Tutorial  Updated

How to use a GBA as a controller for Wii U!

This tutorial is based on sections of tutorials listed below.
https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers/gamecube/cmios
https://gbatemp.net/threads/gameboy-advance-original-sp-micro-as-gamecube-controller-for-wii.435282/
https://sdremix.com/installation/gamecube-installation/running-gcn-homebrew/
This requires a Wii U + Gamecube Adapter, and a Wii with Gamecube Ports or a Gamecube capable of running Homebrew!
You'll need to follow these steps each time you want to play using the GBA!
1. Extract the ZIP located at the bottom of this post to the root of your SD Card.
2. Obtain the latest MIOS version using NUS Downloader (the steps are located at the top of the first link).
3. Place the MIOS wad renamed to "RVL-mios-v10.wad" on the root of the SD Card.
4. Remove the SD Card from your computer, and place it into the Wii.
5. Go to Homebrew Channel and launch "Installer for WiiGator's cMIOS."
6. Set the install IOS to IOS 249 and Press A.
7. Press the button it tells you when it pops up.
8. Press the A button for the remaining menus.
9. Launch WiiXplorer and navigate to the SD Card.
10. Click on gbi.dol and select GC Homebrew.
11. Connect your GBA to any port using the Link Cable.
12. Turn the GBA on without a Game in the slot, and wait for the screen to turn blank.
13. Press buttons on the DPad, If the values on the screen change, then that means it worked. If the values don't change, try plugging it into another port.
2. Enter Homebrew through your preferred method.
3. Launch gbi.dol.
4. Connect your GBA to any port using the Link Cable.
5. Turn the GBA on without a Game in the slot, and wait for the screen to turn blank.
6. Press buttons on the DPad, If the values on the screen change, then that means it worked. If the values don't change, try plugging it into another port.
The GBA should work if plugged into the GC adapter for a game like Super Smash Bros.
However, you won't be able to control the characters as the DPad is mapped to the normal DPad.
Thankfully there's HID to VPAD! https://github.com/Maschell/hid_to_vpad/releases (or the Wii U Plugin System by Maschell https://github.com/Maschell/WiiUPluginSystem/releases)
I've included an ini file called "GBA Smash.ini" which I have tested with Super Smash Bros. It works somewhat well.

Wii U Steps
1. Take the SD Card out of your Wii/Gamecube and plug it into your computer.
2. Add HID to VPAD to your SD Card.
3. Remove the SD Card from your computer.
4. Plug the SD Card into your Wii U.
5. Launch Homebrew through your preferred method
6. Run HID to VPAD.
7. Assign the GBA to a controller slot, and press the Plus/Start button on your Wii U Gamepad/Wiimote.
8. Start the game of your choosing and play with a GBA!

Attachments

• GBA on Wii U.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 490
Last edited by Deleted member 424658,

Cloudest

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Wait, this means that we can use pokemon (GBA) through cable link for Pokemon XD/Collosseum in near future? (i hope so) (sorry my broken english though)

Argonitious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't think this could even be done. Nice find. :yayu:

I could actually use this for the increasingly common occasion where I need an extra GC controller. I'm too cheap to buy extras right now. :rofl2:

KevinLSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Works perfectly fine on my Switch with the original WiiU Gamecube adapter and controller.gba from GBI running on the GBA. Kind of useless since it doesn't emulate all buttons, but it seems to work quite fine.
But thats different from this technique
Still works though

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is really cool, but I imagine we still can't use the GBA in Nintendont on the Wii U for the games that could link up with the GBA. I bet that simply is impossible, but I so would love it if somehow we could make that work, Four Swords and Crystal Chronicles deserve much more love.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
those wii instructions seemed way too complicated for me, so I made a process without the whole mios requirement.
-Grab this little program I just wrote up:
https://github.com/FIX94/gba-link-cable-rom-sender/releases/tag/v1.0
-Put the gbaromsend_wii.dol renamed into sd:/apps/gba-link-cable-rom-sender/boot.dol
-Put controller.gba from gbi into a folder called "gba" on your sd card
-Boot up gba-link-cable-rom-sender with a powered on gba plugged into port 2 of your wii
-Select controller.gba, you can use a gc controller in port 1 or wiimote/classic controller/wiiu pro controller thats player 1 for that selection
-After screen on gba turns white you can then exit gba-link-cable-rom-sender and use it as a gamecube controller

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I have EZflash for GBA SP, GBA to GC link cable, and a hacked wii runing Nintendont through WiiFlow to play GC games.

I played Sonic adventure and tried to transfer chao from SA chao garden to sonic advance tiny chao garden, but its saying No gba is in port 2, but it is, and tiny chao garden is runing on GBA....whats wrong?

Same goes for metroid prime and Zelda four swords...

Thanks!

Deleted member 424658

Annoying Weaboo Girl
OP
Trophies
Website
www.reddit.com
XP
Country
United States
I have EZflash for GBA SP, GBA to GC link cable, and a hacked wii runing Nintendont through WiiFlow to play GC games.

I played Sonic adventure and tried to transfer chao from SA chao garden to sonic advance tiny chao garden, but its saying No gba is in port 2, but it is, and tiny chao garden is runing on GBA....whats wrong?

Same goes for metroid prime and Zelda four swords...

Thanks!
You can't use a GBA (as a GBA) with the Gamecube Adapter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: