Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if I was able to buy a PC game then burn it onto a blank DVD and play it on that DVD? Like let me give you an example of what I am talking about. The game I want to pirate is Batman Arkham Asylum, and was wondering if I could buy a used copy of it at Gamestop then burn it, and get a refund for the game back in GameStop. Would I be able to play the burned copy of the game?

CCNaru

Warn-free Since 2005
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
1. Gamestop don't sell PC games anymore - they started a service like OnLive and Steam, hence the DXHR scandal (where they opened up DXHR, took out OnLive invites that were included in the game, and sold it as a "New" game, when technically it's not.
2. Gamestop won't let you return PC games. in fact, I don't think anyone will since it's already opened and the CD-Keys are one-time use especially when it has to be enabled online.
3. Just download the crack and the game if you're going to "pirate" the game that way.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You are serious right? You came here and actually asked 'is it possible' as if there might be some chance it wasn't?

What you likely need, is a program like IMGburn, or something comparable, that makes absolute copies of discs. It's not radically new.

An easier solution, just let someone do it for you, as it is no real challenge to download image files of ANY game that is essentially marketed on a digital disc be it cd dvd or blueray. Granted, burning blueray is still the realm of the geek as it is a bit higher end skill set (at this time).

Here is your only real barrier. Last time I checked, NO ONE actually took in used PC games, and guess why that is?

You guessed it, because of what you wish to do.

Now to my knowledge some European countries have laws that allow you to return goods within a specific time span including PC games. I am sure that is limited to UNOPENED games, otherwise the PC game industry in Europe would simply not exist. I know myself, if I owned a game store, you could forget buying PC games in my store, if you could legally demand they be returnable even sealed.

I am also wondering about the notion of you buying them used at a Gamestop to begin with.

Either way, to answer the technical question, yes you can play copies of games if you burn them correctly.
That includes all the console games out there as well.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ehh my Internet is like 1Mb/s(124KB/1). And downloading these huge games from Torrents takes forever. And I normally am not comfortable download Torrents, as I use Megaupload to usually pirate most of my Wii games.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Most modern PC games have some form of DRM to make it so that you can't just copy the game disc, as that's bloody-fucking-obvious to do... this takes many forms, so depending on the game it might actually be easier to just pirate it than to apply a crack yourself.

With older games usually a simple .EXE replacement to one with the DRM check removed works, but with modern games they might want to install some virtual device driver and shit to lock down your system so getting a pirated version that won't install that BS is better.

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Panzer Tacticer said:
Now to my knowledge some European countries have laws that allow you to return goods within a specific time span including PC games. I am sure that is limited to UNOPENED games, otherwise the PC game industry in Europe would simply not exist. I know myself, if I owned a game store, you could forget buying PC games in my store, if you could legally demand they be returnable even sealed.
You'd think so, but no. Here in Sweden policies vary from store to store. I have bought games online for a long time now and things may very well have changed, but some 6-7 years ago I used to go to the leading game store in Sweden at that time, where you could return any game unopened or opened for ten days. I only used the offer once to return a game that my hardware couldn't handle, but I knew a guy who would go in once every week to pick up a new game which he bought for the money he got from returning the one he'd just beaten in the last ten days.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as rydian said, they have been putting copy protection on games for years now, preventing you from just making copies of your disc
this is where release groups come into play, they will rip the game (breaking the copy protection), examine the game for all anit-piracy measures and crack all of them then test, repack the game + cracks along with other files needed to be replaced and release it to the public
also my internet is 80kbps so dont complain about speed, I download big games all the time, it just takes a while...

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SonicXXXthehedgehog said:
just download the games, it makes everything easier.
I do it all the time with torrents, and it never gets any harder (except with steam games...)
he just said his DL is 1Mb/s . so clearly , it means that he doesn't want to DL anything .

overslept

WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Be careful with Batman:AA too, it's notorious for its anti-piracy measures.

If your plan works, be sure to install a cracked .exe afterwards!
wink2.gif

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only important thing to remember about DRM is HOW the DRM works when it is NOT removed.

Some forms WILL fuck your computer physically, ie actually destroy components. Most though just screw up other software already present.

I can feel for ya if your download speed sucks long and large, but the only other way to get a copy is to do it yourself, and that usually means using the original disc and that means putting a DRM ladden disc in your computer. That's like unprotected sex with a diseased slut.

Sometimes the ONLY logical option is to download the game already broken and if it takes a long while on sucktastic internet services, you stomache it.

Otherwise you get to deal with no game.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Lol. Use a cracked DVDfab and rip it from the CD making it a .iso file. Then you can burn that .iso file to a DVD. But i recommend you save the iso to your HDD/SSD and instead have the backup on your computer. Use Daemon tools to mount it and play the game crackfree =). Or be like all pirates and download it and crack it and fuck gamestop and enjoy the game while gamestop lost 1 customer.

Seyiji

Rawr :3
Trophies
Website
www.rage3d.com
XP
Country
United States
Judging by your recent post history in the last 2 months you have bought an i3 laptop as well as a Slim PS3 couple that with your admitted Wii game piracy and the fact you actually have the money to by the game I say fuck pirating it and just bite the bullet and buy the game out right. For fuck sake I have seen the GotY version go for like $7.50!
rolleyes.gif

BoxmanWTF

♪Toot Toot Sonic Warrior♫
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
Splych said:
SonicXXXthehedgehog said:
just download the games, it makes everything easier.
I do it all the time with torrents, and it never gets any harder (except with steam games...)
he just said his DL is 1Mb/s . so clearly , it means that he doesn't want to DL anything .
Mine is even slower, so I can't see why he can't try

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
sweenish said:
shouldn't this discussion be closed?

i thought gbatemp was against the piracy?
Its against posting links to a site where you can download games. I dont see why discussing piracy would be against the rules.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jakob95 said:
I was wondering if I was able to buy a PC game then burn it onto a blank DVD and play it on that DVD? Like let me give you an example of what I am talking about. The game I want to pirate is Batman Arkham Asylum, and was wondering if I could buy a used copy of it at Gamestop then burn it, and get a refund for the game back in GameStop. Would I be able to play the burned copy of the game?

there's web sites with cracked executables on the web but if it is an online game it is pointless and you should buy it so you can play online.

it really isn't that hard. I used to be deep into that stuff but after a while it got old. I buy all the games (cheap) that I play now. Last time I bought a game it was only a buck fifty and I have played it a lot. steam has good prices on practically any game you want and there's also amazon and stuff. it's just simpler to me, since I don't really play games that aren't online..not much value in that. however if I had to I'd just check the regular sources piratebay and newsgroups. very easy to get a virus that way too. not that it really even matters..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol