Hacking [HOW-TO] Use Scene Dumps with GW 2.2 Online

redkeyboard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3ds just crashed from sleep mode, is it me or is 2.2 less stable?

Anyway logging in right now, do you want to add each other and see if we can end up in the same lobby?

zb123

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Checked rom_tool. Patching the header changes the "CardDeviceReserved1" under "Dev Card Info Header".

I think you should update the OP to reflect the fact that using newer headers on older games works as well as using headers from larger games to smaller games. Somebody else would need to test the other way around. As it stands the OP is incorrect.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
nice stuff, i thought something like this might be possible, cool :) and people saying about nintendo not being able to ban people online, well, their online system is better than before (wii/ds), i'm sure they track more data than before, and banning has to start sometime right. just because something has not really happened before, does not mean it won't in the future... be real.
but still, let's hope nintendo doesn't do anything :)

Oxybelis

Trophies
XP
Country
What makes you think that they can do something that they've never done before and have shown no signs of being able to do? That's complete speculation at this point and after the online security bombs that were the Wii and the DS/i lines I think this can be put into question. If ID's are exchangable between completely different games then there are three possible scenarios - there is no whitelist of ID's for given games in existence or such a whitelist exists but was not implemented yet or the systems or cards are flagged for a banwave at a later date, meaning they'll go with the blacklist route instead. At this point in time any of those scenarios is possible.
They likely use ranges of serials for game releases and can check on server mismatch.

Cybore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its pretty great this works, but this seems to be risky to me without knowing what kinds of checks are in place, if any at all. I have a few retail games that I could extract headers from and would like to dry with scene dumps, but I wish we had someone that could tell us a bit more about playing online via this method.

Dumping from a borrowed cart seems a lot safer though not as convenient. If big N can really check for users using the same headers for the same game, I could only potentially see them to start banning people that play a large number of games with headers used by everyone. I just don't see them going and banning a few users using the same copy unless there were checks that clearly allowed them to tell who is using the original copy.

As far as I know Nintendo doesn't have a history for banning people, so perhaps going online with flashcarts and scene releases will be the standard in the future.

nervx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the easiest solution is to buy a game that uses the largest card size, smash will likely be one of them, then copy that header to your roms. that way you know for sure yours is unique and there will only be one game using that header online at any time.

that said do we know if the headers are truly unique and not based on game version, region, etc?

zb123

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the easiest solution is to buy a game that uses the largest card size, smash will likely be one of them, then copy that header to your roms. that way you know for sure yours is unique and there will only be one game using that header online at any time.

that said do we know if the headers are truly unique and not based on game version, region, etc?

So far we at least know they are not based on region or SDK.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.