Hacking I don't understand how to keep my GBA saves permanently.

Pi3ce0fmind

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have had my M3 Real DS for quite a while and DS emulation has worked great. It saves fine and I have had no real problems except running The World Ends With You and Metroid Prime Hunters. However on the GBA side I have encountered a save problem. In the beginning saving worked fine. I had it set to Patch and RTS Disabled because I wanted to play the games like they were meant to be played. I played a few games and they saved fine. Now I came back to my DS after a few weeks and all of my GBA saves are gone. The Minish Cap won't even let me create a new game. I have not downloaded anyhting recently so maybe there is a patch out? Any help would be awesome thanks.

g6team

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
There could be several reason that the GBA isn't saving properly.

1) Try charging the Gba Expansion plug it in your nds leave it charging.
2) After you exit from a saved GBA game you have to turn your Nds back on and go back to the GBA menu to transfer the saved from the Sdram to the main save.

Pi3ce0fmind

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I charged the thing and nothing happened. The problem with method 2 is that I have no saves anymore. Do my saves get erased when I remove the expansion pack? Also I noticed when I opened the GBA file on my comp that there are multiple types of saves for each game. .sav . is0 .0 are what I see for Metroid Zero Mission. Maybe the thing isn't charging correctly because I just charged it and it still won't let me save on The Minish Cap.

Also how do I boot up Gameboy and Gameboy Color games on Sakura? It only shows GBA games.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Pi3ce0fmind said:
Do my saves get erased when I remove the expansion pack?I'm not sure exactly how it works, but my understanding is that when you save on a GBA ROM, that save data remains in RAM (the Slot-2 expansion pack), and the battery keeps it from vanishing while the DS is turned off. Once you remove the expansion pack, you cut off its power source (the charged DS) and the save is lost. That's why you have to turn the DS right back on after shutting off so that the RAM has a chance to offload its save data to flash memory (the MicroSD card in Slot-1). That's just what I figured without even bothering to do any research, so I'm actually talking out of my ass right now. But if I'm wrong someone please correct me so I don't have to remain ignorant about it.
smile.gif

Pi3ce0fmind said:
Also I noticed when I opened the GBA file on my comp that there are multiple types of saves for each game. .sav . is0 .0 are what I see for Metroid Zero Mission. Maybe the thing isn't charging correctly because I just charged it and it still won't let me save on The Minish Cap.The .0 file is probably an old save file that you had from using an older version of TouchPod. I'm think that the .sav is the more updated save file. And .is0 isn't a save file at all. It holds information about your settings for that particular ROM (whether you have cheats, RTS or patch/fast load enabled).

QUOTE(Pi3ce0fmind @ Dec 23 2008, 01:49 AM)
Also how do I boot up Gameboy and Gameboy Color games on Sakura? It only shows GBA games.
You need Lameboy or DSBoy. Check this thread.

Pi3ce0fmind

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I do remember turning it on and off every time I played so that it would say "processing data Keep Power On" at the bottom of the screen. I figured that much out when I was playing Metroid. However I recently came back to find all of my saves erased and The Minish cap saying that all the files were corrupt. I assume the battery is dead because nothing saves at all anymore even after changing the saving process to patch. But why has it not charged yet?

Thanks for the explanation of is0 as I had no idea what that was. Also I tried Lameboy and it works great.

Rob_Threat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
And .is0 isn't a save file at all. It holds information about your settings for that particular ROM (whether you have cheats, RTS or patch/fast load enabled).

QUOTEThanks for the explanation of is0 as I had no idea what that was. Also I tried Lameboy and it works great.

the *.is0 file is the RealTimeSave... it's always been M3's GBA RTS extension... since the Slot-2 days of old
smile.gif

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Rob_Threat said:
the *.is0 file is the RealTimeSave... it's always been M3's GBA RTS extension... since the Slot-2 days of old
smile.gif
Thanks for clearing that up
smile.gif

The .is0 file appears in folders containing .nds ROMs as well, but this has been happening even before RTS was available for .nds ROMs. Do they serve the same purpose for NDS?

Rob_Threat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Densetsu3000 said:
The .is0 file appears in folders containing .nds ROMs as well, but this has been happening even before RTS was available for .nds ROMs. Do they serve the same purpose for NDS?

Yeah, I noticed that too. It made more sense once RTS for NDS was introduced into the TouchPod OS. It shows that they've had big plans for a while.
smile.gif
It may have also had some relation to soft reset... GBalpha says the features are tied together. Nevertheless, *.is0 files are the basis of RTSaves.

Speaking of TouchPod, that name used to be just for the not-so-great G6/M3 PDA program that debuted in the Slot-2 Perfect era. Kinda funny to see it back as a featured name.

BTW, for now anyway... the *.opt files hold NDS ROM settings

Pi3ce0fmind

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Several months later and the issue still hasn't been resolved. I must be unlucky with electronics because I have been having multiple issues recently. Anyways I am not sure I want to drop another $20, but I need to play some GBA games. My iPhone can't be jailbroken and I don't want to play on VBA.

Also is it possible to send GBA save Data from an actual GBA cart like you can with SavSender for NDS games?

lordgoober

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was having problems with Sakura corrupting my save files quite often and not having some GBA games save period. Once I nuked Sakura and went back to Touchpod several months ago I haven't had any problems with my GBA game saves.

Yohko86

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
yohko86smuzak.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Maybe you should try a GBA SRAM patcher program. I've seen a lot of old posts floating around about Zelda Minish Cap's save feature not working because it doesn't use SRAM for saving like most GBA games do (it uses 14-bit EEPROM to save I believe). You can use this program here to patch your game and it will hopefully solve your saving problem! I haven't played Minish Cap nor have I used this tool but I read that a lot of people have had good results with it.

So for future reference, if a GBA game doesn't save, it may have to be patched first!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Arne214 @ Arne214: Hi i was wondering where i can download a fresh istall for the mii maker on wii u (EU). The...