Tutorial  Updated

How to install the latest Rebug CFW

UPDATED GUIDE HERE

Finally, I decided to post my guide to installing the latest Rebug CFW on your PS3.

If you're on OFW higher than 3.55, you CAN'T install CFW directly! You need to check if your model is old enough to be hackable (older than June 2011). If you're lucky enough and it is hackable, you can use a hardware flasher (NOR Guide | NAND Guide) to dump your 3.56+ flash, patch it and re-flash it before you can install CFW using the guides below.

If you're on 3.55 or lower OFW, or a hardware flasher patched 3.56+ OFW, or any 4.46 or lower CFW, you can install Rebug 4.46.1 LITE from XMB by following the guide below:

1- Dump your NOR/NAND Flash (optional):
If already on CFW, install latest version of multiMAN CEX, plug in a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive into the right USB port, launch multiMAN under the Game column and go to mmOS > Press
circlebutton.gif
on any file > Open in HEX viewer > Press SELECT > Press START > Export GameOS LV2: Select No > Export HV LV1: Select No > Export FLASH: Select Yes
This creates a backup of your NOR/NAND flash so that you can recover using a hardware flasher in case of a (highly unlikely) brick. It is recommended to do it every time you upgrade/downgrade your CFW just in case something goes wrong.

2- Install Rebug 4.46.1 LITE from XMB:
Download Rebug 4.46.1 LITE from Rebug's website, verify the md5 hash, rename the PUP to PS3UPDAT.PUP, put it on your FAT32 formatted flash drive in PS3\UPDATE, go to System Update and Update via Storage Media. Make sure there's NO original game disk in the drive, NO game is mounted and that you DON'T Update via Internet or else you would risk installing OFW >3.55!

3- Enable QA:
Go to Package Manager > Install Package Files > PS3 Hard Disk and install Rebug Toolbox. Launch it under the Game column, go to Utilities and change Toggle QA Flag to Enabled. This is to ensure easier and safer downgrading.

Notes:
  • OFW 4.55 has been released, make sure you don't accidentally update. You also need a spoofer to connect to PSN (with ban risk).
  • Make sure you use mM 4.46.00 or higher because older versions are not compatible with this CFW.
  • Make sure you install the Rebug Toolbox pkg included inside Package Manager because older versions are not compatible with this CFW.
  • Make sure you use reActPSN v2.27 or higher because older versions might not be fully compatible with this CFW.

Last edited by mschumacher69,

mschumacher69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I asked and they said you can't installed rebug 4.46.1 LITE directly on top of Rebug 3.41. They said you must update to 3.55 OFW first before do this.

EDIT: Did anybody test rebug 4.51.1 LITE that was already installed directly on top of Rebug 3.41 safely instead of update to 3.55 OFW first ?

This is a misconception in the PS3 Scene. Many people seem to think that you need to be on 3.55 to install CFW, while that's true, 3.55 is the maximum not the minimum. 3.55 and all OFWs below it are hackable and can be installed with CFW. Also, all latest CFWs are hackable and can be installed with another CFW of the same version or lower. It was only the early Rogero 4.xx CFWs that needed to be downgraded to 3.55 before u could install another 4.xx Rogero on top of them.

Rebug 4.51 does not exist, the highest CFW/OFW version right now is 4.46.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry about the typo. I mean 4.46.1 LITE...

Anyway, you are correct about PS3 Scene.. I am not sure if I have to mention it or something. Thank you. So, my 3.41 rebug is hackable and can installed rebug 4.61.1 Lite directly on top of Rebug 3.41 as overwrite it ? :)

mschumacher69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry about the typo. I mean 4.46.1 LITE...

Anyway, you are correct about PS3 Scene.. I am not sure if I have to mention it or something. Thank you. So, my 3.41 rebug is hackable and can installed rebug 4.61.1 Lite directly on top of Rebug 3.41 as overwrite it ? :)

That's right. Rebug is safe to install on top of any other CFW. The worst thing that could happen is that it wouldn't install with an error message, but it won't brick ur PS3.

And when I say "PS3 Scene", I mean the PS3 hacking scene as in the users who know how to hack the PS3, I don't mean any other particular website or forum...

lukands

I took the little bus here
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
Is it needed and/or is it best to format the HDD and/or remove the old dongle open manager and/or delete anything before going from 3.41 to rebug 4.46(or the latest). Sorry just want to be sure (while I have a few extra xbox lying around I only have the one ps3....so I don`t want to mess it up...)

mschumacher69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Is it needed and/or is it best to format the HDD and/or remove the old dongle open manager and/or delete anything before going from 3.41 to rebug 4.46(or the latest). Sorry just want to be sure (while I have a few extra xbox lying around I only have the one ps3....so I don`t want to mess it up...)
Yes take out the old dongle and delete Open Manager because u don't need them anymore.

mschumacher69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Appreciate the quick response, just out of curiosity whats the difference between REX, LITE, editions?
REX has both CEX and DEX kernels. LITE is just a CEX CFW.

Out of Curiosity... How do you downgrade it when you have the NOR/NAND FLASH d umping from your ps3 ?
You don't need a flash dump to downgrade when on CFW.

dragonjud

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, looks like the right place to post this:

Looking to upgrade my hard drive. I've looked around, and it seems many people run into issues when doing this with CFW.
In theory the backup and restore should work, assuming you're installing the same CFW. However, many people run into issues.
Some mention issues with the QA flag being enabled, while trying to restore.

Has anybody done this recently (say after Rebug 4.30 or newer) that can provide insight?

mschumacher69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Looking to upgrade my hard drive. I've looked around, and it seems many people run into issues when doing this with CFW.
In theory the backup and restore should work, assuming you're installing the same CFW. However, many people run into issues.

Has anybody done this recently (say after Rebug 4.30 or newer) that can provide insight?

It should work fine on the latest Rebug.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Probably a bit late and you've already upgraded the drive, but will post anyway just in case.

Just upgraded my 120GB slim running rebug 4.46 with a 1TB drive (Seagate Momentus - ST1000LM024) about a week ago, all went smoothly. I did have the QA flag enabled as the guide I followed to install rebug advised to do this.
I'm pretty sure the issues with HDD upgrades on CFW are limited to older CFWs.

I noted down a few things as I was doing it, but basically just follow the normal upgrade process and should be fine.
It migrated my psn games (purchased and installed from PKG), saves, and game caches. It didn't migrate my trophy data (it warned that it wouldn't, I needed to sign in to PSN and select sync trophies or something), but im not really fussed about trophies.

-Backed up via official method
-Swapped over HDDs
-Plug in fat32 thumb drive with same cfw as was previously installed (Rebug 4.46)
-Boot system, error about hdd, connect controller via usb, press start + select
-Message that system partition will be formatted etc
-formatting..... do not turn off etc
-system reboots
-ps3 system software install screen... rebug 4.46.1 REBUG RE.. press ps button
-Normal cfw install process
-Standard first time setup (date time etc)
-Restore via official method

I dont believe you'd need to reinstall the firmware on the NAND fat PS3s as it's stored in the onboard flash not on the HDD.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now, you made me nervous to update from 3.41 rebug to 4.46 rebug. Since I asked before but I delayed further ahead. I come back today to read it again and now Count Duckula had a issue. I am getting nervous.. Should I ? And Do I need bdemu.bin install after update to 4.46 rebug from 3.41 rebug ? Thanks.. Again. Sorry.

mschumacher69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Now, you made me nervous to update from 3.41 rebug to 4.46 rebug. Since I asked before but I delayed further ahead. I come back today to read it again and now Count Duckula had a issue. I am getting nervous.. Should I ? And Do I need bdemu.bin install after update to 4.46 rebug from 3.41 rebug ? Thanks.. Again. Sorry.
How did you get to the conclusion that Count Duckula had an issue?? He said "all went smoothly"!

Reactions: Count Duckula

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should have read "All went smoothly" more carefully. I read too fast, I guess.

Last question: And Do I need bdemu.bin install after update to 4.46 rebug from 3.41 rebug ?

EDIT:I know that Rogero Downgrader can downgrader to 3.55. This only works for CFW though. I dont know if there is a program that allow you to downgrader to 3.41 if I want to (High unlikely I wont, lol)

Two questions, please ? Thanks.

mschumacher69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I should have read "All went smoothly" more carefully. I read too fast, I guess.

Last question: And Do I need bdemu.bin install after update to 4.46 rebug from 3.41 rebug ?

EDIT:I know that Rogero Downgrader can downgrader to 3.55. This only works for CFW though. I dont know if there is a program that allow you to downgrader to 3.41 if I want to (High unlikely I wont, lol)

Two questions, please ? Thanks.

No you don't need bdemu.bin, it's included in the latest version of mM.

You don't need Rogero's downgrader or any downgrader PUP to downgrade Rebug CFW, all you have to do is enable QA then you can install any CFW/OFW lower than yours (down to your minimum version) from XMB. Be careful not to install any OFW higher than 3.55 though.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I had no issues upgrading the hard drive and everything worked as expected.
Backup, replace the HDD, follow the prompts to re-install the same CFW as I was running before, restore data.

Rebug 4.46 PS3 slim console (120GB model), upgraded to 1TB HDD with no problems. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: ohio