Hacking I can't tell if this is a fake

Lokipop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ordered an AceKard 2i awhile back after I got my Dsi Xl and it came updated to work with the firmware 1.4. At the AkMenu it says its the Akaio release 1.5.1 and it runs fine until recently when I tried to update to 1.7.1 version. After it load it up I get a red screen that says something like "This may not be a genuine Acekard." Which leads me to think its a fake but then again 1.5.1 works on it fine and I heard it won't work at all on fakes. Any suggestions of what to do?
Edit: This is a HW:80 and the color strip looks dark blue/black.
Edit: This card works with all firmware including 1.7.1 Akaio while in a Ds Lite but get an error message when trying to use it in my Dsi Xl

powerfull Tails

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
it probably is saying you 'might' have a fake.

maybe a acekard expert could help you see if its a clone.

EDIT: looks like you do have a fake.

you should probably use a difrent store to by your carts as the one you used might be a clone (fake cart) dealer.

Lokipop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ordered it from ishopvideogame .com back and march and had no problems with the 1.5.1 firmware until I recently tried to update to 1.7.1.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That's weird, I'm pretty sure ishopvideogame.com is supposed to be pretty good, before shoptemp they were a GBAtemp affiliate.
Maybe at the time there was just a batch of bad/fake acekards that got out, and it also affected realhotstuff or something.

In any case, at least you can still use 1.5.1 on there. It won't play the latest games as easily but it's something.
You can always buy a new flashcart, the ones at shoptemp.com are genuine HWID:81.

Lokipop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I had heard the site was good and didn't even consider this being a fake until the recent problems I ran into. The card runs the newest official acekard firmware on ds lite but not on my Dsi XL, I am gonna test the 1.7.1 on the ds lite but the whole point is to have it working on my dsi xl.
Edit: I removed the folders and replaced them and I have the Akmenu 4.23 official firmware working on the Dsi Xl but still can't get the Akaio 1.7.1 to work. Is it possible for the newest official to be working on a clone/fake?

Lokipop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I don't plan on using the official firmware just wanted to use it as a check for fakes. I am still confused on how to determine if its a fake because I have firmware 1.7.1 Akaio running fine on this card, but only while its in the Ds Lite, I get an error message when I try using it on my Dsi XL.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Your cart is a fake. It's actually a clone of the Acekard 2.1 which has been fudged with the 1.4 fix. It's for this reason it has a HWID of 80, the same HWID that genuine Acekard 2.1's have.

You should be able to use AKAIO 1.6RC2 on your cart if you use it on a DS Lite or DS Original. I believe that AKAIO 1.7 may work, but the yellow DMA mode was causing issues on the fake carts. There is no way to get any version of AKAIO later that 1.5.1 on your cart if you use it on a DSi. As fair as AKAIO is concerned your cart is an Acekard 2.1. Because AKAIO knows the Acekard 2.1's doesn't work on the DSi, it knows it's a fake and so blocks it.

As for the retailer you brought it from, I believe the person behind that is a friend of Costello's and also is the person behind several other 'familar' sites. I imagine they will replace the cart if you prove to them it's a fake.

Lokipop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the info. I have sent a message to the online retailer saying the product I was shipped is a fake. I also noticed a top banner on the site says it is dedicated to genuine flash cards so I am upset that this happened.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If they ask for proof, take a look at My Acekard guide. In the updating the firmware section there's a photo of the screen that you get if you attempt to update your cart (except my photo has a different HWID). Take a photo of your Acekard on that screen along with a photo of the front of the cart, you should be able to visibly see a square shape underneath the sticker.

That would be enough proof for me. The retailer probably wasn't aware they are fakes. I know they also run the gamesyeah site and gamesyeahh site, and the DSdatabase person on here had to explain to them all these R4i's weren't genuine R4's (gamesyeah sponsered his site)

edit:

This is the screen I was refering to:

IMG_3707.jpg

If you attempt to update the firmware, you'll get that screen except the HWID will be 8080.

Lokipop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I can see and feel a square under the front sticker.
Edit: Yes! I had that screen when I tried updating the card. I had upgraded a previous Acekard 2i for a friend so I know how to do it but this time around I got that error message. It worked with the 1.5.1 on my Dsi Xl so I was hoping it wasn't a fake but I guess I am out of luck.

Lokipop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
maplencounter said:
should have used shoptemp...
Shoptemp didn't exist in March.
That might explain why I haven't heard of it lol. I originally had a DSi and a legit Acekad 2i. When march came around it was my friend's birthday so I gave them the dsi and the card and got myself a Dsi Xl and ordered another card.

EDIT: But thanks because it seems this ShopTemp has reasonable prices and is trustworthy with real cards.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ShopTemp didn't come from nowhere, GBAtemp partnered with an already existing retailer to create ShopTemp... I believe that retailer may be ishopvideogames.

It's the reason why I believe your issue should get sorted. ishopvideogames has also been around in one form or another for quite a few years, and have for few of those supported/ sponsered GBAtemp & FileTrip. I've not really seen anything bad about them on the forums.

powerfull Tails

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yea use shop temp it looks good

though iv never used it and i highly recommend veebuy over shop temp. shop temp looks and sounds excellent

Lokipop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They e-mailed me back assuring their products are genuine so I replied with pictures attached of the card itself with the visible bump, the error message I get while trying to update it (showing HW:80) along with the error messsage "This may not be a genuine Acekard. Please contact your vendor" when I try to run 1.7.1 on the card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, you work at Samsung?