Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi

I have somehow miraculously managed to set up a homepass relay using a D-Link router and dd-wrt. I can get streetpass hits if I manually change the MAC, but don't know how to implement the script for changing MACs automatically. Surely it's not as easy as pasting the little bit of code in a post on page 10 into the admin part of the web interface of the router? It's not working, anyhow. Can somebody please tell me what I should be doing? I'm not very techy so instructions for an idiot would be appreciated. I have found some of the instructions here difficult because I just don't have enough knowledge to know what you're talking about.

Thanks in advance

Koldur

Virtual Boy Ambassador
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi

I have somehow miraculously managed to set up a homepass relay using a D-Link router and dd-wrt. I can get streetpass hits if I manually change the MAC, but don't know how to implement the script for changing MACs automatically. Surely it's not as easy as pasting the little bit of code in a post on page 10 into the admin part of the web interface of the router? It's not working, anyhow. Can somebody please tell me what I should be doing? I'm not very techy so instructions for an idiot would be appreciated. I have found some of the instructions here difficult because I just don't have enough knowledge to know what you're talking about.

Thanks in advance

What D-Link router and what version (mini/micro/small and version number) of DD-WRT did you install?
You can always try this script! Works for me, as I do not like to be reliable on someone else's internet (just put it in the cron tab and apply):

Code:
0-59/6 * * * * root ifconfig eth1 down && ifconfig eth1 hw ether 40:53:50:4F:4F:`/bin/cat /proc/interrupts | /usr/bin/md5sum | /usr/bin/cut -b 1``/bin/cat /proc/interrupts | /usr/bin/md5sum | /usr/bin/cut -b 1` && ifconfig eth1 up
3-59/6 * * * * root ifconfig eth1 down && ifconfig eth1 hw ether 4E:53:50:4F:4F:`/bin/cat /proc/interrupts | /usr/bin/md5sum | /usr/bin/cut -b 1``/bin/cat /proc/interrupts | /usr/bin/md5sum | /usr/bin/cut -b 1` && ifconfig eth1 up

Reactions: Beyondlsd

Cerepol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm having trouble getting it to work with the Win7 tutorial, as far as I can tell I'm following the guide to the letter. I can connect through my 3DS and it can reach the internet in the internet settings. I can't connect through the nintendo zone however nor can I seem to get any streetpass hits.

Also no Firewall or AV running.

darren42

Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo zone won't work beause the hotspot you have created would have an encryption setup on it, as it is a requirement when setting up a wireless hotspot on a windows computer. Nintendo zone will only work on an unencrypted network.

As for the issue with streetpass hits, double check to see if the mac address you choose is the same as the actual mac address that the wireless hotspot is using.

Cerepol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh I tried some of the "personal" addresses in the spreadsheet and those are working. For some reason the prime ones do nothing for me.

lordelohim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could someone please provide with advice on how I might set this up using two wirelss dongles and leaving my wired connection untouched?

Nintendo3dsDude

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh could someone make a video on how to do it on windows 7 i tried but I'm not good with those stuff and it's pissing me of :(

darren42

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh I tried some of the "personal" addresses in the spreadsheet and those are working. For some reason the prime ones do nothing for me.

There are some people here that when they try to use the prime addresses, the first bit of the actual mac address that the hotspot uses is shifted. For example when they try to set "4E53504F4F46" as the mac address that the hotspot uses, the mac address "2E53504F4F46" is used instead. So check the acutal mac address that the hotspot is using to see if you have this problem when using the mac addresses from the prime list.

Could someone please provide with advice on how I might set this up using two wirelss dongles and leaving my wired connection untouched?

You will only be changing the mac address of the wireless connection so it shouldn't affect your wired connection. The only thing you will need to do with your wired connection is to enable internet sharing on it so that the devices connected to the hotspot can connect to the internet

Ugh could someone make a video on how to do it on windows 7 i tried but I'm not good with those stuff and it's pissing me of :(

It might not be a video but I have attached to my post the set of instrutions that I created on how I set up my hotspot connection. It has images to accompany most of the steps so that might help you in setting up yours. There may be some slight differences between the images and what you see on your computer because of the different computer setups but you should be able to get the idea.

Attachments

• Streetpass Relay Station Setup Instructions.pdf
    703.7 KB · Views: 418

lordelohim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me see if I can explain what I mean simply. I have a wireless router, with wired connections to my PC, another PC, and 2 XBOX 360s. I use my PC as a media server, and when using a dongle and sharing my wired connection, my media server was being disrupted every 10 minutes when the MAC was shifted. In order for the relay to work, I need to set it up without including my wired adapter at all, so the media server can't be disrupted. I have two wireless dongles, at least one of which I know for sure works in the relay setup, as I did have it working when I found out it created a problem with my media server. I also have the Sanoxy Repeater, but I have not been able to figure out how to get it working as a relay either.

witchiez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There are some people here that when they try to use the prime addresses, the first bit of the actual mac address that the hotspot uses is shifted. For example when they try to set "4E53504F4F46" as the mac address that the hotspot uses, the mac address "2E53504F4F46" is used instead. So check the acutal mac address that the hotspot is using to see if you have this problem when using the mac addresses from the prime list.

