HTC Vive Price Announced: $799

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Tom Bombadildo, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot

The HTC Vive, Valve and HTC's own entry into the VR world, has officially been priced and it's not cheap. The Consumer Edition will cost a whopping $799, a whole ~$200 more than the Oculus Rift, however when buying the Vive you'll also receive two of their motion controllers.

Pre-orders for the VR headset will start on February 29th, and is expected to ship and sell commercially in April 2016. The Vive comes with the headset, the room sensor, and two controllers, and for a limited time if you purchase the HTC Vive you'll receive two games; Job Simulator and Fantastic Contraption.

:arrow: Source

2. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    What other editions other than the Consumer Edition are there?

Edit: Also, dat price :wtf:

Last edited by WiiUBricker, Feb 22, 2016
  3. MionissNio

MionissNio GBAtemp Regular

Jul 4, 2012
    Anyone wanna buy a kidney? Cause I don't seem to own money for the rig and the device.

Besides sarcasm I was already aware that first gen vr will be expensive to own tho.

Digs the trash to find a piece of cardboard...

nxwing and T-hug like this.
  4. fafaffy

fafaffy GBAtemp Fan

Sep 1, 2012
    United States
    I really want this and the first batch comes out early April. second (from what I heard) is July... I won't have the money by a weeks time (when pre-orders come up) but July is a bit too far... I guarantee they'll be sold out within the hour...
    Damn, decisions. Could always go credit card route but...

Damn financial responsibilities

5. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    more like damn shitty jobs and no savings -.-

6. Steena

Steena GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 13, 2009
    Italy
    It's new consumer technology, easily the biggest tech advancement ever since the implementation of polygons. And it also happens to require much higher specs.
    Early adoption will cost money. You shouldn't expect to own new tech at day-one as a casual/occasional consumer, nor want to, to be honest.

Wait until VR becomes mainstream and these will drop to $200. If you aren't a super-duper enthusiast, don't even bother considering one. You'll blow $800 to play a very limited choice of games with unoptimized settings for a few hours. VR game design is also essentially non-existing right now, we don't even know how to make good VR games for most genres. Why would you want one right now unless you were filthy rich.

People do impulse buying too much these days.

chartube12 likes this.
  7. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    Ridiculous price and useless. NAH! Its worthless as well!

Nirmonculus and Bladexdsl like this.
  8. fafaffy

fafaffy GBAtemp Fan

Sep 1, 2012
    United States
    Mainly because a lot of us are computer enthusiasts.

Yes bang for buck is low, but without us enthusiasts, technology advancements such as these would practically non existent since there's no market to sell to.

We tend to purchase new technology because it's our hobby and what we enjoy spending money on. And due to us, companies are able to take risks in starting a new advancement or trend and eventually bring down the price.

9. DSAndi

DSAndi GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2008
    Gambia, The
    The Vive offers much more then the Rift.
    As for Games i dont really care, i would use the Vive for Elite Dangerous only.
    That is actually a game i put a lot time in already and still love to play it.

10. Haymose

Haymose GBAtemp Fan

Mar 24, 2014
    United States
    It launches with a game called Job Simulator. Nobody is going to take VR serious. Fuck the developer of that game, a $700 headset just for some more memes.

nxwing and tbb043 like this.
  11. Ericzander

Ericzander I used hax to get yellow name

pip Reporter
    Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    Grand Line
    While I think early adopters for video games are silly, I love the fact that there are price insensitive customers who will buy things like the Vive and Rift regardless of the price at the start. If it weren't for these rich SOB's, the rest of us wouldn't have the luxury of being able to wait for a price cut or the used market to come into play.

That said, I'm most likely skipping the first generation of VR (unless PSVR becomes affordable and worth it in the future). I don't really see the appeal to it just yet. I know there's potential and I know it's probably the future... But the future can wait a few years for me.

Edit: On another note, I'm pretty trypophobic so those pods on the Vive are creepy to me. Stay away from me, technology of Satan!

frogboy likes this.
  12. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Hoooooly shit, that price is fucking ridiculous. Who honestly thought among HTC execs that pricing something at $800 would get it to sell? It's just confirming the stereotype of net technology being expensive as fuck and VR being an expensive gimmick.

Not that I expect a VR headset this early to be cheap, but goddamn, at least sell it for $500 max.

Last edited by endoverend, Feb 22, 2016
  13. samljer

samljer GBAtemp Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    Canada
    Whelp... 2 down, 1 to go...
    Unless PS VR comes in at a sane price, first generation isnt for me...
    $800 US... thats like... straight ridic...

Its not like i cant run it... i have a 3770/980/ssd/16gb etc.... but that runs everything i love..

I have yet to see anything on VR that makes me say "OMG I MUST"
    at the end of the day, its about the games and experiences.

I hope the price entries dont cripple this like it did 3D.

By the time 3D was affordable, nobody wanted to develop on it.

14. DKB

DKB FUCK OFF

May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    I think they forgot the part:

"799$ + A blowjob by everyone who developed it."

But, fuck it. It'll drop in price in the coming years, hell, OLED and 3D TV's cost nothing compared to when they first came out, so, just wait. It'll drop in price.

Last edited by DKB, Feb 22, 2016
  15. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    1st 3d than motion/touch controls now the VR gimmick era begins!

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Feb 22, 2016
  16. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    And people thought the oculus was too expensive.
    Early adoptions sucks anyway. Wake me up when the prices drop.

17. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    I still don't see the draw of VR. Visuals of video games have been enhanced for years and years; it's not the visual believability that breaks the illusion of a virtual world in the games of today, it's the lack of physical feedback. I don't see why I would ever want to pay a cent to essentially have the right analogue controls of a game rigged to my neck, much less 800 bloody dollars. All it would get me is a stiff neck and nostalgia for the days of simply tilting a thumb to look around. Even if you did love the idea of neck/head based motion controls, what would this device really afford you by way of gameplay? Nothing new, as far as I can see. Looking around is as old as 3D games.

Last edited by Meteor7, Feb 22, 2016
    tbb043 likes this.
  18. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    It's pretty great for emulating a cinema. Also people who can't shut up about immersion in games probably jizz every time there are VR news.

19. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    I just dropped $1500 on my video processing/gaming rig, and I can run VR (i7 6700k, GTX 970, 32GB ddr4, etc.). I can't see spending 1/2 that just for one function.

Last edited by hundshamer, Feb 22, 2016 - Reason: grammar
    tbb043 and endoverend like this.
  20. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Have you actually used any of the modern VR or even VR in general? I haven't, but I'm sure it is more than "neck motion controls".

Not saying this isn't expensive even with all the extra stuff, because wow, it is, but you are down playing VR a bit to much.
    I think most people going to have to stick with Phone VR until the prices come down.