Status
Not open for further replies.

grivad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just went reading up a bit and seen so many people waste their time with the Windows method that (and I have said it before, many times now ;) ) people are better off buying a cheap router (approximately €/$20,- is enough for a compatible router) and do it that way. You will not be disappointed (installing DD-WRT and the script only takes about 5 minutes) and you do not need to mess up your Windows configuration.
Why to spend money when you can simply use Ubuntu? it isn't really hard to use, it's free and you can boot it from a Virtual Machine.

I can drop in here and say that I tried everything before going the DD-WRT route.. several Windows methods and different Windows versions (8, 7, XP), Ubuntu/Windows VMs, booting straight to Ubuntu off external devices, etc. Some (most?) USB dongles just will not work properly and won't change the MAC on the fly without an unplug/replug or reboot, and even those that have chipsets that are confirmed to work don't always work as expected. They didn't for me, across several different pieces of hardware and several different machines. The only thing that worked for me was using DD-WRT, and it worked right off the bat (once I flashed the correct DD-WRT build), and works perfectly. I spent weeks of time and headache trying to get the other methods to work. What's worth more: several, several hours of headache and your time wasted, or $40 for it to work right away? I can definitely vouch for going the DD-WRT route.

Koldur

Virtual Boy Ambassador
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
All those are valid arguments, except the electricity bill, because you use your computer a lot of time anyway and i don't think you would use your computer 24/7 just to streetpass, but well it is a valid argument too, still, learning your way through something new is satisfactory nonetheless. Just don't give up people.

I totally agree on the fact that you can learn a lot going the Linux way, but not everyone is looking to learn anything about Linux, a lot of people come here because they have a 3DS and want to use StreetPass to its full potential. But for more than a few people it is the way to go.

I can drop in here and say that I tried everything before going the DD-WRT route.. several Windows methods and different Windows versions (8, 7, XP), Ubuntu/Windows VMs, booting straight to Ubuntu off external devices, etc. Some (most?) USB dongles just will not work properly and won't change the MAC on the fly without an unplug/replug or reboot, and even those that have chipsets that are confirmed to work don't always work as expected. They didn't for me, across several different pieces of hardware and several different machines. The only thing that worked for me was using DD-WRT, and it worked right off the bat (once I flashed the correct DD-WRT build), and works perfectly. I spent weeks of time and headache trying to get the other methods to work. What's worth more: several, several hours of headache and your time wasted, or $40 for it to work right away? I can definitely vouch for going the DD-WRT route.

This is indeed the point I was trying to make, I am happy it worked out so well for you going the DD-WRT way. I like to see it this way, how many hours of fun do you get from using the router as a StreetPass Relay? If the answer is: more than 20 hours, then it is worth it. How much does the average game cost? Indeed, more than €/$20 and (while some games exceed the 20 hours by far of course) most games do not get you more than 20 hours of gametime.

darren42

Trophies
XP
Country
I had a pretty easy time setting up a streetpass relay on a windows 7 computer. Though I did have to go through a few failed attempts on two other computers before success with a third. Most of my computers have a wired connection to the internet, so not being able to use the wireless on them wasn't a concern for me. For me if I could get this working without spending money then that would be my first choice.

So when I load up my 3DS and input the information, it finds attwifi as a spot and I can select it. It connects my 3DS to the access point on steps 1 -> 2 in connection test .. but fails between the Access Point and the Internet on steps 2 -> 3. What am I doing wrong? ;_; I double checked that the pass is correct so it's not that.

I mean worse comes to worse I don't mind buying a cheap router but if I could get it to work like this it'd be awesome. >_<

Did you remember to setup the internet connection sharing from your wired connection to the virutal wireless adaptor?

Cheesecakey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you remember to setup the internet connection sharing from your wired connection to the virutal wireless adaptor?

I'm really computer illiterate so unless it was stated in the directions .. then I didn't do it. And I don't recall seeing something like this so .. how do I do that? T_T

I didn't use a program ( like Virtual Router? ), I just had those 3 lines in the command prompt. When I tried to use Virtual Router it was very buggy. It crashed a lot and when I could get it to Start it would give me errors .. something along the lines of it being unable to implement the action or something. Which is why I just went with methods that excluded the program and worked from the command prompt entirely.

( thanks for the help btw! )

darren42

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm really computer illiterate so unless it was stated in the directions .. then I didn't do it. And I don't recall seeing something like this so .. how do I do that? T_T

I didn't use a program ( like Virtual Router? ), I just had those 3 lines in the command prompt. When I tried to use Virtual Router it was very buggy. It crashed a lot and when I could get it to Start it would give me errors .. something along the lines of it being unable to implement the action or something. Which is why I just went with methods that excluded the program and worked from the command prompt entirely.

