[HOW-TO] Have a homemade Streetpass Relay

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by dicamarques, Aug 9, 2013.

?
  1. Linux

90 vote(s)
    7.8%
  2. Android

132 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. Router

225 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. Windows

418 vote(s)
    36.3%
  5. A pony with a wifi antenna O.o?

286 vote(s)
    24.8%
  1. acaciaKS

acaciaKS Member

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2013
    United States
    Except the NZ rSP has not worked for me for almost two months! I visit SB and McD regularly... haven't got anything after the first week when they started the relay. Maybe I should buy a 2DS.

2. triumph01

triumph01 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2013
    Gambia, The

Try to turn off WIFI on your S2 before starting tethering. And you have to enable 3G.

3. acaciaKS

acaciaKS Member

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2013
    United States
    That means, unfortunately, that your Wi-Fi card won't allow a virtual port to be attached to it. I had the same problem on three laptops that have Atheros Wi-Fi cards. You may want to just get an *inexpensive* USB Wi-Fi adapter; people seem to have success with these things. They cost as low as $15 online.

Good luck.

4. acaciaKS

acaciaKS Member

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2013
    United States
    Re second part: I think you're right. The macshift program seems to set some soft-MAC, but the Wi-Fi adapter itself may not actually allow MAC spoofing. I had the same problem as Cosmecin. ipconfig /all told me the adapter had the spoofed MAC, but over a span of 2 weeks I never received a single rSP via HomePass.

5. acaciaKS

acaciaKS Member

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2013
    United States
    That's why if you plan to buy a router to do this, better not spend more than 20 bucks! :D

6. Element

Element Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2008
    United States
    Still don't work.

7. LD560

LD560 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 14, 2009
    Solved my problem. The drivers needed to be uninstalled and re-installed.

However I have decided not to use Virtual Router this time. I am currently just using the command prompt and receiving hits.

However if anyone would like to suggest a program instead then that would be great, as I have to keep setting up the network lol..

8. triumph01

triumph01 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Do you have given superuser rights to wifi tether?

Do you have Jelly Bean?

9. Ammako

Ammako I like cake.

Dec 22, 2009
    Antarctica
    The Android method doesn't seem to work.
    My 3DS detects that Nintendo Zone service is available here and my phone keeps telling me my 3DS is connected to the hotspot, but my 3DS doesn't receive any streetpasses.

10. internetakias

internetakias GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2009
    Greece
    Huh, whenever I try to use Macshift or MACycle the Wi-Fi adapter disables itself. Any idea why this is happening? I'm on 64bit Windows 7 and I'm using a wired connection to connect to the internet

11. Element

Element Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2008
    United States
    Yep. I'm with Paranoid android 3.68(Or something like that) which is 4.2.2

12. triumph01

triumph01 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Ok I havent tried it with 4.2.2. Not sure if this works.

But the most Problems peaople get with Android is, that they haven't rootet their phone correctly.
    If the phone is rootet you have to install superuser (or a similar app) and busybox.
    After you have set up everything correctly, you have to turn 3G on and wifi off, before starting wifi thether app!!

13. Akotan

Akotan Mathematical!

Mar 14, 2004
    Brazil
    Finally I got homemade Streetpasses using a rooted Android phone and Riilay app! Nice! :D

I have a Galaxy Nexus running JB 4.3.

14. darren42

darren42 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 8, 2013
    You can write a simple little batch script to automate the process of setting up the hotspot connect. The internet connection sharing part will need to be done manually, but you can leave the sharing enabled so you only to enable it once.

15. keyra

keyra Spoderman self proclamed fan

Dec 23, 2008
    France
    hmm... so he finally found a way for 4.3

16. Element

Element Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2008
    United States
    Tried again, now it says on the log that it failed to setup the MAC address.

17. Akotan

Akotan Mathematical!

Mar 14, 2004
    Brazil
    I posted what I did here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/android-...thod-on-your-phone.353091/page-7#post-4793669

But it is working like this: Riilay uses busybox to change MAC addresses but no matter how long I wait my 3DS gets just one Streetpass. I checked if Riilay is really changing the MAC address after the first attempt (and it is) but I don't know why it gets only one Streetpass...

Can't wait to get 6 Streetpasses by default as Nintendo promised in the last Nintendo Direct.

18. LD560

LD560 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 14, 2009
    Has anyone had trouble getting any Street Pass hits for Mario and Sonic 2012 Virtual Card album?

I cant seem to get any hits for this and would really like to finish the last part of my collection off? (Only a few cards away :) )

Any particular MAC addresses that anyone would recommend?

19. Shade2074

Shade2074 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Is there a way to get this to work with an ASUS RT-AC66R router?

20. Sidney_Bl

Sidney_Bl Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 8, 2013
    Hi. I'm frome Europe. Since this morning I've been receiving more than one Mii at a time through my homemade StreetPass relay (sometimes 3, sometimes 5). It seems Nintendo have finallly activated that option, but I want somebody to confirm this. Have you noticed anything different today?

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted