Tutorial  Updated

How to install the latest Rebug CFW

UPDATED GUIDE HERE

Finally, I decided to post my guide to installing the latest Rebug CFW on your PS3.

If you're on OFW higher than 3.55, you CAN'T install CFW directly! You need to check if your model is old enough to be hackable (older than June 2011). If you're lucky enough and it is hackable, you can use a hardware flasher (NOR Guide | NAND Guide) to dump your 3.56+ flash, patch it and re-flash it before you can install CFW using the guides below.

If you're on 3.55 or lower OFW, or a hardware flasher patched 3.56+ OFW, or any 4.46 or lower CFW, you can install Rebug 4.46.1 LITE from XMB by following the guide below:

1- Dump your NOR/NAND Flash (optional):
If already on CFW, install latest version of multiMAN CEX, plug in a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive into the right USB port, launch multiMAN under the Game column and go to mmOS > Press
circlebutton.gif
on any file > Open in HEX viewer > Press SELECT > Press START > Export GameOS LV2: Select No > Export HV LV1: Select No > Export FLASH: Select Yes
This creates a backup of your NOR/NAND flash so that you can recover using a hardware flasher in case of a (highly unlikely) brick. It is recommended to do it every time you upgrade/downgrade your CFW just in case something goes wrong.

2- Install Rebug 4.46.1 LITE from XMB:
Download Rebug 4.46.1 LITE from Rebug's website, verify the md5 hash, rename the PUP to PS3UPDAT.PUP, put it on your FAT32 formatted flash drive in PS3\UPDATE, go to System Update and Update via Storage Media. Make sure there's NO original game disk in the drive, NO game is mounted and that you DON'T Update via Internet or else you would risk installing OFW >3.55!

3- Enable QA:
Go to Package Manager > Install Package Files > PS3 Hard Disk and install Rebug Toolbox. Launch it under the Game column, go to Utilities and change Toggle QA Flag to Enabled. This is to ensure easier and safer downgrading.

Notes:
  • OFW 4.55 has been released, make sure you don't accidentally update. You also need a spoofer to connect to PSN (with ban risk).
  • Make sure you use mM 4.46.00 or higher because older versions are not compatible with this CFW.
  • Make sure you install the Rebug Toolbox pkg included inside Package Manager because older versions are not compatible with this CFW.
  • Make sure you use reActPSN v2.27 or higher because older versions might not be fully compatible with this CFW.

Last edited by mschumacher69,

somewhereovertherainbow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay, well i have questions about 4.46 rebug lite..

can i play ps2,psx,psp games on it?
is it hard to find multiman, control fan, and can i use ntfs harddrives for games?

edit: suppose you say no, ehm, is it hard to install cobra/rogero 4.46 over rebug? and can i swap back to rbug from cobra/rogero?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
* PSX is playable on all PS3.
* PSP compatibility is very bad on PS3, and only playable on Cobra/Rogero 4.46 at the moment.
* PS2 kind of depends. You can use PS2 Classics method, which will work on any CFW but compatibility is so-so. You can use Cobra to launch it in ISO format, but they only work best when you have early FAT (20 + 60 GB one).

I do NOT recommend playing PS2 and PSP games on PS3. Regardless of which PS3 model you have, PS2 game lags on PS3 no matter what (you can get it down to 1 frame lag if using composite cable on 480i, no windscreen + filter), and only few PSP games are playable under PS3.

And yes, you can downgrade to 3.55 at any time. Simply turn QA flag on.

somewhereovertherainbow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so better go ps3 for ps3/psx games and ps2 for psx/ps2 games?

edit: how abou emulators.. roms , well , i already have wii for that anyways, but ntfs usb driver compatible is rebug?

mschumacher69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
can someone make a cool video using rebug 4.46 lite.. theres cobra/rogero videos that im sure looks preferable... i think rebugs needs some as weell

I don't believe it's that complicated that it needs a video. It's as simple as putting the pup on ur flash drive and installing it from XMB.

The guide in the OP is clear, just follow it and u'll be fine...

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep your eyes on Rebug for 4.55 with Cobra release soon. No date confirm yet. Here:

I know many are anticipating the release of a REBUG Cobra CFW and wondering what has happened to REBUG. Developer evilsperm of REBUG posted a message to user's with a statement saying "We are still alive" along with a brief progress report of the status of the next release REBUG CFW release, Which will include some new features along with the Cobra 7.0 implementation. See all the details from the CFW Developer evilsperm of this first official announcement from the CFW developers directly

Source from psx-scene.com:

evilsperm of Team REBUG: (Partial Quote)

We are still alive

We were going to release 4.53 but got caught up actually fixing all the cobra patches "Correctly" along with a host of other features.Then just when thing were looking like they were finished 4.55 was released...

So now everything has to be re-patched re-tested and some things need to be tweaked again, then it will be time for a release, but we are not going to release something half assed.

Remember that Rebug innovates and everyone making CFW these days uses Rebug patches not the other way around... So once we have the features we want in there and its working to perfection, only then will there be a release. Sorry that I can not give you all an ETA on a release date
frown.gif

I am happy with rebug 4.46 so far since I was on 3.41 rebug! Stay tuned. :)

Kiaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Is rebug 4.46 still good to run later ps3 games which requires higher firmware (4.55+)?
What will be better if you compare rebug and regoro which has cobra 7 on it?

Kiaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Sweet thank you for confirming that :)

Tbh i feel like i am a bigger fan of rebug because of it is known feautures, QA and installing from xmb straight from any cfw 3.55 sounds pretty good.

Is it really such a huge difference loading ps3 games from external hdd? With rebug you gotta use FAT32 drives unlike cobra 7 which supports playing straight from the ext hdd. Correct me if i am wrong. Most games today are huge but do they normally runs fine even though they are splitted? Any recommentations? Thanks again :)

mschumacher69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweet thank you for confirming that :)

Tbh i feel like i am a bigger fan of rebug because of it is known feautures, QA and installing from xmb straight from any cfw 3.55 sounds pretty good.

Is it really such a huge difference loading ps3 games from external hdd? With rebug you gotta use FAT32 drives unlike cobra 7 which supports playing straight from the ext hdd. Correct me if i am wrong. Most games today are huge but do they normally runs fine even though they are splitted? Any recommentations? Thanks again :)
You shouldn't have any issues playing games with split files from a fat32 external drive on Rebug.

Reactions: Kiaz

mschumacher69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice, i'll give that a go. Thanks for quick reply!
Can mm run my 3.55 fixed games after the update or they need a new fix?
3.55 fixed games should run fine on Rebug, but if some don't, you'll have to restore the original unpatched files. If the game has an update, deleting the game data and reinstalling the original unpatched update would do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Imma make quesadillas for lunch :D +1