Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
I do enjoy my wii u games, I have 43 of them on disc (44 if you include the one in the post)

FYI Dolphin wii support came in July 13 2008, by feb 2009 it could run the wii system menu, by april 2009 it could play all commercial wii and gamecube games, with some bugs. By October 2009 it could play games damn good. In the end of its dev cycle in June 2011 it was a beast that ran it all and is the same version we use now. There have been a few bugfixes and legacy removal since but from this Ive no idea where you got half a decade from.

The Wii support was quite advanced when it was released because the Wii used the same kind of CPU and GPI as the Gamecube. You have to take into account the developpement time needed to develop GC emulation which started about a decade ago.

Wii U emulation started from scratch and no previous implementation of the CPU/GPU emulation was written before. Plus, the architecture of the Wii U is more complex requiring more work to get it working . (GC and Wii doesn't have shaders AFAIK for example)

davetheshrew

Trophies
XP
Country
The Wii support was quite advanced when it was released because the Wii used the same kind of CPU and GPI as the Gamecube. You have to take into account the developpement time needed to develop GC emulation which started about a decade ago.

Wii U emulation started from scratch and no previous implementation of the CPU/GPU emulation was written before. Plus, the architecture of the Wii U is more complex requiring more work to get it working . (GC and Wii doesn't have shaders AFAIK for example)
I understand this, it was quite a thing what they did with dolphin in such a short time, but with cemu its almost unreal how fast these guys have worked, amazing.

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sadly on the latest firmware, I'm just glad that iosu is still going to work. I just setup the DNS, now I have the x where the update would be.

Merzeal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this makes it sound like its totally fine to update to 5.5.1. He just suggests not updating past that point, correct?

That's how I read it, you're clear to move up to 5.5.1, if you absolutely most move. I wanted eShop access, and once I knew it was safe, I moved. Don't go further though, if Nintendo pushes an update. Get what you need, then put Tubehax up immediately.

avinashlego

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I'm unable to go online on Splatoon ever since I set up TubeHax DNS. It says I have to download the latest news data and then I try to do that and it gives me an error. Is this because of TubeHax?

Harmonia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys, I'm unable to go online on Splatoon ever since I set up TubeHax DNS. It says I have to download the latest news data and then I try to do that and it gives me an error. Is this because of TubeHax?

Yes. TubeHax blocks all updates, firmware and game ones. You're gonna have to disable TubeHax to update Splatoon and play online. Hopefully you're already on 5.5.1, otherwise you'll have to update to that as well.

Reactions: josh87402

Agent Moose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason is because Tubehax blocks all Nintendo Servers so that your Wii U doesn't get updated when a new one comes out, so that it doesn't block any exploits.

I would recommend you keep it on so that your Wii U doesn't automatically dowload updates. Yes, you can't go online but if I think it is worth it because eventually you will be able to go online once again.

Sylen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The reason is because Tubehax blocks all Nintendo Servers so that your Wii U doesn't get updated when a new one comes out, so that it doesn't block any exploits.

I would recommend you keep it on so that your Wii U doesn't automatically dowload updates. Yes, you can't go online but if I think it is worth it because eventually you will be able to go online once again.

When? I really don't feel like losing access to Splatoon.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
When? I really don't feel like losing access to Splatoon.
If you want the exploit, you're going to have to sit tight and tolerate no internet connection for a while. This has always been the case with exploited console.

Reactions: Fjar

Fjar

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Unless you have a 5.3.2 or 5.4.0 console you will have to wait to play online.

RareKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It entirely depends on your situation. If you have a static IP address/have the OpenDNS Updater installed on a computer that is on 24/7 then it shouldn't be an issue, but if you have a dynamic IP address with no protection against failure then you're going to want to switch ASAP

Protection? I just use open DNS on browser and block the updates and connect wii u to router. And changing dns settings on wii u

Bkool999

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What firmware are you on? I'm on 5.5.0, and I can play Splatoon online.

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, I agree that people should stay on 5.5 (never update!) but I was more aiming at the speculation relating to wether or not Ninty have done something to the browser in 5.5.1 nobody knows, but as you say, stay on 5.5 and wait it out :)
I don't understand why people can't just leave online aside for a while. It may sound like paranoia but what if Nintendo did set up a Dead Hand on the latest Browser, and it is sitting there just waiting for some time to pass or for some certain date before it starts calling back home after having gathered a lot of newly updated consoles from unaware users? If another update comes, they would get screwed by a simple http request while they are online.
It sounds too good to be true that after so much time after they patched the 3DS Browser they still release an incomplete patch for the Wii U and are yet to add such feature.

The general rule is still to not update unless devs tell us to, so better be safe than sorry. (and i bet almost half of this thread replies are already people being sorry
sm7_facepalm.gif
)

Last edited by Pachee,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The people who take risks by playing Mario Kart and Splatoon online are the same people who get upset when their consoles update without their knowledge. Why do you even have an internet connection set up on your console? Take every precaution you can because another IOSU exploit probably won't come along for a long time. Wait until the IOSU exploit comes and people can implement some kind fo firmware/kernel spoofing, maybe even EmuNAND eventually etc.

Sylen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, so I've been waiting on my lego batman to arrive via mail. If I update to 5.5.1 before I install homebrew, what exactly am I locking myself out of?

My main reasons for wanting homebrew are just to play all the old Gamecube and Wii games that I missed out on(like rouge squadron). Appreciate any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto