Hacking ** How To Make Any HDD Compatible With USB Loader For Dummies **

Golfje

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Strange is that a lacie desktop 250gb works
but a same drive only with 500gb doesn't seem to work see wiki...

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I've only got a pair of Lacie d2 BigDrives (1TB each, each in 2x500GB RAID). One is in HFS+ format which I can't transfer to another drive (G4 broken), and the other has failed (I think it's just the interface that overheated and died, not the drives themselves, but I'm not allowed to try transferring the HDDs inside to the other Lacie - dad's orders).

Lacie enclosures/drives are notorious for failing within a year of use. Still, I've no means to test them myself. Good luck to ye ;p

PrimusZa1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Golfje said:
Strange is that a lacie desktop 250gb works
but a same drive only with 500gb doesn't seem to work see wiki...
I had the same results...250 Seagate, WD or Maxtor all work with that drive in usb 1.1. I put a 500 WD and it errors -1.. Funny thing is vista and xp can see and use the 500 GB WD fine with it. Oh well the 250 gb seems to be enough space for now.

foobar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Add to NOT WORKING (@$#!):
Seagate 7200.8 400gb in Maxtor One Touch USB enclosure and via generic "USB to IDE and SATA cable"
Seagate 7200.10 500b via generic "USB to IDE and SATA cable"

Add to WORKING (if little faster than the dvd drive):
Super Talent Pico_C 8GB flash drive

ilnyc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
12- if Error ( ret = -1 ) displayed it is most common to be solved by unplugging the power cord and the USB Connector of the HDD and turn OFF Wii Console Completely then plug the HDD back in the console and the power then power the Console up and run the Loader again and Game list will show .
I prepared my 80GB seagate 7200.7 drive in an enclosure. Formatted to FAT32 with FAT32format.exe, and formatted and loaded 1 game (that plays well with the gamma backup loader on dvd r) with the GUI WBFS Manager.

But when I connect the drive to Wii, it still doesn't recognize the WBFS partition, and it returns ret=-6 if I click A to format it. As far as I can tell, it behaves exactly like nothing is plugged into the USB slot.

I do have cIOS rev 10 installed, and I am using the plain USB loader v1.5.

Are there any thing I can try or it is time to declare the drive incompatible? It is a Seagate 7200.7 IDE 80GB in a Humax enclosure with cypress chipset.

ETA: Are all the other fancier USB loaders built on top of USBloader v1.5? I am wondering if it will be any different if I used a different USB loader.

lavamasta

Trophies
Website
swagbucks.com
XP
Country
United States
thanks for tyhis, i might be able to get my 40gb i/o magic to work now
smile.gif

knuj_on

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a third party tool, Fat32format (freeware http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-D...32format.shtml) , run from the command line, that allows a "vanilla" drive to be formatted Fat32.

There is a third party tool, hdparm, that allows changing of the power management settings on a "vanilla" drive. *Warnings* :-
1) It only works if the drive is connected to the motherboard's IDE controller i.e. you have to be prepared to remove the drive from it's caddy.
2) The windows current version of 6.9 gives an IO error message of some sort when you attempt to set the power management settings (other than spin down time) so you need to have access to a linux install.
So this is NOT for the "average Joe" !

Any chance of getting this thread stickyed with the rest of the USB loader stuff ?

DoctorMike

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Strikes me that eventually all drives will work, as they work on PCs, but it will take a really robust USB2 driver code for the Wii to overcome various "features" assumed OK by the PC disk manufacturers. Here's hoping!

NeoDraven

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
algols-place.chatango.com
XP
Country
United States
sheridan2000 said:
Nope dont work for my external icy box with a samsung spin point 160gb...nice try though...thanks for your efforts...next..

Next? You arrogant little fuckwad. People busted their ass to try to help the community, and you respond with "next"? Who the fuck do you think you are? These people don't do this shit for your pleasure and your approval.

I hope you die in a fire, little kid.

ClockWorK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LaCie 750gig works every time now. Divided into 2 partitions, 250gig WBFS and 500gig FAT32.

40+ games.

Waninkoko's USB Loader 1.5

Also, I am using the not-quite-released cIOS rev11 mentioned in this post: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=152184
I think this really helped my compatibilty issues. Prior to this, games would freeze, and I'd have to reboot the Wii.

Kratozero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi Bigmoe, i am kind of stuck with something
Will this tutorial help me if my USB Datatraveler DTI8GB is giving me the "could not initialize USB Subsystem ( ret = -1 ) " error ??.
Of course i wouldn't have to plug any power cord, there is none on usb pendrives.
Or would you happen to know where i can find the USB Loader DTI someone mentions on this page?:

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/USB...bility_List#8GB

Thanks in advance Big Moe

BIG MOE

๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Kratozero said:
Hi Bigmoe, i am kind of stuck with something
Will this tutorial help me if my USB Datatraveler DTI8GB is giving me the "could not initialize USB Subsystem ( ret = -1 ) " error ??.
Of course i wouldn't have to plug any power cord, there is none on usb pendrives.
Or would you happen to know where i can find the USB Loader DTI someone mentions on this page?:

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/USB...bility_List#8GB

Thanks in advance Big Moe
yes just follow the format tutorial
wink.gif

YallDontNoMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anyone try using this to format? "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool"
google it and try.

or via cmd prompt try format x: /fs:fat32
as admin if on vista, maybe

make sure to fdisk /mbr to clean up the boot records

can make a quick one-click & choose the drive gui app if this solution works

DxEggman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Suppose........I wanted to remove an iso from the hard drive.

What command do I use to remove the file from the wbfs formatted drive?

elbee

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't get the USB loader working with my FREECOM toughdrive 160GB. Got WBFS on the drive with my PC (hell of a job but eventually succeeded), added a iso, but can't use it on my wii. USB loader programs just freeze. Read the FAQs, searched my ass off but didn't found a solution.

What am i doing wrong ??

Data:
* WII 3.2E, HBC, rev10 cios, gamma loader, (no preloader, no cioscorp)
* FREECOM toughdrive 160GB with no external power.
* used original usbloader, GX one, beardface coverflow, all freeze.
* diskled just lights up constant when connected to wii
* tried both usb ports

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-