You will only be changing the mac address of the wireless connection so it shouldn't affect your wired connection. The only thing you will need to do with your wired connection is to enable internet sharing on it so that the devices connected to the hotspot can connect to the internet

It might not be a video but I have attached to my post the set of instrutions that I created on how I set up my hotspot connection. It has images to accompany most of the steps so that might help you in setting up yours. There may be some slight differences between the images and what you see on your computer because of the different computer setups but you should be able to get the idea.

Hi, I followed your PDF instruction. But the MAC adress of my Virtual Mini port won't change.

3ds.png

I don't really know why it won't change. I've tried many different methods but I couldn't get any streetpass hit.

The Mystical One

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After installing the custom Atheros drivers as instructed by Radz, I've followed your final directions regarding macshift. The connections see each other, but the virtual wifi miniport's MAC is ever-slightly different.
Physical NIC is 4E-53-50-4F-4F-46
Virtual miniport is 0E-53-50-4F-4F-46

Not sure if that will affect the overall amount of streetpasses I will receive, but the important part is IT WORKED.

So far I've received just one streetpass all the way from Japan. But hey - I will take it!

If anyone has experienced a similar pattern with their streetpasses or with the virtual miniport's MAC, I'd love to hear if there are any fixes (if necessary).

(Thank you Radz, The Mystical One, and AtrieMcD for your assistance!)

You're welcome. Since this is a problem that other people also have (0E to start), you'll be tagging from a smaller pool of gamers who have the same problem. Only other solution would be to find a driver that doesn't have this problem (possibly impossible!), or get a different wifi card whose drivers do not have this problem.

The Mystical One

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I followed the steps given by ArtieMcD and everything goes exactly as expected except one thing... The Mac address on the Virtual Wifi Miniport didn't change after changing the MAC on my wireless NIC.

My 3DS recognizes the "attwifi" wireless network and connects successfully to it, but it never receives a street pass... I guess it's because the different MAC address on the Virtual Miniport:

Maybe this information will help to clarify my case:
0zy2.jpg

ify5.jpg

As you can see both MAC's are different... I tried restarting both wireless interfaces with no success.

Any help is welcome... thanks in advance

Looks like your card/this drivers don't allow for this. You can
a) try to find different drivers (good luck/hopefully someone can help)
b) Add that virtual MAC to the Personal MACs (as a comment) here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvvH5W4E2lIwdEFCUkxrM085ZGp0UkZlenp6SkJablE#gid=0 and accept that you'll just be getting one every 8 hours (assuming people use it... but with my laptop's wifi card (which is in the same family as your wifi card) I seem to be getting them no problem)
c) Get a different wifi card that does work (avoid Atheros chipsets)

The Mystical One

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With MacCycle you have to rename the USB WiFi connection to Wi-Fi in the Windows XP network connections. The SSID will still be attwifi in the ASUS APsoftware.

But it seems MacCycle doesn't cycle automatically. When I tried it, it changed the USB WiFi MAC address but gave an error message then stopped. But I still got a Streetpass. So I have to start it manually each time to change MACs. Technitium still works best for me.

Did you run maccycle from an administrator cmd prompt or did you run it as administrator? You have macshift in the same directory too, right?

BroBuzz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yesterday, I put my MAC Address in "Personal MAC's" tab on the Google Docs page, but I haven't received any Streetpasses yet. Anyone know what the cause is?

My MAC Address is 00:22:A4:7C:1A:18 for reference.

Silent_Ninja_Man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

This is exactly my case. No wonder i always get the same encounters. I think i'm going to buy a USB Wifi dongle, could those who get exactly the same MAC for their WiFi card & "Virtual Miniport" tell us which brand & model of dongle they use ? Thanks !

Radz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is exactly my case. No wonder i always get the same encounters. I think i'm going to buy a USB Wifi dongle, could those who get exactly the same MAC for their WiFi card & "Virtual Miniport" tell us which brand & model of dongle they use ? Thanks !
You probably see a lot of me then because I'm in the 2 series as well. Been sending personal messages about Atheros and being stuck in "2E MAC Hell." :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that guy seriously spent over 2 grand on that hot wheels pc?
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    LTT is a noob
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: :sad: