Homebrew How to translate to a wad to a dsdoom wad

Sebastien_Farnum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can I translate a modded Doom2 wad to be compatable with dsdoom. Does anyone know how? The only things that are modded are textures, a few sounds and I added the MBF dog into the game (if the details were need). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You would probably be better on a doom forum for this one.

You have two approaches
Mod the wad to be compatible. This tends to involve either fixing things it expects that are not there/made differently, removing things it does not want or altering them such that they are compatible.

Mod the source code to be compatible with the wad. All the above stuff except you fix it. The DS Doom code is pretty clean/in line with the original/its source base as far as these things go (it is not like you are trying to port it to the SNES Doom or something) but at the same time there are some differences to take note of (I am not sure what they might be as I never got massively into it, just spoke to some people playing with it back when), and if we are looking at contemporaries the PSP stuff is cleaner still.

You could blend the approaches if you wanted.

What approach will work for your given mod is a different matter -- removing stuff is not so great but might be acceptable, however removing is easy.

Personally I would say poke it and find a better version but you do you.

Solid One

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
AFAIK, DsDoom is based on PrBoom, which is a Doom sourceport that has support to some modding features such as MBF. You said your wad has new textures, new sounds and the MBF dog. Except for the MBF, this is mostly a wad that's already compatible with most Doom sourceports, including the more vanilla-like ones. In theory, that should work.

However, I don't know which PrBoom version is DsDoom based. There's the possibility they don't have MBF support on DsDoom. That being the case, I'd recommend you to remove the MBF dog, to see what happens.

Solid One

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@Sebastien_Farnum Have you tried your wad on DsDoom with and without the MBF, just to confirm if the reason why it crashes is because of the MBF dog? Have you tried another custom wad with MBF support on DsDoom, just to make sure if it really supports MBF? Depending of the results of those tests, maybe you can try adapting the MBF dog in your wad, in order to make it work on DsDoom.

Regardless of the tests above, my bet is that DsDoom has no MBF support, or at least not a full MBF support. That being the case, then you could try some of the solutions below:

- Report the bug on this topic, to see if you can get help for the developers of this homebrew (they haven't released DsDoom source code, so only they can fix it);
- Recreating the MBF dog without MBF (probably using DeHacked to change the behaviour of an existing monster in order to make it behave similarly to the dog);
- If you have a 3DS, migrate to PrBoom3DS. I have it on my 3DS and I find it simpler to use, with more customizing options (probably they based on a PrBoom version with a better MBF support).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-