1. 1,658

Front-page
    dsadsadasd.png

HTC is putting out two new VR headsets, one of which is a successor to the Vive Pro. Revealed today were the Vive Pro 2 and the Vive Focus 3, with the former acting as HTC's flashship gaming VR headset and the latter serving its purpose as a business-focused VR device. The Vive Pro 2 sees some major refreshes and improvements from the original, such as a 5K resolution, along with 120Hz, and is backwards compatible with previous hardware. This includes the Base Station 1.0 or 2.0 sensors, or the Valve Index's and original Vive's controllers. It'll be launching on June 4th, though you can pre-order it today for $799.

Meanwhile, the Vive Focus 3 is a $1.300 device that has 5K resolution as well, though the refresh rate is 90Hz. It also benefits from a two-hour wireless battery life, uses a Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2, is said to be more comfortable than the previous Focus headsets, and uses a 120-degree FOV. The Focus 3 is set to act as a competitor to Oculus's Quest 2 VR headset.

:arrow: Source

Xzi, ggl0l, Mama Looigi and 3 others like this.
  2. Discussion (16 replies)

3. AlanJohn

AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    Am I reading this correctly?
    How exactly is a $1300 device going to compete with a $300 one?

4. kenenthk

kenenthk Village Idiot

Burkina Faso
  5. Alosho

Alosho Member

Mexico
    Taking into account the recent leaks, PSVR 2 is starting to look more and more interesting. More so if it ends up going for 400 USD.

Moon164 likes this.
  6. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    For the hardcore who care more about the 5k resolution, I guess?

With these announcements I do have to wonder.. Has HTC learned anything? I hope the Pro 2 is of a higher quality standard than its predecessor. The Focus 3 has me kind of confused.. Is it announced specifically as a competitor to the Quest 2? If so, I feel it already loses at that price point. I'll have to read more into it and see what it offers over its competition. A 5k resolution isn't enough to justify the price tag. Especially at over 4x the MSRP of the 64GB Quest 2.

Edit: Nevermind. The focus is specifically touted for the business class and isn't meant to compete with the Quest 2 for consumers. The 120 degree FOV sounds pretty nice, though.

Second Edit: More importantly.. The Pro 2 will hit at $1400 for the entire package? IS THAT RIGHT!?

Edit number threesie: Oh.. I'm dumb. Both headsets are marketed toward the professional and high end of the spectrum. That should have been obvious... WHOOPS

Still.. Given everything I've read. I don't trust HTC as far as I can throw them for their overall quality of products. We'll see, I guess. Still.. 120 FOV... UGH!

Last edited by Memoir, May 11, 2021
  7. Orangy57

Orangy57 bruh

United States
    they HAVE to be trolling, they're still selling the regular vive wands with this 5 years later?

I'm interested in the Focus with the 120 degree FoV tho, but 25 bucks says that they'll be using the mediocre cosmos controller tracking considering that HTC seems to be doing the absolute bare minimum as of late

Last edited by Orangy57, May 11, 2021
    shaunj66 likes this.
  8. SkittleDash

SkittleDash GBANep

Japan
    Sony: Our second VR headset will have 4K!

HTC: Hold my beer.

9. gudenau

gudenau Largely ignored

United States
    I'm stupid.

Would be great if the wireless supported the high refresh rate mode.

Anyone know if these lighthouses work with the Index controllers? It still uses the wands, which is disappointing.

Last edited by gudenau, May 11, 2021
  10. SexiestManAlive

SexiestManAlive The key that lights the dark

United States
    and eye tracking, which quest 3 will have, quest 3 will be 8k with 144hz a graphics chip compareable to the 3080 and will be able to run windows, at the price of your soul :tpi:

11. Purple_Shyguy

Purple_Shyguy GBAtemp Maniac

How much is a pc that can run the games at 2440p split, 120fps?

12. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Depends what game you want to play

13. lokomelo

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Brazil
    it is unbottlenecked 3090 territory. Don't even bother researching how much it costs because by tomorrow the prices will be already dated with all this scalping craze.

14. kevin corms

kevin corms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Will these ever really be mainstream? It seems most people don't really like isolating themselves. The software side of things holds me back, I only really want to play half life alyx.

Last edited by kevin corms, May 11, 2021
  15. BlastedGuy9905

BlastedGuy9905 where's the updated autopsy report

United States
    Get an Oculus Quest 2 if you feel like you don't care about the Facebook thing. It has the most features and has the best value overall. Get an Oculus Rift if you don't mind that you're buying a discontinued product. Get an original Vive headset if you don't care about the controllers maybe not being the best. All of the above will get you a solid HL:A experience (around 300 bucks for each, maybe less for the Rift and Vive used). You could also try some Windows Mixed Reality headsets but I don't know much about those.

kevin corms likes this.
  16. Duo8

Duo8 GBAtemp Psycho!

Vietnam
    Quest also has a business version that costs more.

17. ZeroFX

ZeroFX Eh. What?

Japan
    Looks good, maybe some day i'll buy one of these.

18. Obveron

Obveron GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Very disappointed that it isn't using an oled display.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - resolution, announced, features