ByJustAsix
OP
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
So I was sitting here and Bakugan came on and the 1st thing I noticed was the horrible voice acting. Then I realized that English voice actors (even in more serious anime) don't have that same feeling that Japanese actors have.

For instance
I've seen all of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, subbed, on youtube/through downloads and I'm also watching the dubbed ones on Adult Swim. Now the scene when Mustang was crying at Hughes grave was a pretty emotional scene. Seeing such an emotional scene with both Japanese and English voice actors I was able to make a good comparison....The English voice actor just didn't do the scene any justice when put up against the Japanese voice actors.

So my question is how do you prefer your anime and do you have comparisons like the one I made with FMAB? Let's share.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Normally subbed, unless the Anime is something like DBZ which has horrible Japanese voice actors or Excel Saga where the main character talks so fast it would be impossible to read any of the subs.

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
I agree, i think the majority of dubbed anime sounds awful.

I bought the Azumanga Daioh dvd box set and by accident i played the settings in English and Osaka san's voice is ridiculous...all the humour is lost in anime like that. The cutesy, over the top voices are much more compelling!

Also, this may be biased but i think it's because Japanese sounds more epic! and the voices are better chosen for the characters...seeing as Japanese is usually the original language of anime's.

SUBBED - FTW

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
OP
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
boombox said:
I agree, i think the majority of dubbed anime sounds awful.

I bought the Azumanga Daioh dvd box set and by accident i played the settings in English and Osaka san's voice is ridiculous...all the humour is lost in anime like that. The cutesy, over the top voices are much more compelling!

Also, this may be biased but i think it's because Japanese sounds more epic! and the voices are better chosen for the characters...seeing as Japanese is usually the original language of anime's.

SUBBED - FTW

Totally agree...I love the Japanese language with a passion (which is why I must learn it).

suppachipmunk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
While I do agree that Subbed is better for most anime, I always enjoy dubbed anime more because I have to focus less on the words written to the bottom of the screen.

That's not to say that dubbed is better, just better for me because I like to focus on the details, colors, etc that are presented in the anime. I guess I can deal with the mediocre voice acting in exchange for not having to read and being able to focus on the details that were put into the anime.

@JinTrigger... Agreed, FMBH is better subbed.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
OP
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
suppachipmunk said:
While I do agree that Subbed is better for most anime, I always enjoy dubbed anime more because I have to focus less on the words written to the bottom of the screen.

That's not to say that dubbed is better, just better for me because I like to focus on the details, colors, etc that are presented in the anime. I guess I can deal with the mediocre voice acting in exchange for not having to read and being able to focus on the details that were put into the anime.

@JinTrigger... Agreed, FMBH is better subbed.

Yeah I have many friends that are like that, but in my case you get use to reading words at the bottom of the screen without having to focus on it over what's actually going on (if that made sense
tongue.gif
)

Raven1992

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Definitely subbed. It just sounds so horrible in English. Like the user above, Azumanga. Oh God. On holiday my brothers girlfriend started watching it on her laptop in the caravan.. dubbed... I felt like stabbing her. It was so friggen grating. I put in earphones and drowned it out with loud as music, and then the half a second between songs got to me too much so i left the caravan..

And then she put in .hack. Dear god. I actually might have considered at least TRYING it. But once I heard her watch it.. dubbed.. I ran for the hills. (or, more so, the beach)

But yeah, subbed most of the time. Only exceptions are Trigun and DBZ. DBZ - because I grew up with it, and I actually LIKE Vegeta's voice. Trigun, because my FRIEND grew up with it and told me to watch it so I watched it dubbed (And i felt the dorky ass voices went along with the joviality of it all). And sometimes I watch Hellsing subbed or dubbed, because I don't think the voice actors are too bad (annnd i like some of their voices :3)

Hachibei

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Subbed for the most part. The only time I'd want a dub is if the property originated in North America.

For instance, I tried watching that Wolverine anime subbed. I just couldn't watch it. The guy playing Wolverine sounded so different from what I was used to.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Depends. If it's something that's insanely fast (like Excel Saga) I'd opt for dubbed just so I'm not having to constantly pause just to read the sub fast enough to keep up with all the things that girl says... but with normal anime that's not a problem.

I'm aware that most english voice acting sucks, but what most english people don't know is that most japanese voice acting sucks, too. Y'all just can't understand it so you don't know how bad it sucks.
tongue.gif

Most anime voice acting is fine for me, but for particularly-terrible things I'll opt for subbed.

Cuelhu

GBATemp's Pepelatz Driver
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I prefer them subbed, but sometimes watch dubbed anime only for the nostalgia. :3

The original of everything is always better, since it is what it was planned to be. Dubs always change something, or make someone looks different in personality, for example. And I love Goku's original voice.

Rubedo

Aikawa is OLEV
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I hate when people are like "ALL DUBZ R SHIT OMGZWTFLOL!"
Generally, I prefer dubs, but only if it's a GOOD dub. So I'd definitely watch something like Cowboy Bebop or Ouran dubbed over the sub because the dub quality is so good.
This doesn't mean however that I will always watch a dub, because if the dub sucks, I'll just watch the sub and I have no problem with that.
Plus many of the shows I've watched haven't been dubbed. At least not when I watched them.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
How would I like my anime?

99% of the time I want it raw or subbed (whichever I can get my hands on first), although there are a few dubs that I do like (A lot of Dengeki G anime are good dubbed)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: anyone