A dying dream..
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So i insert a blank dvd into my laptop's dvd-rewritable drive. the thing comes up asking me what i want to do. i choose open writable folder. then it says: "error d:\ is not accessible. incorrect function." i try nero, it says there's no disc there. i try my computer, and my dvd drive turned into a cd drive, and it won't let me access it :S i didn't change anything with the drivers, and i've been using the same dvds as i always have. the only thing that might have caused the problem was upgrading to sp 3. any thoughts? (umm how do you guys find out exactly what dvd drive i have, if that info can help you guys.)

note, it was previously working fine, but then it suddenly stops working. and no i can't return it cuz warranty expired. is this a driver issue or is my dvd drive just broken? (the cd function still works) thanks in advance

da_head

A dying dream..
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Law said:
How many blank DVDs did you try? Just one?

Tried any other brand of blank DVDs?

lol obviously i tried more than one (15 to be exact), and i determined there's nothing wrong with the discs.
no i didn't try another brand, because it's the same ones i've always been using. y would my computer suddenly not recognize them? o.O
therefore, doesn't that point to a computer problem?

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What do you expect to see with a blank dvd?? its blank
smile.gif

and try reinstall the ASPI layer using FORCE ASPI link

download and run the INSTASPI.bat file to reinstall the ASPI layer needed for burning ...

also using the inbuilt burning isn't a very good option
frown.gif

try using Nero again once ASPI has been reinstalled (note needs a reboot after install)

or something like freeware software CD BURNER XP to burn your disks
smile.gif

oh and drive info will give you details of what burner you have link

and if you think SP 3 is the problem then uninstall SP 3 ... I have SP 3 installed and currently have no problems!

da_head

A dying dream..
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
@kobykaan: did u even read what i wrote? yes i realize a blank dvd is BLANK. i want to burn things on it, but the computer doesn't recognize the disc. it either gives me an error or states that there is NO disc in the drive. and it's not a matter of installing new burning software, because not even going to "my computer" can access it.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
da_head said:
@kobykaan: did u even read what i wrote? yes i realize a blank dvd is BLANK. i want to burn things on it, but the computer doesn't recognize the disc. it either gives me an error or states that there is NO disc in the drive. and it's not a matter of installing new burning software, because not even going to "my computer" can access it.

try my solutions and see how you go
smile.gif

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
da_head said:
Law said:
How many blank DVDs did you try? Just one?

Tried any other brand of blank DVDs?

lol obviously i tried more than one (15 to be exact), and i determined there's nothing wrong with the discs.
no i didn't try another brand, because it's the same ones i've always been using. y would my computer suddenly not recognize them? o.O
therefore, doesn't that point to a computer problem?

You'd be surprised how many people have told me they've had problems with their DVD drives when they only tried one blank DVD (which was the cause of the problem).

Anyway, to find out what DVD drive you have just go into your Device Manager (Right Click My Computer, Properties, Hardware tab, Device Manager) then click the + where it says DVD/CD-ROM drives. It'll tell you what DVD Drive you have. If you right click it, go to Properties. Hit the driver tab and you should be able to update the drivers there via the Internet.

Although, I very much doubt drivers are the issue. Windows probably wouldn't even detect the drive if the drivers were at fault.

Try what kobykaan said.

da_head

A dying dream..
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
k guys thanks for the help so far. i dled the program u said about the driver info. this is what i got:

edit: @kobykaan: i apologize for my ignorance. i'll try out the rest of ur suggestions.

frig the image is small. k here's wat it says:

D: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-841S 1.50

THIS DRIVE HAS REGION PROTECTION

Region Info

Region code: 1
User: 4 changes left
Manufacturer: 4 changes left

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
da_head said:
k guys thanks for the help so far. i dled the program u said about the driver info. this is what i got:

try the aspi reinstall with the force aspi program i linked too and you could also try not use xp built in burning ...

to disable the IMAPI burning ..

goto Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, double-click "IMAPI CD
Burning", click Stop, then set "Start up type" as "Disabled".

edit: thumbnail is small if click it it expands to a bigger pic
wink.gif

da_head

A dying dream..
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
k i installed the aspi thing like u said. and when i went to disable the imapi burning, it was already stopped :S. i started it just to check, and i got a different message this time: Please insert a disk intro drive D:

so should i go by ur suggestion and stop/disable it, or leave it running.

edit: k nvm. i went to the start-up type, and it said manual. so that's probably y it was already stopped.

edit 2: i dled the burning program u suggested, and tried burning something. i got this error message:

"Burning error occurred

An error occurred while burning the disc. Most likely the disc is not usable. Usually, these errors happen if the inserted media is not compatible to the drive or of poor quality.

