Gaming How to pirate PC games?

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Panzer Tacticer said:
I wonder how long this site would be here, if someone just decided to find the owner, and make 'bad' things happen to their friends and family.
If the Yakuza ever show up at Costellos house, we know who to blame.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
prowler_ said:
Panzer Tacticer said:
I wonder how long this site would be here, if someone just decided to find the owner, and make 'bad' things happen to their friends and family.
If the Yakuza ever show up at Costellos house, we know who to blame.

Who? Nintendo?

Remember, I said if I was Nintendo.

Me, I couldn't care less.

The only reason I wouldn't push for links, is I have better sources already.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Panzer Tacticer said:
Rydian said:
Panzer Tacticer said:
If I was Nintendo, this site would already be dead.
How exactly would you do that?

Please give all sorts of details and make sure to quote relevant laws.

Heheheheh laws, he expects me to use laws, that is fucking hilarious.

No, I'd 'pressure' whomever is providing the site into 'conveniently' being unable to privide the service any longer.

You guys need to live a few more years I suppose to be able to comprehend that winning doesn't need to have anything to do with fair or legal.

I wonder how much money the owners of GBATemp have, vs the Nintendo company's bank account. Or the people that provide this site.

Yep entirely 'wrong' but, who said life was anything to do with always being 'right'?

Quote relevant law he says, how utterly naive.

The only reason GBATemp exists, is Nintendo just doesn't give a fuck enough to care. Cost of doing business I suppose. Might even call the site a bizarre form of free advertising. Seeing as we blather about them all day long for free.
lolinternetbadass

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That was the best you could do for a response?

You were expecting an idiotic and lengthy spiel of pointless references to laws that invariably don't apply?

I take it you've never actually experienced what happens when you annoy the powerful on this planet before.

kevan

Imagination rules the world
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Not bad to mention Daemon Tools or BitTorrent since they both can be used
legally. Just generally not used legally...
Although personally PowerIso is better, only reason I ever use Daemon Tools
is if something won't work on PowerIso.

PyroSpark

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Panzer Tacticer said:
Rydian said:
Panzer Tacticer said:
If I was Nintendo, this site would already be dead.
How exactly would you do that?

Please give all sorts of details and make sure to quote relevant laws.

No, I'd 'pressure' whomever is providing the site into 'conveniently' being unable to privide the service any longer.

You guys need to live a few more years I suppose to be able to comprehend that winning doesn't need to have anything to do with fair or legal.

I wonder how much money the owners of GBATemp have, vs the Nintendo company's bank account. Or the people that provide this site.

Yep entirely 'wrong' but, who said life was anything to do with always being 'right'?

The only reason GBATemp exists, is Nintendo just doesn't give a fuck enough to care. Cost of doing business I suppose. Might even call the site a bizarre form of free advertising. Seeing as we blather about them all day long for free.

I agree with this site being free advertising. I pirated shit tons of games from Nintendo because of this site. >_>

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Panzer Tacticer said:

With a mentality like that, I'd like to see you run ANY kind of business for a whole week without running it into the proverbial ground.

You obviously have absolutely no idea how the legal world works, nor do you know when to call it quits. You said something dumb, someone called you on it, you became a defensive ignoramus.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Panzer Tacticer said:
That was the best you could do for a response?

You were expecting an idiotic and lengthy spiel of pointless references to laws that invariably don't apply?

I take it you've never actually experienced what happens when you annoy the powerful on this planet before.

Anyone past 7th grade should already know the things you went on a spiel about. You don't need to be 75 to figure it out.

But that's the stupidest point i've ever seen someone make, because it applies to everything. The only thing is, Nintendo isn't going to potentially damage their reputation to close down a site that has pretty much no detrimental effects on it. When Sony went after Hotz, their reputation actually took a pretty big hit, and they were legally pursuing someone who had actually done some serious damage to them.
Can you imagine if word spread that Nintendo attacked an innocent forum dedicated to gaming, for virtually no reason? It's pretty likely they'd get shit on by the media (even if it sounds trivial, the media tends to like to put big companies in the worst light possible).

Even if not from a reputation point of view, which does have a potential of simply being buried (though in this day and age...), then we look at the other side of the spectrum to wasting money and resources to shut down a site for literally no benefits. It'd be like a rich kid going downtown, pointing at a random store, and shutting it down. It makes no sense. The rich kid gains nothing from it, and there's no real reason behind it. That's fine for a random rich kid, but for a company, they wouldn't do something stupid like that. No business will pointlessly throw away money for absolutely no reason. That's not what a business is about.

TL:DR - read bold only.

