I don't understand how to keep my GBA saves permanently.

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by Pi3ce0fmind, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Pi3ce0fmind
    OP

Newcomer Pi3ce0fmind Newbie

United States
    I have had my M3 Real DS for quite a while and DS emulation has worked great. It saves fine and I have had no real problems except running The World Ends With You and Metroid Prime Hunters. However on the GBA side I have encountered a save problem. In the beginning saving worked fine. I had it set to Patch and RTS Disabled because I wanted to play the games like they were meant to be played. I played a few games and they saved fine. Now I came back to my DS after a few weeks and all of my GBA saves are gone. The Minish Cap won't even let me create a new game. I have not downloaded anyhting recently so maybe there is a patch out? Any help would be awesome thanks.

2. g6team

Member g6team GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Hong Kong
    There could be several reason that the GBA isn't saving properly.

1) Try charging the Gba Expansion plug it in your nds leave it charging.
    2) After you exit from a saved GBA game you have to turn your Nds back on and go back to the GBA menu to transfer the saved from the Sdram to the main save.

3. Pi3ce0fmind
    OP

United States
    Well I charged the thing and nothing happened. The problem with method 2 is that I have no saves anymore. Do my saves get erased when I remove the expansion pack? Also I noticed when I opened the GBA file on my comp that there are multiple types of saves for each game. .sav . is0 .0 are what I see for Metroid Zero Mission. Maybe the thing isn't charging correctly because I just charged it and it still won't let me save on The Minish Cap.

Also how do I boot up Gameboy and Gameboy Color games on Sakura? It only shows GBA games.

4. Densetsu

Former Staff Densetsu Pubic Ninja

United States
    You need Lameboy or DSBoy. Check this thread.

5. Pi3ce0fmind
    OP

United States
    Yeah I do remember turning it on and off every time I played so that it would say "processing data Keep Power On" at the bottom of the screen. I figured that much out when I was playing Metroid. However I recently came back to find all of my saves erased and The Minish cap saying that all the files were corrupt. I assume the battery is dead because nothing saves at all anymore even after changing the saving process to patch. But why has it not charged yet?

Thanks for the explanation of is0 as I had no idea what that was. Also I tried Lameboy and it works great.

6. Rob_Threat

Member Rob_Threat GBAtemp Regular

United States

the *.is0 file is the RealTimeSave... it's always been M3's GBA RTS extension... since the Slot-2 days of old [​IMG]

7. Densetsu

Former Staff Densetsu Pubic Ninja

United States
    Thanks for clearing that up [​IMG]

The .is0 file appears in folders containing .nds ROMs as well, but this has been happening even before RTS was available for .nds ROMs. Do they serve the same purpose for NDS?

8. Rob_Threat

Member Rob_Threat GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah, I noticed that too. It made more sense once RTS for NDS was introduced into the TouchPod OS. It shows that they've had big plans for a while. [​IMG] It may have also had some relation to soft reset... GBalpha says the features are tied together. Nevertheless, *.is0 files are the basis of RTSaves.

Speaking of TouchPod, that name used to be just for the not-so-great G6/M3 PDA program that debuted in the Slot-2 Perfect era. Kinda funny to see it back as a featured name.

BTW, for now anyway... the *.opt files hold NDS ROM settings

9. Pi3ce0fmind
    OP

United States
    Yep still can't save. I guess the battery really must have died.

10. Pi3ce0fmind
    OP

United States
    Several months later and the issue still hasn't been resolved. I must be unlucky with electronics because I have been having multiple issues recently. Anyways I am not sure I want to drop another $20, but I need to play some GBA games. My iPhone can't be jailbroken and I don't want to play on VBA.

Also is it possible to send GBA save Data from an actual GBA cart like you can with SavSender for NDS games?

11. lordgoober

Newcomer lordgoober Advanced Member

United States
    I was having problems with Sakura corrupting my save files quite often and not having some GBA games save period. Once I nuked Sakura and went back to Touchpod several months ago I haven't had any problems with my GBA game saves.

12. Schizoanalysis

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia
    Just checked mine, yep it has a battery.

You could try changing the battery - there is a guide for the 3in1 -- it should be the same process.

13. Yohko86

Newcomer Yohko86 Member

United States
    Maybe you should try a GBA SRAM patcher program. I've seen a lot of old posts floating around about Zelda Minish Cap's save feature not working because it doesn't use SRAM for saving like most GBA games do (it uses 14-bit EEPROM to save I believe). You can use this program here to patch your game and it will hopefully solve your saving problem! I haven't played Minish Cap nor have I used this tool but I read that a lot of people have had good results with it.

So for future reference, if a GBA game doesn't save, it may have to be patched first!