 3DS.

I contacted them again and this time they told me there is no guarantee that it will ever work for the New 3DS, and they will not give me a refund since it was my mistake.
This is stupid. I even sent them the e-mail I got from them earlier and was told that the other rep thought I was talking about a new Old 3DS.

Can they pull this nonsense with me? Anyone have any idea on how to get my money back, or at least pay a bit more and have them send me a Sky3DS?

Thank you, sorry for the ranty post, I just don't want to throw away $70.

Edit: Removing site. Don't want to get in any trouble. Never thought about it that way.
Eidt2: Already taken care of. I sold it on craigslist for more than what I paid for it, and got a free game to boot. I consider this topic closed. Thank you very much to all who helped.

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can see it from both sides. But you really should've gone to Gateway's site and confirmed it through their site directly instead of asking a third party.

TehLexinator

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't sweat it and don't bother trying to get a refund.
Sell your Gateway on Craigslist and you will probably make a proffit.

Also remove that site from your post. They can get you in trouble for libel/slander since they are already denying things, and the naming convention is confusing.

PeepersCreepers

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you guys for the quick reply. I will try my luck with craigslist.

I also took your advice and removed the web site from my OP.

IronClouds, please remove it from yours as well.

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
To be honest, this is beyond stupid, especially since they told you that it actually supports N3DS when it doesn't, they must give you the money back.

I would just politely hint that if they're not willing to cooperate that you're going to charge the money back by calling your CC company/bank, since there's a clear proof of their fault where they promised you that it supports N3DS.

If you don't want to go through all that trouble it clearly says on their website that they're more than willing to exchange the product to something else of equal value, I would try to contact them and tell them that you just want to add another 20$ for a Sky3DS if that's what you want.

PeepersCreepers

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your life? :D

Good point. Meet in a public place. Gas station or something with lots of cameras. Inside a bank is great too.

If they try to rob you, let them go. They are being recorded by dozens of cameras.

I have no issue with that. That is what a CCW Permit is for, and I am damn proud to carry a firearm as a red blooded American.

inihility

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
That's pretty scummy of them to misrepresent their product like that, however a quick look up on these forums among other places would have prevented you from making the bad purchase.

Regardless, welcome onboard the wait train.

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. I wouldn't worry about libel if you live in the US. That would require them proving in open court that you intentionally made false statements about their company in order to defame them and that they suffered financial losses as a result. The last thing a company operating a legally-dubious business is going to want to do is file a libel case they cannot possibly win.

2. If you paid with a major credit card processor, just do a chargeback. The company likely won't fight it since, again, they are running a dubious business and don't want a major processor like Visa or Mastercard to ban them. If you paid with Paypal, do the same thing, although it is not as easy or straightforward as a normal credit card provider. If you paid with cash (or the equivalent like a check), you're out of options.

3. You can sue in small claims court if they are a US business, but it is probably more of a hassle than it is worth considering your situation.

4. You can just cut your losses and sell the thing and probably get most of your money back.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, https://youtu.be/KaMSXIRReOo?si=2hRoijJtiwPUHXk5