I beat you all: I'm the oldest GBAtemp member here... ;-)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Omero, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Omero
    OP

Omero Former Admin

Former Staff
    Oct 23, 2002
    Italy
    Milan, Italy
    I started GBAtemp with KiVan in 2002, and I was the one to setup the website and the forum once we opened the community for the first time, and the very first account to be created on this forum (funny fact: KiVan wanted me to create his account as number 1 since he was the very first one to have this idea, and Alexander as #2, since they had it together... so I ended up creating my own account only as #3 hahahaa we are all very close friends attending the same faculty and seeing each other all day every day).

I'm still lurking on a daily basis this wonderful community, and I can't help but think of how life is strange.

This started as a silly idea from KiVan to create a quickly disposable single HTML page to have the links to download the latest 10 gba roms, in order to quickly share among us and our close friends.

Now it's a community with thousands of members and a almost 15 years history behind, still kicking asses every day, thanks to the wonderful work of all the current and past staff members, and past and current admins like costello and shaunj66! :-)

In case you were wondering what the fuck I'm talking about and wanna read more, you can find the full story here: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/History_of_GBAtemp

If anyone has some questions or curiosity over the early life of GBAtemp, I'm here to answer :-)

Enjoy guys!

Last edited by Omero, Aug 3, 2015

2. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    I remember you! :D

Were you involved in GBArl too?

Margen67 likes this.
  3. Omero
    OP

Omero Former Admin

Former Staff
    Oct 23, 2002
    Italy
    Milan, Italy
    Yep I was...

Margen67, HaloEffect17 and Vipera like this.
  4. Selim873

Selim873 Nunnayobeesnes

Jul 31, 2010
    United States
    Chillin' with Bob Ross
    I vaguely remember when this was a rom site! I bumped into this site when I was in Elementary school or maybe even my first year of middle school. It was 2005 or so. It hit me when I saw the screen shot on the history wiki link. Back then, I had no idea what emulators and ROMs were, so I just brushed it aside. Though I ended up back here in 2008-2009-ish because of Wii Homebrew and this was the place to go, and I finally made my account in 2010, and now I'm back here in 2015 crazed about 3DS homebrew. Crazy. lol

HaloEffect17 likes this.
  5. Digital.One.Entity

Digital.One.Entity Banned

Banned
    Jan 19, 2015
    United States
    Right Here
    Shut up Old Man

:angry:

Seriously tho amazing work my friend I clearly remember the good ol' days of rom pages before website existed....aahhh to be young again

Now this is a place of Fan Boys,Nintendo Hate and endless threads asking about how 2 hackz 4 romz fur free

U must be proud :grog: thanks again

6. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Splatoon Fan

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    I swear I just read the History of GBATemp page yesterday! After joining for just over a month now, I really think this is a great community and the history behind it is something even more special.

Aidan25, Margen67 and VinsCool like this.
  7. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    Last activity in 2007, what's been keeping you busy all these years? :grog:

8. Omero
    OP

Omero Former Admin

Former Staff
    Oct 23, 2002
    Italy
    Milan, Italy
  9. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    Yeah i still know who you are :)
    Registered a few months after the site was up (under another nick), Also registered (and still are) on GBArl
    (I do not have any connection with Italy, but i do know a bit to understand, as i worked for several years in Switersland (Graub├╝nden (Maloja / Sankt-Moritz))

10. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Well that solves the mystery of the origin of the site's name.

11. DrCrygor07

DrCrygor07 Italian Wario Ware bootleg┬ę

Sep 4, 2014
    Italy
    Yay, W italians

12. Demifiend

Demifiend The bored one

Mar 20, 2015
    You said you created this site as a repository for gba roms, but tell me, weren't GBA roms common on the Internet? (Besides, i have to ask about the emulators, i mean, i don't think that in 2002 VBA Next or some thing like that existed, i bet that GBA emulators were much, much slower than nowadays emulators)

Last edited by Demifiend, Aug 3, 2015
  13. weiff

weiff GBAtemp Regular

Nov 18, 2006
    Oldest member on the board...

STILL HAS LESS THAN 1000 POSTS.

14. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Splatoon Fan

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    KiVan was known for uploading the GBA ROMs at incredibly fast speeds, and thus, became renowned for his efforts and made GBATemp one of the best go-to sites for GBA ROMs on the Internet at the time.

Margen67 likes this.
  15. Demifiend

Demifiend The bored one

Mar 20, 2015
    Wait, the GBA was released in 2001, How GBA emulators could've had existed at that point?, let alone roms and some flashcards designed for it (I know that the 3DS had roms since the beginning, but we didn't have any kind of hacking until Gateway appeared), damn, the scene was really fast during that point, It would be nice if they were that fast with the PSVita.

16. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    To be fair, they were simpler times. Where a sort of half decent emulator wasn't something that you only really expected five years out from release or later, and where security wasn't nearly as complex as it is now. There has been a lot of advancement in the past 14 years that actually makes it really hard to cite any kind of trends related to security breaking and emulators cropping up.

Margen67 and HaloEffect17 like this.
  17. megabug7

megabug7 Forum Relic

Feb 4, 2004
    London
    I remember the beginning - my sister (Saria) https://gbatemp.net/members/saria.340/ joined at the start before me until she left I then joined but I remember you and KiVan, Luse, Broken_by Design etc.

Good old days :)

Costello and shaunj66 like this.
  18. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    You weren't even active when "liking" posts was a thing, only 28 and 25 are from this thread :lol:

Welcome back :grog:

Margen67 likes this.
  19. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    @Omero i have one question, why did you and your other friends leaved the website to other people? what happened for you to decide to abandon the staff?

Margen67 likes this.
  20. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    They became adults. :P