( thanks for the help btw! )

Navigate to the following folder on your computer (Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections). Then right click the network adaptor that is connected to the internet and select properties. Go to the sharing tab and tick the box next to "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection". In the drop down options menu under "Home networking connection" select your virtual wireless adaptor and click ok.

Cheesecakey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Navigate to the following folder on your computer (Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections). Then right click the network adaptor that is connected to the internet and select properties. Go to the sharing tab and tick the box next to "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection". In the drop down options menu under "Home networking connection" select your virtual wireless adaptor and click ok.

I actually JUST came back to post that I looked this up after posting .. only to find that I have no 'Sharing' tab when I click on Properties for my wired connection .. ? :/ I'm at a total loss. Why wouldn't the tab be there?

flokows

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Check what the actual mac address that the virtual hotspot is using and compare it to the one you tried to spoof.

Setup the virtual hotspot using the following commands and configure internet connection sharing.

Code:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=attwifi key=12345678

macshift -i "Wi-Fi" 4E53504F4F46

netsh wlan start hostednetwork

When you open up the status page for the virtual wireless network adaptor does it show that it has internet access next to "IPv4 Connectivity"?

yes..

aucgeh.jpg

i dont know why the 3ds does not connect to internet Oo

JarieSuicune

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure it's the Ethernet Adapter that's got Sharing turned on. Then, go back to the Networks page and select the Internet connection, and turn it's Internet Sharing on for the attwifi as well.

I still have a problem though. Which Adapter is supposed to have it's Mac Address changed to access different Spot Pass locations? Is the the Ethernet, the Wireless (Wi-Fi), or the Virtual (attwifi)?

flokows

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Make sure it's the Ethernet Adapter that's got Sharing turned on. Then, go back to the Networks page and select the Internet connection, and turn it's Internet Sharing on for the attwifi as well.

I still have a problem though. Which Adapter is supposed to have it's Mac Address changed to access different Spot Pass locations? Is the the Ethernet, the Wireless (Wi-Fi), or the Virtual (attwifi)?

2u74yfa.jpg

yeah shared wired to virtual

JarieSuicune

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm. Ok, then, on your 3DS, you still have it set properly to the network (ignoring whether or not it passes the internet test), yes?
If so, then check the Nintendo Zone if it glows, and also if it shows Internet in the Wifi notification (top left of screen). And see if the Browser can access any site.
Sometimes it just fails the test, but still has succeeded to connect right. That's what happened to me at first. Since then, the test works right, but even when it failed I still could access the 'net just fine.

flokows

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hm. Ok, then, on your 3DS, you still have it set properly to the network (ignoring whether or not it passes the internet test), yes?
If so, then check the Nintendo Zone if it glows, and also if it shows Internet in the Wifi notification (top left of screen). And see if the Browser can access any site.
Sometimes it just fails the test, but still has succeeded to connect right. That's what happened to me at first. Since then, the test works right, but even when it failed I still could access the 'net just fine.

the "Nintendo zone" glows, in top of screen shows internet, but he can't access websites .. =\

JarieSuicune

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Comparing the details for your attwifi with mine, you're missing ipv6 (Internet Protocol Version 6) on it... Right click it and go to Properties, see if it has any ipv6 options? I don't know if that will make a difference though. -_-;

flokows

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Comparing the details for your attwifi with mine, you're missing ipv6 (Internet Protocol Version 6) on it... Right click it and go to Properties, see if it has any ipv6 options? I don't know if that will make a difference though. -_-;

I activated and deactivated, but still did not connect. =(

Kervidgen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like the Relay Points are soon being upgraded to give 6 passes per Nintendo Zone instead of 1. Here's a link to a Joystiq's blurb about it for those who missed the Nintendo Direct that announced this news.

syrusdark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I wonder if that Relay upgrade will also somehow change how the whole system works (thus stopping the Homepass from working)... If it doesn't, then it's great news :P

JarieSuicune

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be nice if it made it so we Passed other countries, not just the last 6 people to go through... (which would also render HomePass mostly pointless, but still useful, assuming it stays working).

So, I've not been able to find out: What Mac Address matters to make HomePass work?
-Ethernet Adapter (wired Internet)
-Wireless Adapter ('Wi-Fi', for the Homepass access)
-Virtual Miniport ('attwifi', the virtual wifi modem)

JRave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first MAC Address the 3DS connects to with the attwifi SSID is the one that matters. Your list seems off to me, but then I don't use the Windows virtual miniport way for HomePass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Depends everyone mixing their flour now days