Gameboy Advance (Original-SP-Micro) as Gamecube Controller for Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by zerofalcon, Jul 22, 2016.

1. zerofalcon
    OP

zerofalcon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 14, 2009
    Somewhere close to my NES
    Hi! years ago I was clearly interested with playing handheld emulators for the Wii (GB, GBA, etc) with a GBA SP connected through a Gba to GC cable, just for the sake of an original experience; of course, the only way to achieve this was only with a Gamecube and a Gameboy Player using it's original software. Since Game Boy Interface was developed by Extrems (gc-forever forum) I reassumed the interest again into having this feature for the Wii, at first, the app itself lacked the option, but in latest releases, they simply exceed it by far (FIX94 and Extrems code) by coding a payload for the GBA, acting almost totally as a Gamecube controller (heck, even by connecting a gba rumble compatible cartridge it acts as rumble support). Only input available are the d-pad, start, select (Z button) B, A, L and R triggers. It works perfect, no input lag at all.
    Things needed:
    -Nintendo Wii backwards compatible (Gamecube controller ports) hacked.
    -Gameboy advance (original, SP, micro)
    -Gba to Gamecube link cable (For me only works by using the official one, my third party cable -pelikan- fails to receive the payload transfer, it may vary depending on different manufacturers)
    -cMIOS (for launching GC homebrew on the Wii)
    -WiiExplorer (I use this only to load the GBI.dol file in GC mode, it's needed just a single time)
    -Game Boy Interface app (GBI) downloaded from here: http://files.extremscorner.org/gamecube/apps/gbi/latest

Having all of this, it's just a matter of loading the GBI.dol file by SD, USB, SD gecko, etc.. plug the gba to gc cable into port number one previously connected to the gba and waiting in multiboot mode, next step: wait till the payload it is transfered to the gba and bang, the console itself now it's been recognized as a gamecube controller, it will stay in a solid white screen but completely functional, it even works with nintendont (not useful but kind of funny). Now you can reset the Wii and load the emulator of preference (I use gambattte and mgba with retroarch), it works with every app supporting gamecube controllers.

I tried to capture the screen (attached file) loaded after launching GBI, just to note how it is detected by loading it on the Wii.

I hope this mini tutorial is well explained, if not, feel free to ask.

Attached Files:

Last edited by zerofalcon, Jul 22, 2016
    darkstrider2 and Ryccardo like this.
  2. darkstrider2

darkstrider2 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2016
    United States
    Whoa! I've been looking all over the internet for a way to use my GBA with my softmodded wii. I have all the equipment, I need your help, I'm kinda stuck cMIOS/WiiExplorer/GBI part.

When I select 'GC Homebrew' for GBI.dol in the WiiExplorer menu, it just reloads the Wii Homebrew menu. So I'm guessing it didn't work.

My hunch is that, I don't think I have GC Homebrew installed (all I remember doing with my wii is installing wii homebrew and use nintendont, so from your tutorial it sounds like I need to be able to make my wii use a 'GC Homebrew'?

If I just install this [1] , would I now be able to use WiiXplorer to load the .dol ? I hope this is all it has to take.

[1] http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Gamecube_Homebrew_Launcher

3. niuus

niuus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 4, 2016
    Venezuela
    "GC Homebrew" is not something that you need to install. It's just homebrew that loads with the native Gamecube mode available on the Wii (remember, the Wii is a Gamecube 2). What he is suggesting though, is that you install a Custom MIOS (WiiGator's cMIOS would suffice, that's what i already use).

Last edited by niuus, Nov 5, 2016
  4. TWiiT

TWiiT Member

Newcomer
    Nov 1, 2016
    Netherlands
    Very interesting! After making Nintendont work on my Wii with retail discs, I loved the Bluetooth controller functionality. Haha, now we can even use the GameBoy!

I got a question though. As GBI is a DOL file, do I NEED the custom MIOS to make it activate the GBA payload transfer, or is it just recommended for using GC homebrew with the GBA as controller 1?

5. zerofalcon
    OP

zerofalcon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 14, 2009
    Somewhere close to my NES
    Hi, yes, you need a custom MIOS in order to load gamecube homebrew apps on the Wii. Extrems yesterday released the source code for the payload, so, if you happen to have a gba flashcart all you need is to load the gba-to-gc controller gba rom and thats all. If not, keep loading it through the GBI.dol

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Hi! you need to install a custom MIOS (Wiigator) with a wad manager, after this, load the gbi.dol app from wiiexplorer.

6. GeminiTH

GeminiTH Member

Newcomer
    May 29, 2016
    United States
    I followed all possible steps/methods of doing this and all of them lead to my Wii resetting itself upon loading any of the .dol files as GC homebrew with WiiXPlorer.
    I would like a more detailed guide, please.

7. niuus

niuus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 4, 2016
    Venezuela
    The steps in the OP are all you need, seriously. That's what i did and had no issues. Later posts even complement the info.

8. saifmalhas

saifmalhas Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2017
    United States
    If you're still facing the same problem, please list the steps that you followed here so I can help you better.

9. Stephano

Stephano I love you Charlie

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    an anti-anime bunker
    Wow, i can't believed this worked. Now if only i could get it as a functional controller for smash brothers. :rofl2:

10. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Would be a bit easier if the payload transfer program was rewritten as a standalone Wii application. Check FIX94's GBA Link Cable Dumper as an example.

11. Extrems

Extrems Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2013
    Canada
    Quebec, Canada
    It's in emGBA now, so you can use that instead.

12. Stephano

Stephano I love you Charlie

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    an anti-anime bunker
    mgba supports gameboy advances?

13. Extrems

Extrems Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2013
    Canada
    Quebec, Canada
    I don't feel so good about it anymore, but emGBA stands for Enhanced mGBA.