Gaming I dont want Ubuntu (:

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I'm finding Ubuntu to hard, with the comand line and installing things. Windows is just easier. So i searched Google and i got this from Mircosoft website

QUOTE said:
To remove Linux from your computer and install Windows XP, follow these steps:

1. Remove the native, swap, and boot partitions used by Linux:
1. Start your computer with the Linux Setup floppy disk, type fdisk at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Thing is i don't have a floppy disc drive for both of these computers. So i search again to see if there is a way without floppy disc, no luck.
When i tryed installing Ubuntu on my computer, i couldnt do it the boot way, i had to turn it on, and it said it will install something so it is able to boot Ubuntu up. That got me worried, cause there is another way it said, but that competely formatting the hard drive, and i don't know if it would boot with the Windows disc i have got (i got it from my mum who got it off the internet
wink.gif
)

The first thing i did try is seeing if it booted up, but it didn't then i found out on the mircosoft website

QUOTEThis article explains how to remove the Linux operating system from your computer and install Windows XP. This article assumes that Linux is already installed on your computer's hard disk, that Linux native and Linux swap partitions are in use (which are incompatible with Windows XP), and that there is no free space left on the hard disk.

So the boot disc must not be capable of running then?

I know this must be like confusing, because i talk weird lol. so the question is,
How can i re-install Windows XP Pro and completely take off Ubuntu.

nicman000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
First, don't worry about removing Linux yet, just find a Windows install disc that works and boots. I'm assuming you changed the boot order/picked a device to boot from already? Because it sounds like you're saying that the current disc you have doesn't work/boot.

flusflus89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Insert the XP installation disc, reboot the pc with it inside and do it. just delete all partitions and install xp on the empty space. now if you have backup to do, it'll be harder...

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
nicman000 said:
First, don't worry about removing Linux yet, just find a Windows install disc that works and boots. I'm assuming you changed the boot order/picked a device to boot from already? Because it sounds like you're saying that the current disc you have doesn't work/boot.

i tryed booting the disc up, but it wouldnt load.
it says error cant load and goes to boot ubuntu up.

EDIT: I think i know the reason why my Windows disc will not boot up.
I tryed it again, and it said it would do it with both my Ubuntu Disc and Windows.
Them i was like wtf, so i tryed the other CD Drive, didnt work.
But when i installed Ubuntu the first time, i had the use the second CD drive when on Windows to install it

So, is there any way to change the BIOS so the boot disc will run from my second CD drive?
The first CD Drive will not load the disc up. I tryed looking on system settings on boot up, but no luck finding any options

EDITEDIT: Working now (: My first CD Drive was broke or something, so i couldn't boot up ma windows disc.
So i made my Second CD Drive the Master, by taking it apart and doing them pin things, and it working fine (:

BedtimeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ubuntu is a VERY good os... and installing things is as easy as opening the installer and finding what you want... but if you want something like xp but better try linux mint!

mattsaysfooey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Both of them have good uses. Install linux first then xp on another partition and dual boot?
It's hard to game really with linux? Are any recent high resource games working on linux fully?
Do win32 emulators handle applications like that? I haven't looked into running RE5 in gentoo or ubuntu
has anyone tried to do this? :X

Maat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi-rez games on linux.....hammm linux doesn't have directx how dou plan to use hi-rez games?
If you like to play newer games i think your best option is stay with windows, for the games.
In my computer i have both windows and linux. Sometimes i use one or another, but evertime that i need to do something that really doesn't need something that only windows can do then i go to linux.
I prefer to first install windows and then after that install linux it's more easy i think, because when you first install linux and then windows, the windows remove the linux boot and you would need to reinstall the boot.

D

Deleted_171835

Maat said:
Hi-rez games on linux.....hammm linux doesn't have directx how dou plan to use hi-rez games?
If you like to play newer games i think your best option is stay with windows, for the games.
In my computer i have both windows and linux. Sometimes i use one or another, but evertime that i need to do something that really doesn't need something that only windows can do then i go to linux.
I prefer to first install windows and then after that install linux it's more easy i think, because when you first install linux and then windows, the windows remove the linux boot and you would need to reinstall the boot.
Wha, wha, WHAT! What the hell did you just say? You can just create a partition and install Linux on the partiton and Windows on the main drive. At least that's what I do.

Myidentityisasec

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I had problems with windows and ubuntu too. XD
All you do is use a CD instead of a floppy. That post was probably uotdated.
Hope it works.
:]

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
QUOTE said:
Eum, openGL? Also you can install directx in Wine afaik
wink.gif
. For me not every shader works but aside from that Track Mania Nations runs fine (see play on linux if you're having a hard time).

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Scorpei said:
QUOTE said:
Eum, openGL? Also you can install directx in Wine afaik
wink.gif
. For me not every shader works but aside from that Track Mania Nations runs fine (see play on linux if you're having a hard time).

most game developers use directX...just a few use opengl

XWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
I think you missunderstood... Linux can use OpenGL to emulate DirectX - it captures the gfx instructions and re-routes through OpenGL. I have it working like this for Virtualbox (a virtual machine with XP installed on it within my Linux desktop).

Vidboy10

Tsardom
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Heran Bago said:
"It takes me too long to learn how to use the command line."

*takes forever learning how to install Windows off of a boot disc*

QUOTE(Arm the Homeless @ Oct 15 2009, 08:26 AM) "I'm finding Ubuntu to hard, with the comand line and installing things."

Holy shit, I'm not sure I've ever heard something more stupid.
sleep.gif
Hey hey, Give the guy some slack.
When i first used Ubuntu i thought it was extremely hard to install stuff and such.
But now i know how to use it!
biggrin.gif

So don't worry, He'll figure out how to use it.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Ello