I beat you all: I'm the oldest GBAtemp member here... ;-)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Omero, Aug 3, 2015.

1. puss2puss

puss2puss ♻ThinkGreen♻

Dec 18, 2013
    Canada
    Awesome thread! I love this kind of information, its a huge chunk of history for GBAtemps! :D
    ..two days ago i was talking in the shoutbox about who was the first member on GBAtemps..well, there's the answer!

You've done a good job Omero! You should change the title under your name for ''first born GBAtemper'' :P

Anyway, thank you for creating this thread, it was great to remember the history of one of the first roms site i used to go to ;)

2. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai hot death grips singles in your area

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    Alberta
    So, I must ask, what was the exact date GBATemp was created? Or published. Or whatever the correct word for it is, I can't think properly right now.

Margen67 likes this.
  3. BlackYoshi485

BlackYoshi485 Banned

Banned
    Feb 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires
    I didn't knew that GBATemp is over 15 years old! this is the oldest forum i know :3

Margen67 likes this.
  4. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    GBAtemp existed as an IRC channel before there was any website. Then there used to be a single ROM page with a guestbook and visitors started to communicate through the guestbook. After seeing all of this chat going on @KiVan decided to create a proper forum. That happened on Oct 24, 2002. I joined as member number 25 (you can see your member number in your profile link) and am the oldest active member of the site. I was friends with KiVan and other key members of the communitie's early days on IRC when all of this was just a twinkle in his eye, good times!

jDSX, DinohScene, Margen67 and 4 others like this.
  5. ferofax

ferofax End of the World

Jan 26, 2009
    Philippines
    Wow. Seeing all the oldies mentioned brought back memories... I only lurked back then, finding the site while looking for something to play on that DOS version of No$gba (before it got gimped with paid features), playing linked Ruby/Sapphire on the same computer... man, good times.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  6. Haloman800

Haloman800 a real gril

Dec 18, 2009
    United States
    First off, thanks for your part in creating this awesome site!

My question is, what are you up to nowadays :)?

7. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

Sep 17, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    XD, I used to download games for my friends and share them with them using multiple floppy disks... Good old days.
    Finding out how to get games was one of the driving forces behind me learning what I know now about ICT, as you can tell from my age I was pretty young lol.

8. EMP Knightmare

EMP Knightmare Fixing GBATemp's Feng Shui Engine (using Win XP)

May 3, 2010
    United States
    New York
    Wow, just wow. Much respect to the Grand Daddy of the Temp but even Omero must follow rules (page 2 no double posting) someone merge those post please. Lastly thank you for giving all of us a second home, I've met so many people here from all walks of life and I would never ask for a second of time back that was used here.

For current staff you know you guys are fawking awesome, just keep doin what you guys do ^_^

9. ferofax

ferofax End of the World

Jan 26, 2009
    Philippines
    hahaha, I specifically had floppy disks for specific games, and backups too!

10. EMP Knightmare

May 3, 2010
    United States
    New York
    I remember downloading roms only at night due to the connection getting cut whenever the phone rang :(

11. @lexander

@lexander Newbie

Newcomer
    May 9, 2015
    United States
    Maryland, United States
    Wow! This site sure had its share of history. I didn't really notice GBATemp until earlier this year when this forum was beginning to flood with 3DS users (And now, it kind of still is). :lol: It really has changed... Thank you members of the community for providing this awesome website for over 12 years.

drgnslayers and Margen67 like this.
  12. drgnslayers

drgnslayers GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2010
    Canada
    ah, that was the old times. still, that's something I wouldn't want those days

13. Elrinth

Elrinth :Master beyond your imagination:

Nov 6, 2002
    congratulations :) I only registered when registration was a requirement for you know what ;)

14. EMP Knightmare

May 3, 2010
    United States
    New York
    :cry: OH THE HORROR!!!!!!!:cry:

drgnslayers likes this.
  15. osirisjem

osirisjem Wii U: Y U No Sell ?

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada
    Did you guys use the iroffer IRC server bot ? Mirc client ?

Those were good times. Hacking university servers to serve movies with FlashFXP FTP. DALnet.

Last edited by osirisjem, Sep 17, 2015
  16. Disco

Disco GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2006
    Croatia
    Croatia
    Thanks for this awesome site, been here for years!

EDIT: Never knew it's made by the ''neighbours'' from Italy ;)

17. sonicrings

sonicrings GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 7, 2012
    Canada
    Johto
    Man, what an amazing thread to stumble upon! I remember when I used to look for a GBA emulator for slot 1 DS flashcards and this site kept popping up in my Google searches.. And then ichfly actually started making one, and now I think it's almost done! How time flies..

Good times...

18. xtreme_power

xtreme_power GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2003
    I've been here since the gba days

19. Guinea

Guinea .

Sep 13, 2015
    United States
    ----
    Wow 2002 lol

20. jDSX

jDSX *is a furrE*

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    New doink city
    Great site you made and the community too. I enjoy reading about how it was back then.