Hardware How to identify Wii data on SD card by PC?

SkH

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
1,111
Trophies
0
XP
412
Country
Algeria
Hello there.

I just wanted to know if there's any way to identify the Wii data (save or channel) on the SD by PC.

Because what I see now when I insert my SD and look at the private directory is random four letters.

Thanks in advance!
 

Koekje

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2008
Messages
141
Trophies
0
Age
30
Location
In CookieHeaven!
Website
supertosti.furion.nl
XP
70
Country
Netherlands
SkH said:
Hello there.

I just wanted to know if there's any way to identify the Wii data (save or channel) on the SD by PC.

Because what I see now when I insert my SD and look at the private directory is random four letters.

Thanks in advance!
As far as i know, this isn't possible. I have that with the four random letters too, but they are not really random. They are game-based. (Look at the Twilight Hack, the letters are at everyone the same, random or not?)
 

TinyTine

Well-Known Member
Newcomer
Joined
Jan 4, 2007
Messages
69
Trophies
0
XP
190
Country
France
The four letters are not randomly picked.
The first letter indicates the type of data : W is for wiiware, J for snes, R for wii disc, ...
The last letter indicates the region : E for USA, P for PAL, ...
The second and third letters identify the game / channel.

For example : the WLWE folder is for Lost Winds NTSC, RMGP is Super Mario Galaxy PAL, JBDP is Donkey Kong Country 2 PAL virtual console game (snes), ...
 

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Joined
Oct 27, 2002
Messages
23,420
Trophies
2
Age
43
Location
Engine room, learning
XP
14,514
Country
France
You can check the letters on this site : http://www.wiisave.com/gamecodes/

But it could be a great idea to have a programm to recognize thoses filename and show an icon of the game.
http://www.wiisave.com has an app (wiisaver) to manage savegame this way, but I don't like it's GUI. just try it to see if it is enough for you.
 

SkH

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
1,111
Trophies
0
XP
412
Country
Algeria
TinyTine said:
The four letters are not randomly picked.
The first letter indicates the type of data : W is for wiiware, J for snes, R for wii disc, ...
The last letter indicates the region : E for USA, P for PAL, ...
The second and third letters identify the game / channel.

For example : the WLWE folder is for Lost Winds NTSC, RMGP is Super Mario Galaxy PAL, JBDP is Donkey Kong Country 2 PAL virtual console game (snes), ...
Awesome, now I'm not as lost as I was. And I knew that it's not random, I just didn't knew what you knew which is I now know.
grog.gif

QUOTE(Cyan @ Jun 6 2008, 12:16 PM) You can check the letters on this site : http://www.wiisave.com/gamecodes/

But it could be a great idea to have a programm to recognize thoses filename and show an icon of the game.
http://www.wiisave.com has an app (wiisaver) to manage savegame this way, but I don't like it's GUI. just try it to see if it is enough for you.
Yes, I've tried. I also don't like its GUI, and it's very limited.

Would be really great to have an identifier app, only if it's just says the game name and the dir's name for better sorting / identifying.


Any programmer here? I don't think it would be THAT hard to make but I can't program.
 

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2007
Messages
1,770
Trophies
0
Location
the land of lol
XP
528
Country
I also hate the GUI in the prog. PLUS it doesnt recognise well over half of the games.

Anyway, I(we) could easily make a prog that does this, but after thinking about it my methods it would be to "hard code" it all in, not good and hard to keep updated without an online query etc for new games.

Is there is a tool which can open and read the unencrypted header of the saves?

If so it could output the CODE-Name-SIZE, and maybe in the future copy/store and load the icon. Add all the extras like sort by size/region, and a search etc.

I think this would be a great app for on pc, but I also would like the idea of the title lister changed a little for the wii. It would be good if there was a Wii app that dumped the list of all titles, tickets and relevant sizes etc to a .txt on the inserted SD card in the Wii. If this was then read by the app it could add these games and stats to your "collection".

If anyone is interested in this, and would like to help maybe we could get this done.


Also.......

Remember the GameCube tools, the app that had a few windows GUI's for various usefull apps?

What if we "updated" that to Wii Tools, get the original authers approval and include all the old cube apps under "gameCube Mode" :-P and add a few windows wii apps to it too, have them all handy by clicking 1 icon.....hmmm
 

linkinworm

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
May 30, 2008
Messages
1,548
Trophies
0
Age
31
Location
Birmingham (England)
XP
1,343
Country
the middle letters/numbers were thought the of ment the order of release so FZERO was AC i think so that means A=just because its the 1st letter in alphabet C=3rd game relaased so AD would be the 4th game released
 

SkH

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
1,111
Trophies
0
XP
412
Country
Algeria
Slimmmmmm said:
I also hate the GUI in the prog. PLUS it doesnt recognise well over half of the games.

Anyway, I(we) could easily make a prog that does this, but after thinking about it my methods it would be to "hard code" it all in, not good and hard to keep updated without an online query etc for new games.

Is there is a tool which can open and read the unencrypted header of the saves?

If so it could output the CODE-Name-SIZE, and maybe in the future copy/store and load the icon. Add all the extras like sort by size/region, and a search etc.

I think this would be a great app for on pc, but I also would like the idea of the title lister changed a little for the wii. It would be good if there was a Wii app that dumped the list of all titles, tickets and relevant sizes etc to a .txt on the inserted SD card in the Wii. If this was then read by the app it could add these games and stats to your "collection".

If anyone is interested in this, and would like to help maybe we could get this done.


Also.......

Remember the GameCube tools, the app that had a few windows GUI's for various usefull apps?

What if we "updated" that to Wii Tools, get the original authers approval and include all the old cube apps under "gameCube Mode" :-P and add a few windows wii apps to it too, have them all handy by clicking 1 icon.....hmmm
Hm I think for now the best idea is to have an Online databank for new titles.

I'll help you. Also Wiisave have a lot of Game Codes, just to start with something!
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
    Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim: fair but if youre playing dnd here you're doing it for the novelty of ti