(devUnknownError) Could not write to Disc (LBA: 1504 length: 32).
Unknown Error. -0x040300"

note, even though it says the inserted media is not compatible, as i stated previously, i've always been using the same disc, so why now?

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
what was your burn speed??

and can you download dvd identifier from here link

and check what media you are using from the media id header

and paste it here .... if its something like CMC magenetics then its pretty poor media so needs to be burned at a slower speed

additional please tell me what boxes are checked in the dvd identifier window just underneath where it will say your DVD BURNERS name

as in this screen shot where the green check boxes are

screenshotfullxy6.jpg

is the box labelled DVD-R checked in green if its not then maby your drive only supports +r media and not -r

da_head

A dying dream..
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i understand what your saying about poor dvds and such, but my computer still can't even read them. my burning software says there's no disc inside, and "my computer" still gives me the inaccessible function. this doesn't really have to do with the quality of the dvd does it (because the dvds used to work!)

HA. i pressed identify (which is wat i assume u gotta do)and i got an interesting result:

sirdashadow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
da_head said:
i understand what your saying about poor dvds and such, but my computer still can't even read them. my burning software says there's no disc inside, and "my computer" still gives me the inaccessible function. this doesn't really have to do with the quality of the dvd does it (because the dvds used to work!)

HA. i pressed identify (which is wat i assume u gotta do)and i got an interesting result:

one of two things are happening 1) your DVD burner is dying. How many discs have you burned? 2) you have a driver conflict. See if you can reinstall the drivers for it...

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
da_head said:

hmmm OK please check that your drives are in DMA mode look at this guide here how to check or how to set them into DMA

btw is your hd formatted FAT32 OR NTFS ??

if its FAT32 that could also be the/a problem

edit .. additional have you tried uninstalling the drive in DEVICE MANAGER and then rebooting and letting it reinstall itself
smile.gif

da_head

A dying dream..
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
sirdashadow said:
one of two things are happening 1) your DVD burner is dying. How many discs have you burned? 2) you have a driver conflict. See if you can reinstall the drivers for it...

i barely used my dvd burner. umm perhaps it is a driver conflict, but i don't know where to get the drivers...

D

Deleted User

Right Click on the Drive -> Properties -> Recording -> Check "Enable Recording on Drive"

or something to that extent. When switching to SP3 it resets your setting on that for some reason.

da_head

A dying dream..
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
kobykaan said:
hmmm OK please check that your drives are in DMA mode look at this guide here how to check or how to set them into DMA

btw is your hd formatted FAT32 OR NTFS ??

if its FAT32 that could also be the/a problem

edit .. additional have you tried uninstalling the drive in DEVICE MANAGER and then rebooting and letting it reinstall itself
smile.gif

all my drives are dma. i'm not sure how to check which way my hd is formatted. and i'm gonna try uninstalling the driver now.

da_head

A dying dream..
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
TeenDev said:
Right Click on the Drive -> Properties -> Recording -> Check "Enable Recording on Drive"

or something to that extent. When switching to SP3 it resets your setting on that for some reason.

that was one of the first things i tried. it warned me by enabling this, i can't record dvd-ram (cd only), so i undid it.

UPDATE: i reinstalled the driver. same problem
frown.gif

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
da_head said:
TeenDev said:

that was one of the first things i tried. it warned me by enabling this, i can't record dvd-ram (cd only), so i undid it.

UPDATE: i reinstalled the driver. same problem
frown.gif

know anyone that can lend you a different brand of dvd to test to rule out a bad batch of dvds?

It happens to me sometimes .. you get 2 batches of disks same brand but they turn out to have some duds in them
frown.gif

... also try a complete uninstall NERO and reinstall the latest version you can get hold of and try that
smile.gif

da_head

A dying dream..
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
k my friend's gonna give me a dvd in a few days. i'll let u guys know if it works. btw, i really appreciate all the help you guys been giving me. especially kobykaan.
it's people like you who make gbatemp awesome
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Tt5J7AfCK6E?si=g4dGzOkhACLJAovM