I just bought a Gateway. Can't get refund because it doesn't work with the New 3DS.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by PeepersCreepers, Feb 20, 2015.

1. PeepersCreepers
    OP

PeepersCreepers Member

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2015
    United States
    Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I contacted *siteremoved* before buying my Gateway and was told it would work on a new 3DS.

I got it, and it does not. Both of my friends bought a Sky3DS and are playing Smash Bros right now. I can't, since the Gateway is a paperweight for the New 3DS, and *siteremoved* lied about it working for the New 3DS.

I contacted them again and this time they told me there is no guarantee that it will ever work for the New 3DS, and they will not give me a refund since it was my mistake.
    This is stupid. I even sent them the e-mail I got from them earlier and was told that the other rep thought I was talking about a new Old 3DS.

Can they pull this nonsense with me? Anyone have any idea on how to get my money back, or at least pay a bit more and have them send me a Sky3DS?

Thank you, sorry for the ranty post, I just don't want to throw away $70.

Edit: Removing site. Don't want to get in any trouble. Never thought about it that way.
    Eidt2: Already taken care of. I sold it on craigslist for more than what I paid for it, and got a free game to boot. I consider this topic closed. Thank you very much to all who helped.

2. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pokébro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    I can see it from both sides. But you really should've gone to Gateway's site and confirmed it through their site directly instead of asking a third party.

3. TehLexinator

TehLexinator GBAtemp Regular

Jun 1, 2009
    United States
    Don't sweat it and don't bother trying to get a refund.
    Sell your Gateway on Craigslist and you will probably make a proffit.

Also remove that site from your post. They can get you in trouble for libel/slander since they are already denying things, and the naming convention is confusing.

4. CrazySpaniard

CrazySpaniard Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2008
    Canada
    if you paid with a credit card you might be able to do a chargeback

TehLexinator likes this.
  5. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    But it will work....soon.

6. PeepersCreepers
    OP

PeepersCreepers Member

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2015
    United States
    Thank you guys for the quick reply. I will try my luck with craigslist.

I also took your advice and removed the web site from my OP.

IronClouds, please remove it from yours as well.

7. Psi-hate

Psi-hate GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    Wait for N3DS support I guess.

Margen67 likes this.
  8. Haymose

Haymose GBAtemp Fan

Mar 24, 2014
    United States
    Wait it out a little longer. It will be worth it. I sat on my Gateway and couldn't play online for months but It was well worth it when Gateway support was finally released.

Margen67, Maximilious and cvskid like this.
  9. TehLexinator

Jun 1, 2009
    United States
    Another good idea, but go with Craigslist first. What do you have to lose?

10. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    Your life? :D

_eyCaRambA_, cvskid and TehLexinator like this.
  11. TehLexinator

Jun 1, 2009
    United States
    Good point. Meet in a public place. Gas station or something with lots of cameras. Inside a bank is great too.

If they try to rob you, let them go. They are being recorded by dozens of cameras.

12. Ra1d

Ra1d GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 31, 2010
    Canada
    To be honest, this is beyond stupid, especially since they told you that it actually supports N3DS when it doesn't, they must give you the money back.

I would just politely hint that if they're not willing to cooperate that you're going to charge the money back by calling your CC company/bank, since there's a clear proof of their fault where they promised you that it supports N3DS.

If you don't want to go through all that trouble it clearly says on their website that they're more than willing to exchange the product to something else of equal value, I would try to contact them and tell them that you just want to add another 20$ for a Sky3DS if that's what you want.

13. PeepersCreepers
    OP

PeepersCreepers Member

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2015
    United States
    I have no issue with that. That is what a CCW Permit is for, and I am damn proud to carry a firearm as a red blooded American.

14. Fgamer

Fgamer Member

Newcomer
    May 26, 2012
    'dem gangsta flashcart robbers!

Chinese mafia perhaps?

15. DragonSky

DragonSky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 27, 2010
    Belgium
    You will just get a Gatewait then.

16. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    Believe me when gateway works on the new 3ds soon then your friends who bought sky3ds will regret it

Margen67 and SaggyBeans like this.
  17. ImYoungxD

ImYoungxD Member

Newcomer
    Nov 18, 2008
    United States
    I would wait for Gateway support on N3DS.
    You can buy Sky3DS and once Gateway support is out, I would craigslist Sky3ds.

18. inihility

inihility Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2015
    Hong Kong
    That's pretty scummy of them to misrepresent their product like that, however a quick look up on these forums among other places would have prevented you from making the bad purchase.

Regardless, welcome onboard the wait train.

19. Wisenheimer

Wisenheimer GBAtemp Fan

Sep 23, 2013
    United States
    1. I wouldn't worry about libel if you live in the US. That would require them proving in open court that you intentionally made false statements about their company in order to defame them and that they suffered financial losses as a result. The last thing a company operating a legally-dubious business is going to want to do is file a libel case they cannot possibly win.

2. If you paid with a major credit card processor, just do a chargeback. The company likely won't fight it since, again, they are running a dubious business and don't want a major processor like Visa or Mastercard to ban them. If you paid with Paypal, do the same thing, although it is not as easy or straightforward as a normal credit card provider. If you paid with cash (or the equivalent like a check), you're out of options.

3. You can sue in small claims court if they are a US business, but it is probably more of a hassle than it is worth considering your situation.

4. You can just cut your losses and sell the thing and probably get most of your money back.

logg, tbb043, ztoben and 1 other person like this.
  20. zaj

zaj Member

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2009
    Belgium
    if you paid with paypal just file a chargeback. and post screenshots of ur mails.