Tutorial  Updated

How to install Retrix (Retroarch/Libretro port) for Xbox One

Prerequisite - Requires Dev mode to be activated so you can sideloadd apps. If you don't already have it you can find more information here. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-activate-dev-mode-your-xbox-one-console

libretro_logo.jpg

Retrix(LibretroRT) is a massive project aimed at porting all libretro cores to UWP. It currently supports Nes,Snes,Sega Master System,Sega Game gear, Sega CD, sg 1000, Playstation, Gameboy, Gameboy advance, and many more to be ported soon. This guide will cover installing Retrix for your xbox one console.

[1.] Download ProjectPgeasus (If you already have ProjectPegasus this step doesn't apply)
https://github.com/wiired24/ProjectPegasus/raw/master/ProjectPegasusSetup.exe

[2.] Once Installed just open it up and select RetriX. Now just wait for it to download. All you have to do now is Sideload Retrix on to your Xbox One (If you don't know how, follow the full guide here https://github.com/wiired24/ProjectPegasus/blob/master/binaries/Installing APPX Packages.pdf )

[3.] Enjoy! :yayone:

TEcaQY6.png

Retrix brings with it support for local 2 player something we have not had until now. It also opens the floodgates to every single emulator that is currently inside the scope of the libretro project. You can see a full list here https://github.com/libretro

I had been sitting on releasing Retrix for quite a bit now but it has finally reached a point where it is stable enough for release. Credit goes to Albertofustonini for creating and maintaining the Retrix Project. Credit also goes to @kingtut for advocating for a Libretro/Retroarch port for Xbox One. You can follow current development on the official github page https://github.com/Aftnet/LibretroRT

Last edited by wiired24,

Absestos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.aftnet.net
XP
Country
Italy
i just thought since its not under branches and because he sed he was having problems meant he couldnt get it to work

im not hating on the guy he is doing great work but this whole crashing bug is making it very lame because right now it only works on pc and its hard to get excited when we know its not going to work for xbox one users

Should I take your message as you having tried RetriX on PC and found it stable? As a matter of fact, has anyone tried the app on things other than the Xbox One? You have more time than I do to test RetriX with a variety of games, and it would help me figure out where to look if I knew the stability issues are Xbox specific or the PC is affected as well.

Keep in mind the instability could also be caused by the Libretro core code for the system(s) you are running, something over which I have no control over.
As I said previously, I have neither the time nor the technical ability or the will to get into developing the emulators themselves: my scope in developing RetriX is to create a front end.

If possible, when you find stability issues with a game, I would recommend
1. Get the latest development version of RetroArch
2. Test the same game in the same way
3. If the same crash occurs, open an issue in the relevant Libretro core's git repository

As for game systems, each Libretro core shares little with any other one, so getting the Saturn to work would have no influence on the likelihood of getting the Deramcast working too.

dominater01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should I take your message as you having tried RetriX on PC and found it stable? As a matter of fact, has anyone tried the app on things other than the Xbox One? You have more time than I do to test RetriX with a variety of games, and it would help me figure out where to look if I knew the stability issues are Xbox specific or the PC is affected as well.

Keep in mind the instability could also be caused by the Libretro core code for the system(s) you are running, something over which I have no control over.
As I said previously, I have neither the time nor the technical ability or the will to get into developing the emulators themselves: my scope in developing RetriX is to create a front end.

If possible, when you find stability issues with a game, I would recommend
1. Get the latest development version of RetroArch
2. Test the same game in the same way
3. If the same crash occurs, open an issue in the relevant Libretro core's git repository

As for game systems, each Libretro core shares little with any other one, so getting the Saturn to work would have no influence on the likelihood of getting the Dreamcast working too.
i've tried retrix on pc (not to long) but it seemed stable enough i will test soon and see if it crashes or not at all

well i just thought since you couldnt get n64 or psx meant that the 3d rendering code wasnt working out so i just assumed 3d emulation had problems

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While I haven't tried retrix on PC I can say every game that crashes on Xbox works 100% on Retroarch So I don't think it has anything to do with the Cores themselves.
Have you looked into getting an Xbox yet or are the funds you've acquired not enough where your located?

Absestos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.aftnet.net
XP
Country
Italy
@ploggy did you test against a stable version of retroarch or one of the nightly builds?

As of right now, I am using the cores' development branches, not one of the blessed releases, because some of the changes I need to get them to build and which have been accepted upstream haven't made it to a stable release yet.

@dominater01 the issue with the N64 core ha nothing to do with openGL: the reason I wanted to use that core abs a testbed was that it has both a software rendered as well as the openglES one: the plan was to get it to work in software first and then use that to develop the rest of hardware support in RetriX.

With that not working, I am going to have to try getting the Dreamcast core working at the same time as hardware rendering, since Reicast does not have a software renderer.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

As for the Xbox one, this is Japan and the console is not exactly popular over here: not much luck so far looking at shops in my area.

dominater01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Absestos

games i've tested so far on pc version 1.2.6.0
snes + donkey kong country = beat first level and no crash
nes + super mario bros 1 = Beat first level no crash
original game boy + super mario land = crash
game boy color + wendy every witch way = crash
game boy advance + super mario advance 4 = beat 2 levels
sms + anything = missing required files
game gear + anything = missing required files
sega genesis + anything = missing required files

Last edited by dominater01,

Absestos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.aftnet.net
XP
Country
Italy
For the Megadrive, have you tried Sonic 2 or Sonic 3K? They are the games I test with. Would be curious to know if they work for you too.

Also, have you installed the Mega CD bioses? They should not be required for anything else, but since the core for gg, sms, genesis and mega cd is the same if a game fails to load RetriX assumes it's because of missing BIOS.

Finally, is your Windows 10 32 or 64 bit?

dominater01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Absestos

sonic 2 and 3k both give same error before bios

didnt know i had to install bios for 1 system to make all sega systems run

im currently running 64 bit windows 10

just tried sega genesis with bios installed and im getting same error

Absestos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.aftnet.net
XP
Country
Italy
Ok, This is interesting: Sonic was working for me when developing. I'm going to give it another try and see if I can get it to fail.

All set systems supported by RetriX (no Dreamcast) use the same core, Genesis Plus GX.

wakabayashy

Trophies
Website
www.anime-heart.fr
XP
Country
France

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Absestos I used the latest stable build.

It gives me hope that the PC version of Retrix seems to suffer from the same bug as the Xbox version. If you fix one you fix the other. :) plus it should make debugging easier for you. :)
I thought it would be more difficult getting a Xbox coming from Japan, you may have to import?

Last edited by ploggy, , Reason: Damn my spelling.

blahkamehameha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Few questions I hope someone can answer:

-When leaving the developer mode to switch back to normal mode, do you have to install the ".APPX" package every time? The bottom of the guide seems to imply this.

-In terms of updating Retrix, does it have a way to do this on its own, or will you need to replace the files each time to update?

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Few questions I hope someone can answer:

-When leaving the developer mode to switch back to normal mode, do you have to install the ".APPX" package every time? The bottom of the guide seems to imply this.

-In terms of updating Retrix, does it have a way to do this on its own, or will you need to replace the files each time to update?

1. No - Install it Once and your done

2. Use the client that I wrote you can always grab the latest version of RetriX as it will pull the latest release from github
https://github.com/wiired24/ProjectPegasus

Reactions: blahkamehameha

UnobtaniumGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This might not be the right thread but I'm trying to install this so: Xbox Dev Portal doesn't exist as far as my PC is concerned. I have it on, I have it configured, I even tried opening the port it used on my router for fucks sake, but my computer is just like "nope i don't see a server here" WHEN IT'S LOOKING RIGHT AT A FUCKING SERVER. Could someone help I did not spend £14 on a digital hunk of useless fucking garbage

dominater01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This might not be the right thread but I'm trying to install this so: Xbox Dev Portal doesn't exist as far as my PC is concerned. I have it on, I have it configured, I even tried opening the port it used on my router for fucks sake, but my computer is just like "nope i don't see a server here" WHEN IT'S LOOKING RIGHT AT A FUCKING SERVER. Could someone help I did not spend £14 on a digital hunk of useless fucking garbage
gonna need more info like the steps takin when you set it up

jirkawaggon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
check your adress in browser command bar , I have same tutorill, but in czech language (you can use translator)

http://xboxweb.cz/ziskejte-zdarma-developer-clenstvi/
http://xboxweb.cz/jak-aktivovat-xbox-one-do-developer-modu/

UnobtaniumGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
gonna need more info like the steps takin when you set it up

I enabled Dev Mode and entered the Xbox Portal settings from the Dev Home. I enabled the portal by checking the box, and changed the username and password. I closed the portal settings and entered the IP with port into all of my browsers of choice and nothing happened in any of them.

jirkawaggon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I enabled Dev Mode and entered the Xbox Portal settings from the Dev Home. I enabled the portal by checking the box, and changed the username and password. I closed the portal settings and entered the IP with port into all of my browsers of choice and nothing happened in any of them.
check if you type adress of Xbox in "https://" (for example https://192.168.0.102:11443 ) format because I had probleme that browser automaticly get "http://"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: What.