Hacking how would someone find the checksum in a save file?

MRG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Running a game (WWE '12) via emulated NAND, accessed the save, edited a few things to my liking (name changes, NPC unlocks, etc) and I can't seem to get the game to accept the save, comes up as damaged, obviously because of a checksum, but the problem is..there seems to be no checksum in the header of the save.dat file, any idea as to how to find it/bypass the "damage"?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
create a couple saves with very little changed. like adjust the volume or something small in the game. then compare your saves with a hex editor and look for a u32 that has changed drastically. once you got that, load the game up with a usb gecko/dolphin and set a read breakpoint at that point of your save. then you can catch the game computing the checksum. and then you can see the offsets and whatnot it uses.

MRG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found one byte that changes constantly, but everytime I change it on my edited save, it still says damaged, hmm..also, how do I set a read breakpoint in Dolphin, I'm assuming I might need another build or something?

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit shortcut to dolphin:

Target: "C:\Program Files\Dolphin-win-x64-r7719\Dolphin.exe" -d

Note: This seems to slow things down a lot. Make sure to disable "options -> boot to pause".

I would also like to know how to set a read breakpoint on a save. (Actually, on a GameCube save.)

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wrote a little app to find & fix the checksums and whatnot. http://www.multiupload.com/FL9U6LO99M . I only have a minimal save with a single custom character and i found 3 checksums. there are 6 references to their checksum function, and only 3 of those compare the result. so i assume i got them all.
im using the pal copy of the game. so it may or may not work on the usa version.

funny story... this game misbehaves when you give it a long name for your custom character :) .

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i wrote a little app to find & fix the checksums and whatnot. http://www.multiupload.com/FL9U6LO99M . I only have a minimal save with a single custom character and i found 3 checksums. there are 6 references to their checksum function, and only 3 of those compare the result. so i assume i got them all.
im using the pal copy of the game. so it may or may not work on the usa version.

funny story... this game misbehaves when you give it a long name for your custom character :) .
misbehaves exploitably?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
possibly. i honestly didnt look into it very far. i only fed it a long name and got it to crash. IDK if it is because of a buffer overflow or because the long name caused some out-of-index-array shit or anything else.

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found one byte that changes constantly, but everytime I change it on my edited save, it still says damaged, hmm..also, how do I set a read breakpoint in Dolphin, I'm assuming I might need another build or something?

Does anyone know how to do this?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I usually use the usb gecko. But I went ahead and went through the steps to do this with dolphin. It turns out you need the debugfast build, which shuffle was a great help with. The regular build can set execute breakpoints, but not ram read/write ones. Anyways, after building dolphin with the debugfast stuff, heres how I did it.

Open up the save file and change a byte in it to force a corruption.

wwe0.png

Start dolphin with the "-d" option for debugging. Go to the "view" menu and enable the memory, breakpoints, ect. Then start the game and let it run up to the point where it says the save is broken

wwe1.png

Find some data in you save that is not likely to be in the RAM outside your save. My character's name is Pune, so I used that.

wwe2.png

Dig through the RAM in dolphin and eventually you end up with this section. It looks like a section right in the middle of the save file.
wwe3.png

Go to the breakpoint tab, and click the "+MC". Then enter the memory range where the save was, select "read", and select "break".
wwe5.png

Now restart the game. Let it run till it hits the breakpoint and freezes.

wwe6.png

Hop to this instruction in your favorite disassembler. It looks like this is our bitch. r3 is the pointer to memory, r4 is the length. The "mr %r3 %r6" near the end means that r6 will be the return value See all those "lbz"? Those are reading 1 byte at a time, and adding it to r6. So there is their kindergarden checksum.
wwe7.png

If youre in IDA, right click the function and chart the xrefs. These are the 6 functions that are calling the checksum. The first 3 here never check the
result, they only compute it. The last 3 of them actually check the result and compare the result.
wwe8.png

This is the first one I looked at. There is a magic word or whatever stored right before the checksum that must match a handcoded value. They
load the location of the section of the save they want to check and a length, save the current checksum in r31, and set the one in the save file to 0.
then calculate the thing. And then store the old value back in the save and compare the expected and actual results. It sets r3 to 0 for failure and
1 for success.
wwe9.png

the other 2 calls to the checksum function we care about are very similar. they are varying the length and location, as well as some magic word
stored directly ahead of the sum.
wwe10.png

wwe11.png

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as per request in pm, heres a working link with the checksum fixer. http://www.mediafire.com/?vj1w59vsz6dg5f9

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Might work might not I don't know