Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://yls8.mtheall.com/ninupdates/3ds_nzonehotspots.php?version=v16386

password protected AP: ConsoleNintendo3DS
open AP: attwifi, NZ@McD1 etc

At this point, open AP is the way to go if you want to use the connection with other devices, it is also much less hassle to set up

Okay, I'm going to assume that this was directed at me. If that's the case, what exactly is all of this supposed to mean to me? I don't have any way to actually begin the mac shifting. Just note that I DID have a working Homepass months back, but I stupidly updated to a newer firmware without checking that it would be compatible with the setup I had, and was unable to get it working again right away so I proceeded to do other things for a while. I only came back because of the Pokemon Rumble World release yesterday, and the fact that I haven't any money to buy the Pokediamonds that are required to progress in the game.

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
If your setup was not using a password previously, you are probably good to go. Otherwise you need to get one of those usb dongles (like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320040) that can set itself up as an open AP without relying on the built-in Windows hostednetwork. Some routers can do that as well. On Linux/Mac there is hostapd or ap-hotspot

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
So, I came back after a couple months to see if there was any updates on getting the Homepass working. First thing I tried to do was download the maccheck.cmd, and the page is giving me a "Could not load" error. So I'm going to just go ahead and ask... What all do I need to setup the homepass again, since the most recent update 9.6.0-24U?
Check your antivirus software probably it just blocked file by extension. All the needed stuff is available.

Scytheri0n

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Hello

I was wondering if someone could please help me out a bit regarding Mac OSX installation. I've followed the directions directly (I think) but when it comes down to the sudo command to fake the MAC address, I just keep getting bad request.

Could someone help me out please?

My computer is a Mac running OSX (10.5.8) and it isn't compatible with newer versions
The router I have is the BT Business Hub 3(or 5) and I have tried NintendoSpotPass 1 and 2 SSIDs for the shared network
I'm also from the UK
I tried adding the Wi-Fi phrase to the command but had no luck with it

Thanks in advance
Leon

If you're running Leopard I'm guessing you've still got a PowerPC Mac. Since I don't have access to an old PPC machine I can't test out XZone on it but theoretically it should work. Give XZone a try (link is in my sig), although I doubt it will work OOB without any changes, but then post the log on the GitHub so I can see what needs to be changed for you. You can find the log by opening up Console after you've run XZone at least once. :)

For all other Mac users: Sorry I haven't pushed an update out recently, work has been keeping me far too busy for any hobby projects. :( I'm hoping to release 0.6 soon with quite a few new features and fixes.

Cloud557

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your setup was not using a password previously, you are probably good to go. Otherwise you need to get one of those usb dongles (like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320040) that can set itself up as an open AP without relying on the built-in Windows hostednetwork. Some routers can do that as well. On Linux/Mac there is hostapd or ap-hotspot

Yeah, using abbreviations like "AP" just isn't helping. AP stands for what again?

Check your antivirus software probably it just blocked file by extension. All the needed stuff is available.

Lovely issue I'm having... I was able to download both of the things in your initial post, but whenever I attempt to start the nzone.exe, the application just disappears without starting at all. When I tried running it as admin (I had been using Command Prompt to start with like your instructions), it gives an error and deletes the nzone.exe from my computer.

RealLupo

Trophies
XP
Country
If you're running Leopard I'm guessing you've still got a PowerPC Mac. Since I don't have access to an old PPC machine I can't test out XZone on it but theoretically it should work. Give XZone a try (link is in my sig), although I doubt it will work OOB without any changes, but then post the log on the GitHub so I can see what needs to be changed for you. You can find the log by opening up Console after you've run XZone at least once. :)

For all other Mac users: Sorry I haven't pushed an update out recently, work has been keeping me far too busy for any hobby projects. :( I'm hoping to release 0.6 soon with quite a few new features and fixes.
Thank you for the reply

Really sorry, but GitHub has confused me so if it is okay, I uploaded the log to dropbox haha

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xz81wnlesu8aaf0/system.log?dl=0

DVDRW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Today I started using HomePass. Quite the hassle to get it working.
I've got it working by manually spoofing the mac of my Asus USB-N13 B1.

I've read that you should not cycle through all the macs. Is it a problem if i cycle through all the prime macs in one hour? What could happen? For me it is acceptable to spoof 16 macs manual so i will stay with only them.

Are there other macs I should check out?

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Today I started using HomePass. Quite the hassle to get it working.
I've got it working by manually spoofing the mac of my Asus USB-N13 B1.

I've read that you should not cycle through all the macs. Is it a problem if i cycle through all the prime macs in one hour? What could happen? For me it is acceptable to spoof 16 macs manual so i will stay with only them.

Are there other macs I should check out?

You can just configure that AP through Asus' utility (make sure it is open), then use MACycle to take care of the cycling. It will be much easier.

DVDRW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You can just configure that AP through Asus' utility (make sure it is open), then use MACycle to take care of the cycling. It will be much easier.
Thanks for the tip! Gonna try that.
What should the AP name be? NZ@McD1? I use that one at the moment.
At this moment I use macshift but when I change it I have to remove the USB Dongle. Could that happen with MACycle to?

DVDRW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nope, you should not have to remove the dongle. The wifi connection will break off after the mac address change and reconnect again.
Started using MACycle. The connection still drops and will not reconnect after a mac change. When the next mac comes it changes and reconnects. It skips one mac.
Besides that, it works great! :lol:

Scytheri0n

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country

It's not a problem if you cycle through the prime MACs within an hour, but bear in mind you'll only be able to do this once every 8 hours as there is an 8 hour "cool down" period set by the DS that prevents StreetPass "spamming".

DVDRW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's not a problem if you cycle through the prime MACs within an hour, but bear in mind you'll only be able to do this once every 8 hours as there is an 8 hour "cool down" period set by the DS that prevents StreetPass "spamming".
Thanks for the answer. Thought there would be another reason. The 8 Hour cooldown is no problem now MACycle is working great.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is a unified script you only need to make a hompass MAC change for:
- Windows 7 and above
- Ubuntu or Debian Linux (newer Ubuntu 14 still may have a problems?)
- routers with DD-WRT firmware (not supported by Ralink-based routers, and most probably micro builds and build older than 21xxx)
- routers with ASUS WL-5xx and RT-N1x custom firmware
- routers with OpenWrt (in debug phase, testing is appreciated)

I just tried your script for the first time and I'm absolutely blown away. Not only is it - by far - the most easy method to use and setup, it also works surprisingly good. The 10 spots of the Streetpass Mii Plaza are filled within a few minutes. ALBW, the game for which I originally started streetpassing, is normally a rather 'difficult' game to streetpass. In my area, I only got one match in ~20 'regular' Streetpasses so far. With your script, all 20 slots filled within 2 or 3 hours. Great! So, a big thank you from me.

I combined your script with my hosts-file method of blocking updates (only the part of the hosts file of course, as your script handles the rest automagically). Maybe your script already has some protection inbuilt, or it is impossible to get the update nag for other reasons (is it?), but you can never be too safe.

FMMax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to be such a newb, however, I purchased a Netgear N300 USB Wifi Adapter the other day, sure that I had read somewhere (here or elsewhere discussing Homepass) that it was usable with the VMware method, however, I get a series of errors and nothing works.
10446723_1081604901856320_875340640838212628_n.jpg

Stoned

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry to be such a newb, however, I purchased a Netgear N300 USB Wifi Adapter the other day, sure that I had read somewhere (here or elsewhere discussing Homepass) that it was usable with the VMware method, however, I get a series of errors and nothing works.
10446723_1081604901856320_875340640838212628_n.jpg

Me to

FMMax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope that we may find our answers soon. If my adapter isn't compatible I'd like to know as soon as possible so I may return it and purchase one that is. I live in an area where most of the street passes I get are from people with little or nothing to offer back.

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gonna pop-in/out real quick...

Using DD-WRT Homepass NZ router. Going to try Supernetting with NZ router to stop MAC IP dumping into main network. But that's not my question. My questions:

Q1: If I have my attwifi and NZ@McD1 signals unprotected and am using MAC filter for my 3DS, must I make connections in my 3DS' internet settings to receive Streetpasses and Nintendo Zone?

Q2: Is there a way to broadcast streetpasses to passers from my router without them having to setup the connection in their 3DS? The same way one 3DS sends to another 3DS without having to connect the two/while in sleep mode?

If I am using MAC filter, can they still get streetpasses from that router? Or must I completely open up my router?

Want to share homepass with passers, but not my internet connection.

Am I making any sense?

Scytheri0n

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Q1: If I have my attwifi and NZ@McD1 signals unprotected and am using MAC filter for my 3DS, must I make connections in my 3DS' internet settings to receive Streetpasses and Nintendo Zone?

Nope. You don't need to set up the internet connection. Your 3DS will see the SSID and attempt to connect, at which point the router says "Stop! What's your MAC?". When the 3DS responds with a MAC that is on the whitelist, it's allowed to obtain an IP address and connect. Any device with a MAC that is not on the whitelist will be prevented from connecting at that point and disassociate. It's not perfect security by any definition, since MAC addresses are so easily spoofed (which is how XZone and NZone work).

Q2: Is there a way to broadcast streetpasses to passers from my router without them having to setup the connection in their 3DS? The same way one 3DS sends to another 3DS without having to connect the two/while in sleep mode?

AFAIK, no. From what I gather, 3DS's periodically wake from sleep (on a low level) and send out a connection/information request as well as listen out for one. There would be software and data behind this (games will provide data to the StreetPass routine so it knows what to send) which you would need to host on your router and I doubt that exists.

If I am using MAC filter, can they still get streetpasses from that router? Or must I completely open up my router?

The StreetPasses you receive come from a Nintendo server on the internet. See above as to why devices that aren't on the whitelist won't be able to connect to the internet and get StreetPasses. So yes, you'll need to completely open your router in order to allow the public access to StreetPass data.

If the router is being used solely for this purpose (HomePass), you could set up a DNS server on it that would re-route all traffic EXCEPT that to the StreetPass servers to localhost, effectively blocking that router from accessing anything online besides StreetPass. This obviously wouldn't make sense to do if the router is your sole connection to the outside world though, or if you want to use eShop or anything else internet related on your 3DS (unless you expand on the DNS records to allow that). :P

Psionatix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have the Virtual Machine method working using my laptops internal wifi adapter as internet access and a TP-Link WN822N usb adapter.

I'm not familiar with linux, or whatever it is, and I'm wondering if there are any commands to manually shift the macs? If there are, how would I go about using them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gray zone warfare looks kinda cool
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ohhh on one episode they could use rings to summon Captain Criminal who is just Obama like a spoof of Captain Planet lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does look good
    By your powers combined, hmmm where is Epstein?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just another shit fps clone
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought it was some warzone dlc bs
    Looks like an enhanced Far cry 1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's a far cry from it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it a free to play bs, pay to get any good weapon/gear
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not free to play but $35
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Inb4 kiiwii gives it a 0/10
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    6/10 rating on steam
    I would like a Predator game "Kill Team" it takes place in the Jungle of the first movie, your team is sent to hunt the predator, using current tech drones and a trained team. Set traps use strategy to hunt and trap or kill the predator.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ill stick with my Battlefield. Yea a predator hunting game like that would be cool. Esp if you can be Arnold and say "Get to da choppa"
    +1
    Maybe Arnold could do a cameo voice acting, he is the one briefing you on the mission
    +1
    Honestly surprised they didn't make a tie in game for Predators that movie was awesome
    I was kinda sad the Yakuza guy died sword fighting a predator lol
    The Russian guy went out like a boss
    Double claymores to the face definitely kill a predator lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went today and looked at a motorcycle someone was selling. I get there and the battery on it was dead, so the guy grabbed a battery charger and hooked it up. He plugged it into the wall, and the motorcycle sparked and started smoking. Come to find out the bike uses a 6 volt battery and the guy had the charger set to 12v. I said sorry to the dude and walked away. I felt bad for him tho.
    Sounds like it would be an exciting ride....
    Not sure I would want something on fire between my legs
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not sure I would want something on fire between my legs