So the question remains, what reason would Nintendo have to close down GBAtemp, oh guru of knowledge.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First to address some comments.

I am actually a retired (sounds better than disabled) businessman. I actually know plenty about the business world.

I grew up around guys with half of them being sons of police officers. Actually I have been around the legal system for a long time.

I have also known a lot of people that regularly kept the fathers of the other persons I know, in regular work.

I see businesses go under a lot actually. It is no special thing, for a person to just not know what they are doing when it comes to running a business. I wouldn't think I was magically special.

"Can you imagine if word spread that Nintendo attacked an innocent forum dedicated to gaming, for virtually no reason?"

That comment is kinda strange to be honest. I wonder precisely why anyone would consider this site 'innocent' let alone harmless.

If every person here on this site, was able to avoid buying 10 games that they would have bought otherwise, one can wonder, just how much cash is that representative of?

Oh this site is indeed dedicated to gaming. But it is also dedicated to not paying for that gaming too.

So it becomes a form of accounting, losses vs gains. Does Nintendo gain any use out of the site, in greater numbers than it loses? As if any of us will ever know though.
So it comes down to whether Nintendo really cares, or whether it thinks it matters.

I also think it curious, that anyone reading this thread, actually thinks the world of big business never plays mean nasty rough and with an above the law attitude.
Not that I am going to lose any sleep wondering though.

The main difference as I see it, with a member here in their teens and, well, me, is, I have a totally different outlook on life (seeing as I have already used more than half of the expected budget). I download games primarily because I can. I won't even try to spin that in any fashion at all in any way other than what it is. Because it sure as hell is not because my allowance won't allow for it, or I live in a crummy part of the planet.

But to get back to the point.
I don't hate this site, the original comment was, if I was Nintendo, and I am most certainly not.
I've seen what happens to even big companies that simply refuse to budge on evolving with the times.
By the end of this week Blockbuster ceases to exist.
A buddy of mine sure made a good score on buying games at 40% off. Turned 450 bucks worth of new games, into brand new consoles he got at Gamestop with the trade in credit, for sales of the consoles online, with a flashcart for a profit. He's making more money converting games he gets via buying unwanted consoles, into resales that generates more income than a regular 9 to 5 job.

I think it is safe to say, Nintendo at least has a reason to dislike sites that make a total mockery of their game products.
But I have been wondering, if Nintendo really only cares if the hardware sells.
After all, I suppose it is not Nintendo that makes most of the games, they just get to put their name on the case.
GBATemp is likely only really hurting the schmucks making the games.
Not that I care, considering how many of those games are schlock.

Oveneise

Trophies
Website
ACAdapterquotes.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
kevan said:
Not bad to mention Daemon Tools or BitTorrent since they both can be used
legally. Just generally not used legally...
Although personally PowerIso is better, only reason I ever use Daemon Tools
is if something won't work on PowerIso.

If I can remember correctly, PowerIso cannot mount .ccd files. Other than that, its a great and free alternative to Daemontools. And holy crap is this thread getting off topic.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is getting worse and worse... but i only pirate ds games i gave on the wii... cause well i don't know... but anyway haters gonna hate i guess...

Dan9550

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
haha i loled at the title of this post, there are ways you just have to find them
wink.gif

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's all about getting a program to defeat the original software's protections. After you have the defeated copy damn near any emulator program will do.

I currently use Gizmo and or Virtual Clone DVD, but I only use them with things I have already defeated or were defeated by others previously.

It's been a long while though since I encountered anything good enough to want for free. Just not been a lot of great games out there I have wanted in the last few years.

Most of my use of IMGburn, is just to make copies of stuff I already have defeated. I usually only want copies of movies these days and they are generally no brainers.

Defeated Nintendo DS games are so utterly easy to find, and so completely small in file size that there just isn't any reason to need a way to make defeated copies of them personally.

I am fortunate that I want soo few console games, I can afford to just buy the so few titles I would actually wish to have.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hells Malice said:
When Sony went after Hotz, their reputation actually took a pretty big hit, and they were legally pursuing someone who had actually done some serious damage to them.

I stopped buying new Sony products when I realized they were the reason for Lik-Sang's shutdown. Lik-Sang was the first place I had found out about flash carts.
I don't even buy little shit like blank DVD media from them if I have a choice.

@ topic title: the only useful info I have to contribute is that Virtual CloneDrive has been a great ISO mounter for me, and the only piece of software I was never able to get working wasn't a game, it was a copy of Rosetta Stone Tagalog.

edit: added link

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sometimes it is just plain hard to stomache some things, but I read this today, and hmm, if they can do this, it just really depends in the end if the interest is there.

http://torrentfreak.com/major-usenet-provi...content-110929/

content copy pasted here.

