Hacking ** How To Make Any HDD Compatible With USB Loader For Dummies **

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gentlemen.

I have done it, and it has worked fine.

Using what I said above, just make sure you close down the program you're using to format it before you try formatting it in WBFS Manager, or it'll give you some error of still being in use
tongue.gif

Now I just have to mess around with getting all my stuff on there, and getting devkitpro to work for me (It refuses to work properly through Programmer's Notepad D:;]

pnice

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bauldrick said:
So what are these HDD's connected with ? I was of the understanding that it's the USB chipset of what you're connecting with that issue's arise with, not the logic board of HDD's .?

That's what I'm thinking. I have an older USB DVD drive that I took apart so I could easily hook up any IDE hard drive to it and plug it in. It's worked like a champ for as long as I've had it and windows always see the drive plugged into it as a removable drive. I've tried three different hard drives (Seagate, WD and Maxtor) that I had laying around and none of them will work for me. It gets into the loader and shows the message about "initializing the drive (30 second timeout)" and it will not do anything after that. I doubt that all three HDs I've tried won't work. I think it's the usb adapter that I'm using.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You've followed the guide to the tooth and still have problems? Every time I had problems they were fixed by later realizations that I strayed from the guide.

The only difference being that you don't need FAT32 (Unless you want to do something like I do and make partitions)

Just quick format to NTFS and make that a WBFS.

You probably want to HARD format first to NTFS if you had data previously on the drive.

madnlooney

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
when i have my hitatchi drive attached im sure i get spin down as it seems to freeze the loader. when i download covers the download screen pops up but stays at 0%. i can move the pointer but thats it. Also when i load a game it gives me a black screen with all ive tried. i cant find a hard drive too to change the spin down to 0. anyone have one for hitatchi 2.5" drive?

BIG MOE

๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
madnlooney said:
when i have my hitatchi drive attached im sure i get spin down as it seems to freeze the loader. when i download covers the download screen pops up but stays at 0%. i can move the pointer but thats it. Also when i load a game it gives me a black screen with all ive tried. i cant find a hard drive too to change the spin down to 0. anyone have one for hitatchi 2.5" drive?
someone had mentioned a generic tool somewhere on the forum , search it out
wink.gif

eteles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello! People with HDD enclosures problem, just buy this OMATA enclosure on ebay for 2.5" sata hard drives.
This one works perfectly for me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/OMATA-Black-SATA-USB-2...3%3A1|294%3A200

It will make any hard drive be recognized as a gerenic USB storage device and will work on the wii with no issues whatsoever.
If the link expires, the enclosure is the OMATA one that has a red fire-like graphic on the top of it, with white side...

Hope it helps!

jovanah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
eteles said:
Hello! People with HDD enclosures problem, just buy this OMATA enclosure on ebay for 2.5" sata hard drives.

It will make any hard drive be recognized as a gerenic USB storage device and will work on the wii with no issues whatsoever.
If the link expires, the enclosure is the OMATA one that has a red fire-like graphic on the top of it, with white side...

Hope it helps!

Hmm i think i might have to get me one of those and hope it works. I've tried a few different SATA enclosures that didn't work

jovanah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
eteles said:

Hope it helps!

just purchased the item, Once it comes in i will test the 2 different sata drive i have and post back here the results *fringer crossed*

On another note i tested a IDE enclousre Enclosure info with a Toshiba 80gb and a fujitsu 20gb 2.5" drive (dont have HD details on hand)

The 80gb drive would detect not most of the games would freeze when i go to load them.
The 20gb drive would only detected if i used the usb cable and usb power cable that came with the enclosure, if i use any other cable it wont detect.

It make me wounder if the compabily is not just relating to the enlousre.

Midnightzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just purchased a Seagate FreeAgent 1.5TB External HDD and so far it is working just fine with the USB Loader, so limit isn't 1TB. (Didn't read through 8 pages to see if anyone already tried this...)

1GB Fat32 - 500GB WBFS - 896GB NTFS

jovanah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
eteles said:

Hope it helps!

Hi Guys
I can second this one, received the item today and tested it with my WD 320gb sata drive that wouldn't work with my other enclosure. The Wii detected this enclosure first go.

techker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hey guys when i try to format it it says exFAT then you chose the kilobytes?

is that ok?and if i do it when i plug it in the usb louncher says no wfbs found need to format.so if i format,my pc dont reconize it?

BIG MOE

๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
techker said:

is that ok?and if i do it when i plug it in the usb louncher says no wfbs found need to format.so if i format,my pc dont reconize it?
yes exFAT 32kb and then format it with WBFS Manager 3.0.1 and add one ISO backup of your own and the Wii Loader will see it

harsh.realm

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Originally bought a Western Digital Elements 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive to use on USB Loader and I figured, didn't need that big of a drive just for that.

I was fortunate my IDE Hard Drive Enclosure (Bought from COMPUSA a long time ago) was recognized by the Wii, finally making some use of my old Seagate IDE Drives.
happy.gif

techker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
BIG MOE said:
techker said:

yes exFAT 32kb and then format it with WBFS Manager 3.0.1 and add one ISO backup of your own and the Wii Loader will see it
thx!now i need to find out how to to a back up of my wii loader?lol

jonas7611

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
sionsays said:
i did the command prompt WBFS format, added games, and now for some reason, when i plug it into my wii, boot up usb loader, the USB loader is telling me i need to format

Hi there, jad the same problem , try switching USB ports.
Hope it helps
smile.gif

marisko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have a 160 gb WD Caviar ide hdd, but I need a compatible enclosure. Can you guys recommend me a good and cheap one? I live in Mexico, so I can only buy through ebay. If im not mistaken, any hard drive will function with this method right? Can I use any enclosure?

Kratozero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Si vives en Mexico, te recomiendo el Enclosure de Best Component, lo venden en la Plaza de la Tecnologia en el centro, es plateado y viene en una caja azul con blanco
Saludos

UltraBro

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I have a 1TB External WD MyBook HD. I wanted to keep data for use on my PC, so I created a 20gb partition for the Wii Backups. Formatted it to WBFS, and installed two games on there. I'm attempting to using Loadstructor, and when I try to load a game, it doesn't find my External HD. Any idea?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I have lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And I havent watched Brotherhood yet
    It was watchable, not sure what my favorite Anime is hmmm
    Castlevania or Baki probably
    Robotech was good
    DBZ I liked up until Cell after that it got too weird
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My youtube comment got 2k likes achievement unlocked
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, i also watch my hero academia and rewatching dragón ball starting from the og series
    Oh also loved Vanhellsing
    And Vanhellsing abridged lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    GOOD LORD WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THERE?!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Aurora Borealis?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I- AURORA BOREALIS? AT THIS TIME OF YEAR, AT THIS TIME OF DAY, IN THIS PART IF THE COUNTRY, LOCALIZED ENTIRELY WITHIN YOUR KITCHEN?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    jokes aside, anyone else who saw the northern lights tonight, what did you think, i thought they were beautiful for a while, before it went to a vague pink
    maybe later they'll pick up again
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went out and tried to see, but I'm too south, and its too cloudy, bummer
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    too far south? it goes down to alabama tonight
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sorry about the clouds btw, the sky is clear here rn
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Maybe just too cloudy for me then, Idk
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its neat tho, I seen it years ago when I was visiting Canada.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this is my first aurora tbh
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i mean, multiple have happened in my lifetime, but it's always been too cloudy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S LIKE THAT ALMOST EVERY FUCKING METEOR SHOWER TOO
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking