HTC Vive Price Announced: $799

The HTC Vive, Valve and HTC's own entry into the VR world, has officially been priced and it's not cheap. The Consumer Edition will cost a whopping $799, a whole ~$200 more than the Oculus Rift, however when buying the Vive you'll also receive two of their motion controllers.

Pre-orders for the VR headset will start on February 29th, and is expected to ship and sell commercially in April 2016. The Vive comes with the headset, the room sensor, and two controllers, and for a limited time if you purchase the HTC Vive you'll receive two games; Job Simulator and Fantastic Contraption.

:arrow: Source

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This kinda reminds me of The Matrix. So it's finally starting to happen and all people will be connected to machines?.. O.o
Sorry for the erm... not very nice comment, but people have been connected to machines since several decades ago.
Dialysis_-_arm_-_01_570.jpg

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If I had money like that lying around I'd rather just buy an ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q instead. To me it seems like a much more worthwhile investment rather than something I'm not even sure I'll be able to use (3D hates me).

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Anybody with a decent-paying job should be getting a tax return of $2000+ right about now. $800 isn't bad, and with the Touch controllers the Rift will be about the same price. Now I just need to decide which to buy.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If I could buy it, probably not the HTC one. Just too much. VR, cool. Motion Controls, cool. Cameras around the room? Too much.
They aren't cameras, they shoot low-powered lasers which are captured by the headset and controllers, and the headset transmits the tracking data. The Oculus Rift's tracking sensor is more akin to a camera, but it doesn't track raw image data.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They aren't cameras, they shoot low-powered lasers which are captured by the headset and controllers, and the headset transmits the tracking data. The Oculus Rift's tracking sensor is more akin to a camera, but it doesn't track raw image data.
Didn't realize Oculus had a separated device for the sensor. Seem to be just one thing. Anyway , my main point is that I don't want to put and have things that have to put around the room. That comment wasn't about cameras specifically.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh, just wait a few years. There will be a more affordable version that will probably be better than the current options. That's how new tech usually goes. Right now it's still enthusiast hardware.

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh ok this is sad, the Vive costs 899€ plus 60,69€ shipping for Germany. For US ppl its only 758€ by the way.
While i know vat is added i cant see why they didnt do the orders and shipping from Germany instead of Ireland. Germany has only 19% Vat instead of 21% of Ireland and shipping to EU Countrys is way cheaper.

The only conclusion for me is, that HTC wants to save tax later.

I think 800€ is already a lot money and i also woul have agreed to pay 900€ incl. shipping, but 960€ is not a price i want to pay.

So HTC keep your VR set.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Didn't realize Oculus had a separated device for the sensor. Seem to be just one thing. Anyway , my main point is that I don't want to put and have things that have to put around the room. That comment wasn't about cameras specifically.
Eh, if you have a decent audio setup you already have things to put around the room anyway.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Oh ok this is sad, the Vive costs 899€ plus 60,69€ shipping for Germany. For US ppl its only 758€ by the way.
While i know vat is added i cant see why they didnt do the orders and shipping from Germany instead of Ireland. Germany has only 19% Vat instead of 21% of Ireland and shipping to EU Countrys is way cheaper.

The only conclusion for me is, that HTC wants to save tax later.

I think 800€ is already a lot money and i also woul have agreed to pay 900€ incl. shipping, but 960€ is not a price i want to pay.

So HTC keep your VR set.
Chances are Ireland is where their manufacturing warehouse is. Just wait for the HMDs to hit retail shelves if shipping is costing too much.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Have you actually used any of the modern VR or even VR in general? I haven't, but I'm sure it is more than "neck motion controls".

Not saying this isn't expensive even with all the extra stuff, because wow, it is, but you are down playing VR a bit to much.
I think most people going to have to stick with Phone VR until the prices come down.

I used to own a Philips SCUBA VR Headset, it costed around €300/€400 (depending if you wanted the extra thingy with it)
The dizzyness and headaches came free with it :D

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the same boat. I'm sure first batch will be pretty large for the Vive. See you in Hover Junkers and the like! :lol:

Hello Devin,

I just reviewed your order's information and I'm happy to inform you that you are part of the initial batch which will ship out on April 5th. Please let me know if you have further questions and I will be glad to answer them for you.

We're good. :yay:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: hot take: freddy fazbear's pizzeria simulator is peak fnaf