I Have a Fear...

Isaiah

The Conductor
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I was just wondering... will Nintendo keep their wifi servers up for a long time? If not i'm going to retreat to a dark dusty corner and have a little cry... Though seriously do you think that Nintendo will take down the servers in the next couple of years?

jesuschristmonke

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Possibly. The world economy is in deep trouble on account of a equities correction of major proportions. Nothing seen in your lifetime. American Consumers have stopped charging, Chinese Factories have stopped producing, British Financiers have stopped.... doing uh, well what ever they do. Toyota posted it's first operating loss since, what the 1940's?

Cutbacks are happening everywhere. It's not inconceivable that Nintendo eventually sees free Wifi access as non-cost effective.

Just sayin'

DrYHeLL

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ohmy.gif

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's an interesting thought, but seeing as how the DSi will have full compatibility with DS games, and DS wi-fi, I don't think the servers will be going anywhere for a while. If anything, the DSi seems more geared towards wi-fi interactivity than the DS. I would imagine they are more focused on actually upgrading their wi-fi infrastructure to handle the new business model that download-able paid content provides.

In short, I think that the servers will remain long after most people's interest in DS wi-fi has faded and been long forgotten.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
cupajoe38 said:
I don't think they'll be shutting down the wifi servers for at least 5 years.

On a side note: Is the ps2 online service still running?

A lot of servers have been shut down (Twisted Metal: Black Online, Amplitude, etc.), but some popular games' servers are still up. There is a rumor that they might shut down all PS2 servers this year.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
it will happen, as soon as the latest nintendo handheld can no longer play DS games i would imagine. so I guess that makes us safe for the handheld after the DSi if they make it backwards compatible. It has happened with a lot of PC games though that the central server to locate online games has closed....

DeMoN said:
I can pretty much guarantee that you'll lose interest before they do. So don't even think about when they'll shut off the service.

people still play NES games.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Szyslak said:
In short, I think that the servers will remain long after most people's interest in DS wi-fi has faded and been long forgotten.
Who's to say they don't make their next consoles wifi compatible and use the same servers?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night