Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
viveresize.JPG

HI all, following on from our HTC Vice Cosmos Elite review last year, HTC have been kind enough to give us a lend of another piece of cutting edge tech to play with! The HTC Vive Pro 2 is HTC's latest offering in the VR space. And boy, colour me impressed. As great as the Cosmos Elite is the HTC Vive Pro 2 improves on things with a super crisp 2160x1200 pixel 5K display and a wide 120 degree field of view. All of this is combined with a 120Hz refresh rate to keep everything looking buttery smooth and fluid. I have dabbled in VR for a long time now, from Nintendo's virtual boy, google cardboard, PSVR, Oculus Rifts and HTCs offerings. I have had my fair share of good and bad experiences, from being totally immersed in an experience to being bent over and sick feeling after 5 minutes of play (thanks a lot Driveclub PSVR!)!

But nothing has matched the experiences I have had with the Vive Pro 2. It really is a special piece of kit! This is truly the first headset I have used with absolutely no screen door effect. Along with the super wide field of view and fluidity of the refresh rate even old experiences popped in a way I have not experienced before. If you want to know more about my experiences with the Pro 2 keep your eyes peeled for my full review coming soon. And in the meantime if you want to find out more hop over to HTC's site to check out the Vive Pro 2 and all their other VR offerings.

:arrow: HTC Vive Pro 2

Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
This is... a bit of a weird headset
Now, the Cosmos was just bad in my opinion. The RGB tracking... there's a reason no one will ever use it in their headset again.
This Vive Pro 2 however- it's a very good headset on its own. But given the circumstances, it is actually a very strange release. People were expecting a Valve Index 2- and what did they do? They released this... for an even higher price than the Index... with the original Vive wands (which are just bad compared to today's standards).
They cut corners in some of the absolute weirdest places for this headset.

This is a great headset (besides the price), but it will forever stay a part of the "Virtual Oddities" collection in my opinion
By the way if you get this, I'd highly suggest getting the wireless attachment

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

HI all, following on from our HTC Vice Cosmos Elite review last year, HTC have been kind enough to give us a lend of another piece of cutting edge tech to play with! The HTC Vive Pro 2 is HTC's latest offering in the VR space. And boy, colour me impressed. As great as the Cosmos Elite is the HTC Vive Pro 2 improves on things with a super crisp 2160x1200 pixel 5K display and a wide 120 degree field of view. All of this is combined with a 120Hz refresh rate to keep everything looking buttery smooth and fluid. I have dabbled in VR for a long time now, from Nintendo's virtual boy, google cardboard, PSVR, Oculus Rifts and HTCs offerings. I have had my fair share of good and bad experiences, from being totally immersed in an experience to being bent over and sick feeling after 5 minutes of play (thanks a lot Driveclub PSVR!)!

But nothing has matched the experiences I have had with the Vive Pro 2. It really is a special piece of kit! This is truly the first headset I have used with absolutely no screen door effect. Along with the super wide field of view and fluidity of the refresh rate even old experiences popped in a way I have not experienced before. If you want to know more about my experiences with the Pro 2 keep your eyes peeled for my full review coming soon. And in the meantime if you want to find out more hop over to HTC's site to check out the Vive Pro 2 and all their other VR offerings.

:arrow: HTC Vive Pro 2
You got the resolution wrong there. 2160x1200 wouldn't be impressive at all, considering the HP Reverb G2 is 2160x2160. The Vive Pro 2 has 2448×2448 screens.

This is... a bit of a weird headset
Now, the Cosmos was just bad in my opinion. The RGB tracking... there's a reason no one will ever use it in their headset again.
This Vive Pro 2 however- it's a very good headset on its own. But given the circumstances, it is actually a very strange release. People were expecting a Valve Index 2- and what did they do? They released this... for an even higher price than the Index... with the original Vive wands (which are just bad compared to today's standards).
They cut corners in some of the absolute weirdest places for this headset.

This is a great headset (besides the price), but it will forever stay a part of the "Virtual Oddities" collection in my opinion
By the way if you get this, I'd highly suggest getting the wireless attachment
Their reasoning is that many have invested in the SteamVR ecosystem already and have lighthouses and Index controllers, which they can reuse with the Vive Pro 2. HTC didn't want to invest in designing new controllers to compete with the Index controllers. They're not expecting anyone to buy the bundle with Vive wands, but the option is there.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I test drove one of these guys and no complaints, it's a beautiful headset that I ended up returning.

I can't justify the price of what is a $1500 investment for me after trackers, controllers, wireless kit (which I consider a must) and comfort peripherals for what amounts to current gen tech.

Is it superior to the Quest 2 at $299, absolutely. Is it $1200 superior? no.

I have no problem dropping over a grand on good VR and probably will in the future but I decided to hold out for the next iteration of headsets, built in wireless for one thing. I like "active" games and it's just a matter of time before you rip your cable out if your playing with a tether.

RIP Samsung Odyssey+ slain by beat saber so soon after birth it was still returnable.

Last edited by jimbo13,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over