Major Usenet Provider Ordered to Remove All Infringing Content

Dutch anti-piracy outfit BREIN has won its landmark court case against News-Service.com, one of the leading Usenet providers. The Amsterdam court ruled that the Usenet provider, which offers its network to Binverse and Usenext among others, has to delete all infringing content from its servers. This decision is similar to the one that effectively shut down the BitTorrent site Mininova, and it could mean the end of one of the leading providers of Usenet access.

Two years ago BREIN, representing the movie and music industries, took News-Service.com (NSE) to court.

The group demanded that the Usenet provider delete all infringing content from its servers, and today the Court of Amsterdam sided with the copyright holders.

In an unprecedented verdict the court ruled that NSE has to remove all copyrighted content within four weeks, or pay 50,000 euros ($68,000) in fines per day. The court states that NSE willingly facilitates copyright infringement through its services.

NSE argued that are simply transmitting content, much like an Internet provider does. However, the court rejected this defense, adding that a notice and takedown procedure is insufficient to protect the rightsholders.

The decision could have far-reaching consequences for many other Internet services, starting with NSE resellers such as Binverse and Usenext..

“We are very disappointed with the Court’s verdict. It is technically as well as economically unfeasible to check the contents of the 15 to 20 million messages that are exchanged on a daily basis. Added to which, there is no automated way of checking whether Usenet messages contain copyrighted material or whether permission has been obtained for the distribution of such material,” NSE CEO Patrick Schreurs said in a comment.

“We see no way of complying with this verdict. Furthermore, the verdict endangers our very existence as a company, and is thus a threat to Usenet itself, as the facilitation of Usenet services has become impossible on the grounds of this verdict. The exchange of messages by means of this oldest of Internet services has de facto become impossible,” he adds.

The Usenet provider is currently considering whether it should appeal the decision.

BREIN is delighted with the verdict of the court, which is very similar to the one that signaled the end of the BitTorrent site Mininova two years ago.

“It is a breakthrough step to further dismantle the availability of illegal content on Usenet,” director Tim Kuik responded.

There is little doubt that the verdict of the Amsterdam Court is going to have a huge impact on the Usenet market, and the question has to be asked where it will stop. Could file-hosting services like MegaUpload and RapidShare be next? And what about other cloud hosting services such as Dropbox?

For now, however, NSE is faced with the impossible task of finding a way to identify and delete all copyrighted files from its servers.

end quote

My point is essentially, there is no such thing as safe content if someone says what you are doing isn't safe to them.

I've read the 'terms of service' for my current newsindexer, and I have read the one that I might be shifting to, and they are both very adamant and very clear in their oh so legalese that they do nothing wrong, and that it is the user at fault etc etc etc, and in the end, it means nothing in a courtroom.

Thus, claims that GBATemp is not legally in the wrong, in the end, it means sweet fuck all in a lot of cases in some countries. Just depends I guess on which country you get to be in some times eh.

My previous newsindexer was in the UK, my current choice is not supposedly in the UK. And they added a numeral 2 to the name, claimed they were not the same people and it appears that they went offshore. They basically told to court to piss off. Might not keep them out of court though. I am looking at a new indexer, and they are also in the UK it seems. I am hesitant to pay them even the 10 bucks for the 10 year membership if they are doomed to be gone in a year.

Mentioning how many google hits GBATemp gets is actually not entirely a good thing. Visible gets you noticed.
I am not sure Sony really cared. We have long known already Sony plays hard ball.
We have long known Nintendo plays hard ball in Europe. Maybe it's all about the laws in the countries in question.
If GBATemp is US based, it might be ok, then again, maybe it would be better in Canada. Then again who knows. My country has been contemplating some reason dumb shit in the last couple of years. Almost seems like a competition with the US.

Sorry for the long post, if you didn't read it, my sympathies for your apathy.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
sweenish said:
you don't see how posting links to pirated goods is the same as telling someone how to pirate goods themselves? in both cases, you're allowing the person to acquire pirated materials. they're exactly the same thing.
Go up to a cop and ask him if saying "smoke weed" is the same thing as handing somebody weed.

See what he says.

unfortunatley where I live, the cops don't care even if you deal right in front of their cars. they do nothing about it.

and also unfortunately the vast majority of people I've met that smoke weed and I used to hang out iwth, I don't hang out with any more because that is asshole territory (marijuana, that is..the people still are ok but the weed attracts total degenerates of mankind)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo