Status
Not open for further replies.

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay... so that leaves me back to the supernetting and dmz, if I point the mac at an ip that has been set to be in the dmz then have the rest of the dhcp pool point to a non wan receiving IP then would that solve my problem?

I'm running my homepass from behind my main network connected to FiOS. (shoulda told you that in 1st post)

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if...

I setup the NZ zone router with open connections and no MAC filter, using DMZ block passers from using my internet, and just connect to my main wifi network with my 3DS which isn't on the supernet.

Would my 3DS still get streetpasses from the NZ router even though it is connected to my main network wifi? I don't have to have the homepass router in my settings connections but it will still get the hits and passers can get the hits but not access internet.

So I wouldn't be handing out free internet but I would be handing out streetpasses... meanwhile my 3DS has internet access from my main network router.

Allied

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I hope that we may find our answers soon. If my adapter isn't compatible I'd like to know as soon as possible so I may return it and purchase one that is. I live in an area where most of the street passes I get are from people with little or nothing to offer back.

I would also greatly appreciate some confirmed info on which USB adapters work with the vmware method, as I'm looking to set it up and want to purchase something that works.

Reactions: FMMax

Scytheri0n

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Okay... so that leaves me back to the supernetting and dmz, if I point the mac at an ip that has been set to be in the dmz then have the rest of the dhcp pool point to a non wan receiving IP then would that solve my problem?

I'm running my homepass from behind my main network connected to FiOS. (shoulda told you that in 1st post)

What if...

I setup the NZ zone router with open connections and no MAC filter, using DMZ block passers from using my internet, and just connect to my main wifi network with my 3DS which isn't on the supernet.

Would my 3DS still get streetpasses from the NZ router even though it is connected to my main network wifi? I don't have to have the homepass router in my settings connections but it will still get the hits and passers can get the hits but not access internet.

So I wouldn't be handing out free internet but I would be handing out streetpasses... meanwhile my 3DS has internet access from my main network router.

That all seems highly complex for something that a simple DNS route could handle. You can use d0k3's guide here to find some of the domains you'll need to create records for, although I'm guessing here that just creating a record for the nintendowifi.net TLD would work (working under the assumption that the StreetPass servers fall under that TLD), and then let the DNS forward other requests to 127.0.0.1 (which will block access for anything non-NintendoWifi). Through logging DNS requests, you can find out what TLDs to forward for specific functionality in games etc. if you want to allow them on the HomePass too.

The NZ router NEEDS internet access (at least to the StreetPass server addresses) so I don't see how you could use a DMZ to allow only StreetPass traffic. Besides which, from what I gather, you'll want to double NAT your network anyway to protect the DMZ and your internal network and that'll play havoc with pretty much everything on that network. I will admit to not really knowing much about DMZ's and how they work, however, and the fact that you're trying to use it in the reverse of how one is generally used (that is, you want to use it to protect "insiders" from "getting out" as opposed to "outsiders getting in") is confusing me a little.

As for your last question, no. If you're connected to your home network, your 3DS can't pick up StreetPasses from your NZ network. To do that, it would have to disassociate from your AP and then connect to the NZ AP until it receives the data, then reverse all that. Or it would need a second NIC, which it doesn't have. Also, for HomePass to work, you can't have the NZ connection listed under settings.

If you think about it, if you went somewhere with an actual StreetPass relay (such as Nintendo World), you wouldn't have access to your home WiFi would you? So connections that are set up will always take preference over a StreetPass relay (because the likelihood of you being in an area with a WiFi AP you know is higher).

Hope I explained everything adequately. :) PM if you've got more questions, I feel this is getting a tiny bit off-topic for this thread. :P

nuvandibe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using NZone. I have two issues right now.

First issue: No streetpasses. Ethernet connected, Local Area Connection internet shared with Wireless Network Connection 3 (Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter), MAC is cycling just fine on WNC3. New 3DS XL is able to see the Nintendo Zone hotspot. 3DS has no saved networks. WNC3 (miniport adapter) status says Internet beside IPv4 Connectivity.

Second issue: I need to put my homepass in a place far away from my router, so it needs to be connected through wifi. I have a laptop with two wi-fi adapters. My hostednetwork should be on wifi1, and wifi2 should be connected to my hotspot. My problem is that when nzone disables wifi1, the hostednetwork automatically puts itself on wifi2, which is the one connecting to the internet and set to share its connection, because Windows 7 automatically seeks out any enabled Wi-Fi adapter. If I then disable and enable wifi2, it puts itself back on wifi1, and then I have to start the hostednetwork again via command prompt. I think it can work this way once I get issue 1 solved, but it's not exactly an automated process.

Scytheri0n

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Girls and guys. What USB adapted should we buy? Please.

Check out Syphos 's post here. Although the info is technically for Windows, there shouldn't be any reason why Linux can't spoof MACs in VMWare if Windows can do it.
I have the Virtual Machine method working using my laptops internal wifi adapter as internet access and a TP-Link WN822N usb adapter.

I'm not familiar with linux, or whatever it is, and I'm wondering if there are any commands to manually shift the macs? If there are, how would I go about using them?

Try ifconfig to change the MACs. If you need some info on how it works, typing 'man ifconfig' at the command line will show you the manual. :)

Allied

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Check out Syphos 's post here. Although the info is technically for Windows, there shouldn't be any reason why Linux can't spoof MACs in VMWare if Windows can do it.

Try ifconfig to change the MACs. If you need some info on how it works, typing 'man ifconfig' at the command line will show you the manual. :)

Thanks. But we are talking about passthrough to a VM. Never clear-cut. I'll go with something that someone has definitely had working. The TL-WN823N adapter mentioned sounds fine.

FMMax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried several methods mentioned in this thread. I am just going to assume my adapter isn't compatible. I'll wait for more people posting what they have working and buy another one.

morter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I'm at a loss. I used to use the simple Windows 7 method + MACycle, and that would get me what I'd need, but now it seems the only way to do this is with nzone.exe.

I've since moved, and currently don't have a wired connection to my desktop. However, I do have a spare laptop using Windows 7 (Starter? It's a 2010 EEEPC that seems to work just like windows normally would), but when I try the nzone method, I keep getting a Microsoft VBScript runtime error, and I've tried everything to the letter, even following some video guides.

So is there a way to do this for windows without the nzone method? If not, what is a cheap and easy thing to buy in order to do mac cycling with a dedicated router or machine separate from my desktop?

Thank you.

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Okay I'm at a loss. I used to use the simple Windows 7 method + MACycle, and that would get me what I'd need, but now it seems the only way to do this is with nzone.exe.

I've since moved, and currently don't have a wired connection to my desktop. However, I do have a spare laptop using Windows 7 (Starter? It's a 2010 EEEPC that seems to work just like windows normally would), but when I try the nzone method, I keep getting a Microsoft VBScript runtime error, and I've tried everything to the letter, even following some video guides.

So is there a way to do this for windows without the nzone method? If not, what is a cheap and easy thing to buy in order to do mac cycling with a dedicated router or machine separate from my desktop?

Thank you.

1. For Windows, get a usb wifi dongle that supports at least Windows XP (that way you can tell it is not relying on hostednetwork for setting itself up as AP), like Asus USB-N13

2. Install/dual-boot Ubuntu, and figure out how to use ap-hotspot/hostapd (it is similar to hostednetwork but allows itself to be configured as open AP on Linux)

3. One of the Spillpass setups for raspberry pi (which also relies on hostapd)

1 is probably the easiest, as 2/3 requires some working knowledge of Ubuntu/Linux. All 3 options require a second network interface (apart from the homepass AP) with internet access, which can be either wired or wireless

xBleedingSoulx

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Any idea why when I use nzone.exe I get the error: "No hosted network compatible wireless interfaces found", even though I've used hosted network and older versions of homepass with my wireless adapter several times in the past?
-Edit-Nevermind, my adapter's driver had apparently become corrupt, a quick driver delete and reinstall sorted it.

schweppes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have an extra router set up named attwifi with open connection and the mac address is changed to one of the approved ones.

The 3ds connects to the internet, blue light appears and all, but doesn't get any tags with the international street pass week.

Is there something I'm missing?

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Try SSID: NZ@McD1 (case sensitive)
MAC: 00:16:C8:17:8B:12

It gets you the golden Mii Mr. Shibata and 6 international StreetPasses.
But how can I get the theme?

BeNiSh

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
shortly - it's International StreetPass Week and I want get free theme and official Shibata mii. so I set up SSID to NZ@McD1 on my DDWRT router with WLAN MAC 4E:53:50:4F:4F:46, zone app icon starts blinking, run zone app, some loading, show international streetpass themed background, again some loading and then gives me error - FEHLER: Tut uns leid! Der Inhalt, auf den du zugreifen mochtest, ist hier leider nicht verfugbar. (translator says it means "ERROR: Sorry ! The content to which you liked accessed here unfortunately not translated."). internet and homepass works fine through this router, I even tried use MAC address from german McDonald, which I found in MACs list - 00:16:C8:17:8B:12, but nintendo zone still with same results. no blue spotpass icon, no theme, no Shibata :(

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
shortly - it's International StreetPass Week and I want get free theme and official Shibata mii. so I set up SSID to NZ@McD1 on my DDWRT router with WLAN MAC 4E:53:50:4F:4F:46, zone app icon starts blinking, run zone app, some loading, show international streetpass themed background, again some loading and then gives me error - FEHLER: Tut uns leid! Der Inhalt, auf den du zugreifen mochtest, ist hier leider nicht verfugbar. (translator says it means "ERROR: Sorry ! The content to which you liked accessed here unfortunately not translated."). internet and homepass works fine through this router, I even tried use MAC address from german McDonald, which I found in MACs list - 00:16:C8:17:8B:12, but nintendo zone still with same results. no blue spotpass icon, no theme, no Shibata :(
With the MAC I posted earlier,it's possible to get Shibata. Just close your 3DS, if a StreetPass comes, open it, then you can open the StreetPass Mii Plaza, but you don't have to. Close your 3DS again, wait for the blue light! BTW, the German text is the same at me too. I even tried to set my 3DS to German, but it didn't help. So I got international StreetPasses, got Shibata, but no theme. And you don't have to be updated, I'm on 9.5.0-22E. And I use DD-WRT too, so I don't know what's the problem.

morter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. For Windows, get a usb wifi dongle that supports at least Windows XP (that way you can tell it is not relying on hostednetwork for setting itself up as AP), like Asus USB-N13

I was using a USB wifi dongle before the whole hostednetwork obstacle popped up. How do I know if what I have--or any wifi dongle I plan to buy--doesn't have to rely on it? And what do I do once I get one? Please elaborate, thank you. :)

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Usually it would have its own utility for configuring passwords or security scheme etc. There should be an option for having open security (no passwords)

FMMax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I'm using a USB Wireless dongle, do I need to do anything other than follow the VMware steps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Good idea