How to use a 64gb Micro SDXC in your SDHC compliant flash cart.

The only difference between an SDHC and an SDXC is that SDXC runs the exFAT file system, whereas SDHC runs FAT32. Windows tries to prevent you from formatting any SDXC card into FAT32, so you have to use a special tool called fat32format to do the job, which is downloadable here FAT32Format.zip

1.Extract fat32format to somewhere easily accessible, such as the C:.

2.Connect your Micro SDXC card to your computer with an USB adapter. You should not need a special adapter, most SDHC ones will work fine.

3. Open a command line in admin mode. You can do this by going to start, typing cmd, then pushing ctrl + shift + enter. A UAC popup will ask if you want to run it, click yes.

4. Type CD /D C:\ or CD /D e.g. so if you put it in E:\folder1 type CD /D E:\folder1.

5. Type fat32format so if your SDXC is your F: drive type fat32format f:
6.(beware, this will erase all data on the sdxc card, so backup beforehand if needed) Push y then enter when it ask you if you really want to format.
6a. If it says something else is accessing the sdxc card, download process explorer Process Explorer run it, push ctrl + F, type in the drive of the SDXC card so in this example F: and push enter. It will show you what processes are accessing your SDXC card. Close them out and retry step 6.

It should look like this when it runs successfully.
fat32format.jpg

7. Congrats, your SDXC card will now work on your SDHC flashcart/devices. Now install the firmware needed for your flashcard and put the NDS files of your choice on it and try it out. Enjoy!!

64gb.jpg

This has been confirmed to work so far on supercard DSTWO, EZ Vi, R4i Gold Plus and R4i Gold 3DS. There is no reason it should not work on any SDHC compliant flash card.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will this work in a Wii console?
Regular SDXC cards (64gb and 128gb) formatted to fat32 were confirmed in the Wii section of these forums and someone made a video on Youtube to show the actual cards (both cards were Lexar brand) and their packaging, being used in Wii.

However, this is really only suitable for Dios Mios Lite, multimedia files, and homebrew, if you try to run wbfs files from SDHC/SDXC larger than 2GB things usually* just don't work even if you follow all conceivable instructions (I tried three different brands, ADATA 16GB, Transcend 32GB, and SanDisk 32GB SDHC cards and none would work, even if I used a WBFS partition..)

edit: on the other hand, using an MicroSD/SDHC to SD adapter in the Wii is discouraged.

Reactions: 2 people

carmania100

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I was assuming he meant on a regular SD card for the Wii, following the same format procedures. Not a micro SD in SD adapter.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm going to check it in a second, but to my knowledge, Windows doesn't really "restrict" formatting to FAT32 - it simply suggests exFAT, seeing that it's the recommended format for removable storage nowadays. You can still fromat in FAT32 over the command line.

edit: on the other hand, using an MicroSD/SDHC to SD adapter in the Wii is discouraged.
...may I ask why? Those particular adapters are just a bundle of copper leads - they shouldn't influence read/write in any way.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I was assuming he meant on a regular SD card for the Wii, following the same format procedures. Not a micro SD in SD adapter.

I was just coming in to prevent you from winning a bet!! ^_^

edit:
...may I ask why? Those particular adapters are just a bundle of copper leads - they shouldn't influence read/write in any way.
Because it adds an additional point of failure. I did read it in one of the guides I was using, and the fact I've actually had two MicroSD to SD adapters fail with large file transfers in the past makes me tend toward recommending avoiding them. I'm a person who does research and for all intents and purposes follows instructions, and the adapters that failed were the ones included with the MicroSD cards (made by Sandisk and Kingston).. but I have a Wintec and a Team adapter that have been working properly for months. It's just a risk that can be avoided.. (I don't regard Wintec and Team to be comparable to the top end brands.. they are budget brands.. but this my experience.)

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Because it adds an additional point of failure. I did read it in one of the guides I was using, and the fact I've actually had two MicroSD to SD adapters fail with large file transfers in the past makes me tend toward recommending avoiding them. I'm a person who does research and for all intents and purposes follows instructions, and the adapters that failed were the ones included with the MicroSD cards (made by Sandisk and Kingston).. but I have a Wintec and a Team adapter that have been working properly for months. It's just a risk that can be avoided.. (I don't regard Wintec and Team to be comparable to the top end brands.. they are budget brands.. but this my experience.)
I suppose you're right - if the adapter is indeed faulty, it can cause some issues... however if it's not, and it's kept nice and clean, I don't see how it would make any difference at all. ;) It's just an adapter - an extension of the connectors on the micro/miniSD.

But back to the point, format X: /FS:FileSystem /A:AllocationSize appears to be working perfectly fine on Windows 7's Command Line when it comes to removable storage, so you're not forced to download third-party software to perform it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Would it work with a 2TB one?
I like DS games.
A little bit of an overkill, don't you think?

2TB = 2048GB = 2097152MB

DS ROM sizes vary from 8MB to 256MB, but let's say that the average size is 128MB to be generous. 2TB equals aprox. 16384 ROM's - that's more than there was ever released for the platform.

Not to mention that the bigger the size of the SD, the more trouble the system would have finding the files. Remember that FAT32 is not NTFS - its file searching policies practically have to scan through the entire mounted drive to find the files you are looking for. Using such a big SD card in a device not meant to support it would take a great toll on overall performance.

...and yes, I know you're trolololing. :P
Those particular adapters are just a bundle of copper leads - they shouldn't influence read/write in any way.
I do wonder why there's an extra connector on SD that MicroSD lacks. I assume this deals with the locking mechanism?
Yes, it is. If you connect it to the ground (the pin right next to it - I think it's ground, but I don't remember), the card is locked (AFAIK). If it is not connected, the card remains unlocked for writing.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
White 2 is 512 MB, actually.
Also, you're leaving out emulated games.
GB/C/A
NES
Genesis
And factor in ScummVMDS..

I bet I could use 2TB.
I bet you couldn't, you can't be serious... :P Technical issues aside (welcome to the world of FAT Errors due to read speed timeout :P), 2TB is REALLY a lot of storage... ;)

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the adapters that failed were the ones included with the MicroSD cards (made by Sandisk and Kingston).. but I have a Wintec and a Team adapter that have been working properly for months. It's just a risk that can be avoided.. (I don't regard Wintec and Team to be comparable to the top end brands.. they are budget brands.. but this my experience.)
I suppose you're right - if the adapter is indeed faulty, it can cause some issues... however if it's not, and it's kept nice and clean, I don't see how it would make any difference at all. ;) It's just an adapter - an extension of the connectors on the micro/miniSD.
The reason I mentioned the brands involved in my experience at all is a remark on how you can't *really* know until after your own experiences, whether or not such an adapter is faulty or reliable. I did not expect SD adapters included with Kingston and SanDisk MicroSD's to wind up causing errors or becoming unreadable but they did. I did not expect my Wintec or Team SD adapters (which came with their own respective brand of MicroSDHC media) to continue working after months of regular use. I was using them purely to make MicroSD's readable in my laptop's internal SD slot. It's the same way I was using the ones that broke from "superior brands" within a few uses, On the other hand I've had even more USB adapters break (namely generic "TF Reader" adapters that come bundled with flashcarts) if we're going to explore reliability.. and the best USB adapter I own is made by SanDisk (has been working properly for 3 or 4 years).
I agree that ideally it shouldn't make any difference, but I still recommend against them.. most importantly due to the large file sizes I'm assuming will be dealt with on a 64GB + card.. my failures (which happened in 2010) could've been related to the heat resulting from a large continuous write operation to a class 4 8GB SDHC; but, then again, in present day, I now have a Class 10 32GB SDHC which I nearly filled with music and videos for my phone in one big transfer without failure also.

Just avoid them, if you can. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Foxi4, you're too damn good at arguing.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd actually like Micro SD to SD adapters simply because it does add another layer of protection I suppose. With a normal SD card if the contacts are scratched, or something happens to the contacts period that SD card is lost. However with a Micro SD card in a SD card adapter it's as simple as tossing out the adapter and throwing the Micro SD card into another adapter. No data lost, and no need to buy another one. The Micro SD really isn't moved around must if you're using the SD adapter as the main means of using it rather than just to write data to the card and then throw it into a flashcart or something. But if you primarily use it in the adapter it doesn't move much if at all, making it so the contacts are less likely to be damaged or something. I've noticed that my SD card adapter included with my 32GB Micro SD card was really an improvement over others that I've received. Anywho. Uh, just throwing my opinion out there. Not like it was needed. :lol:

EDIT: Well it's a small measure of protection against data loss. You'd have a corrupt file if you were transferring something over while the SD adapter failed, and from what I just heard it can potentially corrupt your file system. Which is pretty bad, but I stick by my side.

carmania100

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The entire NDS collection is like 160gb..GBA 30gb or so..gbc 750mb..gb 130mb. genesis 1.2gb nintendo 160mb. No way you're going to fill up a 2tb. But you're probably trolling anyway so lol..I can say I wouldn't mind having a 128gb for my DS. Those are supposed to be coming out next year right? Although I'm presently having trouble filling up the entire 64gb I have now haha. 7 gb left at the moment. Although if I was really shooting to fill up a 128gb it'd be easy. I've always wondered why someone didn't make a dual micro sd flash cart for double the space. I imagine it'd sell like hotcakes, being able to advertise double the storage of any competing card. Anyway, micro sd's rock and I'm lovin the 64gb supercard dstwo. I hope others get some 64gb micro sd's and enjoy it thanks to my testing :O

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will this work in a Wii console?
Regular SDXC cards (64gb and 128gb) formatted to fat32 were confirmed in the Wii section of these forums and someone made a video on Youtube to show the actual cards (both cards were Lexar brand) and their packaging, being used in Wii.

However, this is really only suitable for Dios Mios Lite, multimedia files, and homebrew, if you try to run wbfs files from SDHC/SDXC larger than 2GB things usually* just don't work even if you follow all conceivable instructions (I tried three different brands, ADATA 16GB, Transcend 32GB, and SanDisk 32GB SDHC cards and none would work, even if I used a WBFS partition..)

Thank you for the information. One last question. While I see that you would not use a SDXC card for WBFS games, what about WiiWare? I only use my SD card for emulation, WiiWare and multimedia. BTW this would be killer on both the Wii and Wii U. -So much for people bitching about the Wii's lack of space or the Wii U's lack of internal HDD :yaywii:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?