Retro Games and Consoles!

First gaming experience on a retro console?

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If we are old enough for N64 to be retro, then it was running around in the deku tree as a toddler

If you are calling retro games NES and before, then it was when I was maybe 5 or 6 playing some bootleg bible game on my cousin's NES

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
When my parents brought a Sega mega drive... played Sonic to sunset went to bed.

1994/5 maybe?

still pissed to this day they brought me a Sega and not a Nintendo console.

Reactions: Xzi and Mama Looigi

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my earliest memory of gaming is star trek on either the atari or colecovision. I remember my dad claiming he got a high score or something and running to the bedroom, carrying a jar of candy. I ran into the closet, the jar shattered, and I still have the scar (had to have stitches). :D

• Sad
Reactions: Plazorn

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my earliest memory of gaming is star trek on either the atari or colecovision. I remember my dad claiming he got a high score or something and running to the bedroom, carrying a jar of candy. I ran into the closet, the jar shattered, and I still have the scar (had to have stitches). :D
Wait, but if your dad was running into the bedroom, why were you running into the closet?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My first gaming experience was very similar to P1ngs. Was on holiday when I was about 5 or 6 and in the hotel was two arcade machines one was outrun and one was Rastan Saga. Not sure which one of the two I played first but even today I love both of them games and still play them regularly using emulators.

Reactions: Xzi and Mama Looigi

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I was brought up on the ZX Spectrum ... Bread and butter probably would have been better.
Then it was on to bugging my brother to play on his Amiga 500 - 1Mb trapdoor expansion
Eventually, I was brought a Master System Mk1 probably the first year it was out (87 ?) lots of games I remember on there the biggest of which would be Wonderboy 3 Dragons lair - Actually remember writing a story based upon it for school around the same time.
89-ish My brother's friend bugged up the 500 by spilling orange juice on it and I had that thrown at me to play with after they shopped it round to be fixed and it was gonna be a couple of ton - funnily enough managed to fix it haha I was a precocious little brat (and yes once he saw I fixed it he took it back :sad:. He ended up getting an A1200 when it was launched
I vaguely remember getting a C64 one Christmas and it constantly breaking down and ended up getting an NES despite the Mega drive SNES being out - If anyone can figure out the year Young Guns 2 premiered on ITV that's the year - I know this because it one of the intricate memories I have growing up - I was playing Super Mario Brothers 2 on a 12" Black and white tv on a dresser at the back of the living room - And I finished SMB2 for the first time as the credits on Young Guns 2 rolled.
My other brother moved back in at some point bring in his SNES - Ahhh Mario Kart me, one of my brothers and Older sister would all compete for the time trials on several different tracks
Ooo Ooo Ooo - I also had gotten an Original Gameboy at some point all I can remember clearly there is playing the shit out of Link's awakening. This would have been after my brother with the SNES moved back home as I played LTTP before Link's Awakening

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I have older brothers, so I’ve basically always played on a MD/NES.

They also had an A1200, but I never used that before they broke it….so queue me buying one years later.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ET and Pitfall on Atari, Pong etc. My first "real" experience was NES/Famicom and Mario/Duck Hunt and Zelda. I fell in love with Zelda and I would read the bestiary and guide, and look at the map that came with it just blown away. I remember making it to Death Mountain and feeling eerie because of the music change from the normal dungeon music.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
First console game was likely playing Super Mario World at my cousin's place. It was always something to look forward to as we didn't have any consoles at home at the time.

As for retro games overall my first experience was playing games on this old 286 we had at home and then mainly I ended up playing games from the Microsoft Entertainment packs. Still love these games so much.

Reactions: SAIYAN48

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It was on one of these Pong clones for home TV in 1979..

Qopc06E.jpg

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Aside from various pinball machines that I played in different bars, the first video games I played were Asteroids, Missile Command, Pac Man, City Cinnection, Flicky, in bars and arcades.

As for home consoles, Tetris and Tennis on GB (DMG), and Super Mario Bros and Nintendo Word Cup on N.E.S.

Site & Scene News

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Photos: